Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town | Tuesday 3rd November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town
Tuesday 3rd November | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Christopher Pollard (Suffolk) - Never previously officiated a Charlton match before. Only promoted to EFL in 2019/20 season. Handed out 98 yellow cards, 3 red cards, and 8 penalties in 30 games.

Introduction
5 wins in a row, 6 clean sheets on the trot. The last time we had any kind of record like that was in 2012 and 1998, respectively. The omens are good for Charlton right now, especially when you consider the players to come back from injury and the limited time the squad has had to gel. Bowyer has already expressed how impressed he is at the fighting spirit amongst the group; add that to the quality we have too, could this season turn out to be one of the best we have had in many a year? Moving swiftly back to the present day, and thankfully this time round, after the announcement of a month-long lockdown, football is not shutting down. So next up are another in form side, making the long trip south, Fleetwood Town.

Opposition
Manager: Joey Barton (40.9% win rate)
Stadium: Highbury Stadium
League Position: 9th | Last 6: WWWLDW
Nickname(s): The Fishermen/The Trawlermen

Fleetwood Town played Oxford United at the weekend winning 2-0, their line up was:

Leutwiler
Edwards | Connolly | Mulgrew | Andrew
Finley | Whelan
Burns | Camps | McKay
Evans

Lee Bowyer v Joey Barton, that would've been a feisty affair in their playing days! This time round, it's their respective teams going up against each other and with a total of 6 red cards in the combined 19 league games so far this season, it could be said that the competitive nature of the two managers are still portrayed out on the pitch. We all know how fantastic our form has been in the last month, but let's take a closer look at the way Barton's Fleetwood Town have been going themselves. With 4 wins in their last 6, they've managed to only concede 2 goals themselves. Impressive when you consider they've beaten Hull 4-1 and drew with Lincoln 0-0, both at home. Fleetwood have also followed up those results with 3 wins on the bounce, all without conceding a goal either. Make no mistake about it, this is going to be stern test for The Addicks to stave off The Fishermen, but it most certainly is a great oppor-tuna-ty to sea-ment our place in the top six, so long as we continue to find the net! Sorry, I'm hooked on these fish puns... :smile:

Personnel wise, Fleetwood possess some real quality and experience in League One. Charlie Mulgrew at centre back, the former Blackburn Rovers defender scored 14 goals in his most recent season at this level. 36 year old midfielder, Glenn Whelan, has almost 100 international caps for Ireland and has spent much of his career in the Premier League for Stoke City. Paul Coutts, a technical and comfortable on the ball midfielder has played over 100 games in the Championship for the likes of Preston, Derby, and Sheffield United. Mark Duffy is another midfielder who even at his age of 35, has flourished in recent seasons under the guidance of Chris Wilder at Sheffield United. And of course, up front they have two proven scorers at this level of Ched Evans and Paddy Madden. But one player I would like to focus on is someone I haven't yet mentioned, Wesley Burns. The Welsh winger is also capable of playing at right-back, and with turning 26 later this month, should be heading right into his prime. Burns, a Cardiff City supporter, who was let go by the club at the age of 15, actually grew up with someone I know in a little village by Barry. He's not going to be a name many people would know or talk about at this level, but he most certainly is a key member of Barton's side. Quick, strong, and a real workaholic, Burns will cause us problems down our left-hand side and be prepared to cover his full-back to double up when we are attacking. If Maatsen plays at left-back, Burns will likely be his biggest test yet.

Charlton Team News
Williams finally scored his first Charlton goal after 53 appearances for the club. What a month of October it was for the Welsh Wizard who scored his first goal for Wales in Bulgaria and also celebrated his 27th birthday near the beginning of the month too. His goal set The Addicks on their way to an impressive victory at fellow high-flyers Portsmouth, another result that sets the tone for the rest of the season, and one where others will look and know how difficult a game they'll have whether they play us home or away this season.

