Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town | Tuesday 3rd November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Getting out of the league is the priority, therefore I expect us to go for the win here. 

I'm hoping we can line up as shown and will pinch a 1-0 victory. 

This is the team I expect 
    I fully expect Watson to start so either Matthews benched, Gunter on the right and Pratley at CH, or Pratley benched and as above but with Watson in the DM role.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    dickplumb said:
    See no reason not to go for another win.
    I wonder if we’ll see the long awaited appearance of Maddison?
    No you won't. Not fit.
    Wasn’t he on the bench recently, if so he must have picked up a new injury.......or have I missed that?
    Pickded up in training last Friday. Ankle injury. Hopefully be back in squad for weekend.
    Ah......Ok.👍
    Didn’t LB say he might be on the bench tonight?
    Correct.

BTW I'm going for a Chuks red card tonight... Got a feeling his aggressive play style will punished by the ref, despite his style being to out muscle his opponents. 
  • Options
    milo said:

Introduction
    5 wins in a row, 6 clean sheets on the trot. The last time we had any kind of record like that was in 2012 and 1998, respectively. The omens are good for Charlton right now, especially when you consider the players to come back from injury and the limited time the squad has had to gel. Bowyer has already expressed how impressed he is at the fighting spirit amongst the group; add that to the quality we have too, could this season turn out to be one of the best we have had in many a year? Moving swiftly back to the present day, and thankfully this time round, after the announcement of a month-long lockdown, football is not shutting down. So next up are another in form side, making the long trip south, Fleetwood Town.

I think the 2009-10 season we didn't lose a league game for the first fifteen matches.

Our opening record was W W W W W W D D W D W and those three draws were against Leeds, Norwich and Southampton who were the three best teams in the league.

I can understand we want to block that season out due to the way it ended but it was certainly the best start to a season and probably best consecutive run that I can remember

edit: Just looked it up, we lost our tenth game against Carlisle, so lost once in opening fifteen, also went on an eleven game unbeaten run later that year too.
    You’re quite right with what you say. But the point I made was the last time that we won 5 in a row was 2012, and the last time we didn’t concede for 6 games was 1998.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    milo said:

Introduction
    5 wins in a row, 6 clean sheets on the trot. The last time we had any kind of record like that was in 2012 and 1998, respectively. The omens are good for Charlton right now, especially when you consider the players to come back from injury and the limited time the squad has had to gel. Bowyer has already expressed how impressed he is at the fighting spirit amongst the group; add that to the quality we have too, could this season turn out to be one of the best we have had in many a year? Moving swiftly back to the present day, and thankfully this time round, after the announcement of a month-long lockdown, football is not shutting down. So next up are another in form side, making the long trip south, Fleetwood Town.
    I think the 2009-10 season we didn't lose a league game for the first fifteen matches.

Our opening record was W W W W W W D D W D W and those three draws were against Leeds, Norwich and Southampton who were the three best teams in the league.

I can understand we want to block that season out due to the way it ended but it was certainly the best start to a season and probably best consecutive run that I can remember

edit: Just looked it up, we lost our tenth game against Carlisle, so lost once in opening fifteen, also went on an eleven game unbeaten run later that year too.
    I think that was our second loss, first was to Colchester... I made a joke about only losing to teams with the initials CUFC in the league.

The next game was the famous Northwich Victoria debacle where Mcleod got a red for a forearm smash on their play from kick off.

Didn't we go on another unbeaten run a few games after, but drew a lot?
  • Options
    Just enough left in the tank to beat this lot, might not be a good game as we might cancelled each other out, but fancy us to sneak it tonight somehow. Maybe an unusual scorer
  • Options
    barstool said:
    Just enough left in the tank to beat this lot, might not be a good game as we might cancelled each other out, but fancy us to sneak it tonight somehow. Maybe an unusual scorer
    £10 on Amos it is. 
  • Options
    Can see Ched Evans scoring, so we will need two...
    Naaahh, we don't concede .... do we ;)
  • Options
    Tough, niggly game against a team most of us dislike who can play a bit.

I am going 1-1 or a tight 1-0 to us.
    A lot of experience in that Fleetwood team.
    They are very good at what they are good at.

Not to be under estimated.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    dickplumb said:
    See no reason not to go for another win.
    I wonder if we’ll see the long awaited appearance of Maddison?
    No you won't. Not fit.
    Wasn’t he on the bench recently, if so he must have picked up a new injury.......or have I missed that?
    Pickded up in training last Friday. Ankle injury. Hopefully be back in squad for weekend.
    Ah......Ok.👍
    Didn’t LB say he might be on the bench tonight?
    Correct.

