Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Charlton | Saturday 31st October 2020

Right here we go again, this time at Fratton Park.

We've got both Watson and Lurch suspended, Maddison injured to add to the usual missing.

Charlton: Amos; Maatsen, Famewo, Pratley, Gunter, Matthews; Williams, Forster-Caskey, Shinnie; Bogle, Washington

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Aneke, Morgan, Levitt, Smyth, Vennings

Comments

• Options
    I’ve never believed in a player being Charltonised before... but the case of Marcus Maddison might be the one that changes my mind FFS!
  • Options
    I hope we go 442.
    Keep Pratley in midfield 
  • Options
    It’s a decent line up given what we have available but I’m just desperate to see us put out our strongest available XI sooner rather than later. Feels like that hasn’t been an option for us since August 2019 for various reasons.
  • Options
    I’ve never believed in a player being Charltonised before... but the case of Marcus Maddison might be the one that changes my mind FFS!
    He twisted his ankle or something in that mock match, the one where Oshilaja got injured.

Sounds like he rolled it again in training yesterday. He wouldn't have been on the bench on Tuesday if he wasn't considered at least fit enough to play some part, Callum.

• Options
    What's up with Maddison now?
  • Options
    Pompey: MacGillivray, Johnson, Whatmough, Raggett, Brown, Williams, Naylor (c), Cannon, Curtis, Marquis, Harness

Subs: Bass, Nicolaisen, Pring, Morris, Close, Hiwula, Harrison
  • Options
    I hope we go 442.
    Keep Pratley in midfield 
    Can't see it starting that way ...... the line up screams 3-5-2, at least IMO.

It's one thing for Gunter to play right sided CB in 3 at the back, but he's not really a CB - unless he's surprised a few in training.
    So I wouldn't start him in at a flat 4 at the back. 

Bowyer might think different, of course ha ha

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    I hope we go 442.
    Keep Pratley in midfield 
    Can't see it starting that way ...... the line up screams 3-5-2, at least IMO.

It's one thing for Gunter to play right sided CB in 3 at the back, but he's not really a CB - unless he's surprised a few in training.
    So I wouldn't start him in at a flat 4 at the back. 

Bowyer might think different, of course ha ha
    Yeah, none of us saw Purrington as a Centre-Back for example

Seems Gunter has played CB twelve times in his career with one of his five goals coming when he played there... Anytime scorer today?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    He twisted his ankle or something in that mock match, the one where Oshilaja got injured.

Sounds like he rolled it again in training yesterday. He wouldn't have been on the bench on Tuesday if he wasn't considered at least fit enough to play some part, Callum.

I’m just itching to see him play some proper minutes. A game like today he could really make the difference and it’s blow to not have him available in any capacity. I don’t think he has any kind injury history but somehow this happens when he signs a contract in SE7... typical eh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's up with Maddison now?
    According to twitter “Marcus Maddison sits out after picking up a minor knock in training on Friday”
  • Options
    No Morgan on the bench. Really out of favour, it seems.

Williams needs to make an impact, can't afford to carry him.

Up the Addicks
    Que?
  • Options
    good selection,. Gunter in the middle and Matthews back at R Back .. come on youse Addicksssaaaa !!!!
  • Options

Up the Addicks
    He is on the bench.
  • Options
    iFollow have just shown Gunter at Right-Back with Matthews next to Famewo...
  • Options

Up the Addicks
    He is, isn't he?
  • Options
    Doncaster v Lincoln the other big game towards the top of the table today

Sunderland currently struggling @ Gillingham
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:

I’m just itching to see him play some proper minutes. A game like today he could really make the difference and it’s blow to not have him available in any capacity. I don’t think he has any kind injury history but somehow this happens when he signs a contract in SE7... typical eh!
    Agree all the way, Callum. I kind have imagined he'd either start instead of Williams at AM ..... or play wide on the right in a 4-3-3.
    No doubt in my mind, if he'd been fit he would have started.

Today we needed his creativity, pin point crossing and perhaps even a goal from outside the box.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LB rates Matthews a lot.
    I don't think this is a game for JFC in a storm, I'd rather start Levitt but let's see. Come on boys a win today would really be showing the rest.
    Surprised Barker aint even a sub. Let's hope we get no injuries/sending off CB position 
  • Options
    This was always going to be a tough one without two key players. Looks like it’ll be five at the back, which it should be given that Gunter isn’t actually a centre half and is only one for playing in the middle as part of a three. I don’t think this line up gets the best out of everyone if it is 3-5-2. You’re asking a lot of JFC defensively, asking Gunter and Pratley to play slightly out of position and putting Washington in a role where he’s a bit less effective than he is coming off the wing. It will be interesting to see how we perform without two of the players who have been such a key part of our clean sheets. I suspect that might end today so let’s hope Bogle and Williams can get their first goals for us as I think we’ll need more than one 
  • Options
    Team formation per the iFollow coverage:

Maybe Gunter and Matthews switched round, Old Man Prats slightly deeper at centre-half-back, and Willo slightly further upfield at centre-half-forward.
  • Options
    Doncaster v Lincoln the other big game towards the top of the table today

Sunderland currently struggling @ Gillingham
    Sounds a bit like a lot of the games in this division - after 70 minutes both sides have had ONE shot on target!
  • Options

Ignore me, I'm unwell.

Up the Addicks
    Make you right about Williams, he really needs to turn up today 
  • Options
    Williams really needs to boss this game. 
    Big moment for him. 
    Shame about Maddison. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    LB rates Matthews a lot.
    I don't think this is a game for JFC in a storm, I'd rather start Levitt but let's see. Come on boys a win today would really be showing the rest.
    Surprised Barker aint even a sub. Let's hope we get no injuries/sending off CB position 
    Has made me chuckle what with Levitt struggling and Forster-Caskey "impressing" last weekend

Sun appears to be breaking out down there too which is good
  • Options
    This was always going to be a tough one without two key players. Looks like it’ll be five at the back, which it should be given that Gunter isn’t actually a centre half and is only one for playing in the middle as part of a three. I don’t think this line up gets the best out of everyone if it is 3-5-2. You’re asking a lot of JFC defensively, asking Gunter and Pratley to play slightly out of position and putting Washington in a role where he’s a bit less effective than he is coming off the wing. It will be interesting to see how we perform without two of the players who have been such a key part of our clean sheets. I suspect that might end today so let’s hope Bogle and Williams can get their first goals for us as I think we’ll need more than one 
    Don’t agree about Washington, he made his name as a striker. I’m sure we’ll see him move out to the left and hopefully combine well with Maatsen. 
  • Options

Maybe Gunter and Matthews switched round, Old Man Prats slightly deeper at centre-half-back, and Willo slightly further upfield at centre-half-forward.
    Shinnie on the left can't be right surely.
  • Options

iFollow really don't have a clue when it comes to formations do they
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!