On team news, it seems like when we are just taking one step forward, we suddenly take one step back. As Inniss and Watson return to the squad after serving their one-match bans, we learnt that Maddison picked up another ankle injury on Friday in training. The attacking midfielder is joined by Akin Famewo who departed proceedings at Fratton Park on Saturday with a minor hamstring injury himself. Whilst Alfie Doughty underwent surgery on his left hamstring on Saturday, the rapid winger is set to be out for around 4 months. In good news, Oshilaja, Pearce, and Gilbey are all back out on the grass and it's hoped they should be available after the next international break. Having as many internationals in our squad has done us a favour so far this season!

With Chuks Aneke coming off the bench and sealing victory with a fine header late on at the south-coast, it's expected that Bowyer will reshuffle the pack for Tuesday evening's clash, and big Chuks coming in for Bogle up front is one change we should almost certainly expect to see. Inniss and Watson will slot straight back into the starting XI, which should see the impressive Gunter slide back across to his natural right-back position. Matthews, who performed admirably in his first game in his second spell for the club, is as Bowyer has explained, really rusty. It would be wise to assume he'll occupy a place on the bench for this one. Maatsen was suffering with cramp late on against Portsmouth, and with playing Saturday-Tuesday for a couple of weeks, bringing in Purrington to protect the young Chelsea loanee is definitely something the gaffer is likely to consider. Other players like Smyth and Levitt could come back into the side, but Bowyer will be wary of making too many changes to a team that hasn't conceded for over 9 hours. 

Easily adaptable to a slightly different shape, more of the one we saw against Oxford United last week on Tuesday evening...

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Purrington, Levitt, Morgan, Williams, Bogle

Prediction
A really tough match where our defensive record will be put to the test. Having the experience of Pratley and Watson in the side could be a big factor in extending the fantastic run. But with being at home and the quality we have across the whole team, I think that will prove yet again to be just enough. The Addicks get the better of The Fishermen, and find themselves only one point off top spot with a game in hand come 9pm.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Fleetwood Town
Aneke
Inniss

Comments

• Options
    Excellent preview Sage. 
    I reckon your line up will be pretty close to what Bowyer picks. 
    One last big effort from the team before they can have a well deserved break with Bowyer sure to make changes for both the upcoming cup games.
    2.1 Charlton (We can't keep clean sheets forever).
    Onwards and upwards for the mighty Addicks. 
  • Options
    Great preview as always mate... Famewo is going to be an interesting case @ 6pm on Tuesday evening

Bowyer seemed to hint after the game that it was an issue with his back rather than his hamstrings so does he get given an injection (if needed) to get through this last match before a three week break, or does he just get rested completely and comes back into the fold for the Gillingham clash in three weeks time - Bowyer of old would probably play him, but with the likes of Danny Murphy (physio) around now, I wont be surprised to see your line up

Quite an evening for big games on Tuesday night, along with our clash you've also got

Lincoln v Portsmouth
    Sunderland v Ipswich
    Danny Murphy Physio? What's that about? New physio member? Must have missed that 
  • Options
    Another 2-0. Boring, boring Charlton!
  • Options
    I think LB once said, after pairing the 2 left footers Pearce and Sarr together and watching them failing miserably as a pair, that he would ideally always want to play a right and left footer together in the centre of defence.

As an outside bet, how about an Innis/Purrington combination or a back 3 of Gunter or Pratley/Innis/Purrington combination? 
  • Options
    Another stern test. It would be asking too much if we took 3 points and no injuries but i am going 1-0 to the Addicks.

• Options
    Sam Finley returns to the valley for the first time since the start of 2019, where he pickee up a 5 game ban for stamping on Taylor's head
  • Options
    Great preview as always mate... Famewo is going to be an interesting case @ 6pm on Tuesday evening

Bowyer seemed to hint after the game that it was an issue with his back rather than his hamstrings so does he get given an injection (if needed) to get through this last match before a three week break, or does he just get rested completely and comes back into the fold for the Gillingham clash in three weeks time - Bowyer of old would probably play him, but with the likes of Danny Murphy (physio) around now, I wont be surprised to see your line up

Quite an evening for big games on Tuesday night, along with our clash you've also got

Lincoln v Portsmouth
    Sunderland v Ipswich
    Danny Murphy Physio? What's that about? New physio member? Must have missed that 
    Was brought in during Nimer's time, not the footballer you may think of
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
    Overdue.