BTW I'm going for a Chuks red card tonight... Got a feeling his aggressive play style will punished by the ref, despite his style being to out muscle his opponents. 
    That's a bit out there regarding Chuks, sure he is aggressive in his style
    of play, his build will always make him a tough nut to crack, but i think
    he is tough but fair, so let's just hope the ref don't read your post eh ;)
  • Options
    That run was under Phil Parkinson and League 1 was so much stronger than now with the teams mentioned, Southampton, Leeds and Norwich. To win 8 and draw 3 against those 3 teams was an amazing start 

Swindon was Parkinson's nemesis, not only in the Nicky Bailey Row Z, 2nd leg semi final playoffs game but his last match in charge at the Valley the following January which resulted in a 2-4 loss to the Robins and the tin tack for PP.

Ps. Another season when we were the last team to lose was under Big Bob Peeters in the Championship. More draws than wins in that sequence.
    Swindon as a nemesis always reminds me of the 1-0 loss at home in 2000, when Kiely somehow let in a soft shot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That run was under Phil Parkinson and League 1 was so much stronger than now with the teams mentioned, Southampton, Leeds and Norwich. To win 8 and draw 3 against those 3 teams was an amazing start 

Swindon was Parkinson's nemesis, not only in the Nicky Bailey Row Z, 2nd leg semi final playoffs game but his last match in charge at the Valley the following January which resulted in a 2-4 loss to the Robins and the tin tack for PP.

Ps. Another season when we were the last team to lose was under Big Bob Peeters in the Championship. More draws than wins in that sequence.
    I loved having SCP in charge, however I felt Parkinson's sacking was very unjust.

We were third in the league and Slater said of Parkinson's sacking 'It's clear improvement is needed on the pitch' so instead of funding the promotion push he sacked the manager and brought in Powell. We fell a further 10 places.

What Powell did that summer was remarkable, but you have to question if the sacking could have waited another month to see how things panned out.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

I loved having SCP in charge, however I felt Parkinson's sacking was very unjust.

We were third in the league and Slater said of Parkinson's sacking 'It's clear improvement is needed on the pitch' so instead of funding the promotion push he sacked the manager and brought in Powell. We fell a further 10 places.

What Powell did that summer was remarkable, but you have to question if the sacking could have waited another month to see how things panned out.
    Would have been interesting to see how Parkinson would have done with Wright-Phillips in the side as well

Didnt help that Phil (a bit like Bowyer this season) never really had a proven striker, was always Anyinsah | Benson | Mooney | Burton, although the latter turned out alright
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    barstool said:
    £10 on Amos it is. 
    Joey Barton o.g
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    barstool said:
    £10 on Amos it is. 
    Joey Barton o.g
    Joey Barton vs Olly Groome in Makro's Car Park?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I thought Parky was a slow burner manager. I felt he would get there but it could take a while. I do agree his sacking was unfair, but Powell was a great fit for us. I think in terms of one short period, him changing the team with far less resources than people credit him for, was probably the best window in a short period by any Charlton manager. Bowyer challenges that with our promotion season and maybe even this season (we shall see).

Curbs is still our greatest modern day manager and he built the club by improving it a bit every year. That is up until 2004 when we lost Parker. He did bring in good players after that, but that was our peak where it wasn't so easy to improve a bit anymore.  
  • Options
    I think Bows will rest Pratley and Maatsen and bring in the Cat and the Doctor. 2-1 Addicks with Bogle getting off the mark.
  • Options
    We don’t have another league game until the 14th so I don’t see why Bowyer would be looking at resting anyone when he can rest Pratley Maatsen etc after tonight
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Parky's career since then has shown he's a very capable lower league manager, I hadn't realised he'd managed 798 games, that's more than Curbishley which shows his longevity
  • Options

Swindon as a nemesis always reminds me of the 1-0 loss at home in 2000, when Kiely somehow let in a soft shot. 

Yes, we were top and they were bottom.
  • Options
    Controversial 0 2 win for the ref  :s

Referee: Christopher Pollard (Suffolk) - Never previously officiated a Charlton match before. Only promoted to EFL in 2019/20 season. Handed out 98 yellow cards, 3 red cards, and 8 penalties in 30 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wont be many goals that is for sure.
  • Options
    That's a nice photo with the sun setting
  • Options

Yes, we were top and they were bottom.

On the positive side, and 10 years on, remember seeing us win 3-0 away against Swindon in 2010, goals from Johnnie Jackson, Joe Anyinsah and Paul Benson
  • Options
    Going for 2-0 again tonight. COYR.
  • Options
    Valley photo makes me homesick.
  • Options
    Valley photo makes me homesick.
    Me too mate. 
    Just fuck of corona and let us get back doing what we love 
  • Options
    Backed 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 singles and all of them as scorecasts with inniss fgs
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Any chance Barton had a couple of drinks before the interview? 

What is he on about “... I believe that iron sharpens iron. That’s where the strongest steel is forged – in the hottest fires.”

• Options
    I've got a bad feeling about this game.
    But then I had a bad feeling about the Portsmouth game.
    Also thought that rascal Robinson would put one over us for Oxford.
    So what do I know. 
    2-0 to us.