All your fault. It's 18 months since you last got it right.  :smile:

• Options
    Amos
    Gunter, Innis, Pratley, Maatsen
    Watson 
    JFC, Williams, Shinnie
    Smyth, Aneke

Will be a real test without Famewo who is so comfortable playing out from the back, I think Williams getting dragged on 70 was with a view to get him in for Tuesday makes sense to be start him again as he’s in good form.  Not even sure JFC starts to be honest as he can be injury prone wouldn’t be that surprised to see Morgan or Levitt get thrown in.  Matthews not played enough to go again Tuesday you’d think.

Tails are up think we win again, 1-0.  Big Chuks.
  • Options
    Win your homes and draw your aways. 1-0 to us! 
  • Options
    Great review 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I think LB once said, after pairing the 2 left footers Pearce and Sarr together and watching them failing miserably as a pair, that he would ideally always want to play a right and left footer together in the centre of defence.

As an outside bet, how about an Innis/Purrington combination or a back 3 of Gunter or Pratley/Innis/Purrington combination? 
    No! What is wrong with two right footed players playing together ? Adams/ Bould, Rufus/ Brown , Ferdinand /Vidic.  The problem with left footed players is that their right feet tend to be so useless that they can be easily rolled onto their weak sides .  Innnis and Gunter, please 
  • Options
    It's the sort of game we'll lose after such a good run . Can't see it though. Another 2-0   Smyth and Chucks
  • Options
    Surprised we are 6/4 but home advantage not as great now, still think that is generous
  • Options
    don't agree that at home is an advantage in an emptyish stadium, tough game, 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 changed needed from Sat

Innis for Famewo
    Aneke for Bogle

Could possibly rest Pratley for Watson but happy with either to play the holding roll.

• Options
    With the run we have had, avoiding defeat would be ok. Next league game could see a few back from injury. Will be tough but we are looking good so should be confident. I think we can secure another 2-0. 
  • Options
    Cod preview as ever, had me hooked straight away. Neither team finds the net 0-0. 
  • Options
    Inniss back is good news as this will be a physical encounter  . Tempted to keep the excellent Pratley in ahead of Watson, and play Aneke and Bogle together. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Our current run:

One 0-0, followed by two 1-0 wins, then three 2-0 victories.

Tuesday should see the start of four 3-0 successes, to be followed by five @happyvalley.

I'll settle for any win, preferably with another clean sheet.
  • Options
    These previews are one of my favourite things on Charlton Life!

I thought a point would be a good outcome against Pompey so picking up a fairly comfortable win means my optimism is at ridiculous, unsustainable, levels for this match. Famewo will be a big miss but Innis is a good replacement. At the other end of end pitch we have some nice headaches. 
  • Options
    I think we will lose our run of clean sheets but a nice 3-1 home win will do nicely 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    1-0 win to keep things moving very nicely. 

Tuesday will be another tough match as Fleetwood are an experience team in this division. It will be very similar to the Oxford match expecting a lot of tackles breaking up the play. and trying to wind Charlton up whilst time wasting when possible. I actually rate Joey Barton as a manager and think this will be a very hard fixture. 

• Options
    edited November 2020
    0-0.
    Cant see either team finding the net against The Fisherman. (Thanks Leuth. Glad I didn't turn up at the wrong ground again) 
    Unless there is a gap in the back four and very late Icelandic signing arrives to fillet.
    Will remain on the hook trawling through the live feed, expecting the tightest defence in the division to school us in their skills.
    Amos to catch everything, a great oppor tuna ty for him. No debait.