Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Loan Watch

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Saturday 21st November 2020

The evening before his parent club played; George Lapslie was lining up for Mansfield Town as they played host to Colchester United. With this game neither on SKY or a local derby am not too sure why this game was brought forward to the Friday night - Lapslie would once again play the full game yet wasnt up to his usual standards last night, the midfielder could only get an assist at best which brought his scoring run to an end... The Stags would ultimately draw 1-1, Colchester equalising with five minutes left on the clock, another ex-Addick (Callum Harriott) getting the assist.

That result would keep Mansfield on just the one win for the season and remain three points above the drop what with Stevenage losing 1-2 to Bolton Wanderers.

Mansfield now turn their attention to a midweek encounter with Harrogate Town in the League.

In League One and it was the same old story for Bristol Rovers this afternoon, they've announced this week the appointment of Paul Tisdale who will have a lot of work to do in the coming weeks; they would fall to a 1-0 defeat at rivals: Swindon Town... Erhun Oztumer would remain on the bench in this game with the result dropping the Pirates into the last relegation spot, a disappointment for fans who expected a much better challenge further up the table this season.

Their next game is certainly going to be a big one, they travel on Tuesday night to fellow strugglers: Wigan Athletic.

Moving to the National League and with no midweek report its a reminder that both Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison played in the 5-1 at Dover Athletic on Tuesday night, the home side would open the scoring only for Josh Davison to equalise within fifteen minutes before the Cards would go on to win comfortably... Dempsey playing the full night, whilst Davison was replaced with ten minutes to go.

Today they would play hosts to Londoners: Barnet who (like Yeovil) are struggling in the opening weeks of the season and Woking would take full advantage (despite having a man sent off after thirty minutes), running out 4-1 winners, surprisingly Josh Davison didnt score in what has become a rarity since his loan move and would once again make way before the game was over; Ben Dempsey on the other hand would see out the entirty of the game, which as a result would move Woking into second place, yet still five points behind Torquay United.

Woking now dont play again until the 1st December when they play host to Sutton United.

Finally its worth mentioning Richard Afrane-Kesey, I can only presume that the youngster has remained on loan with Margate who will shortly be looking to resume their season once we exit this current lockdown period; It has been confirmed that the FA Trophy will resume before any other competitions, so Margate will be returning to action on Tuesday 8th December as they play hosts to Burgess Hill Town in the First Round Proper of the competition.

Clubs have been advised that they will be allowed to play their games on either the 5th or 6th December provided that both clubs are in agreement.
    Why do you put your ( very informative, excellent ) reports in the conditional “would play”, rather than “played”, out of interest ? 
    Not sure to be honest, think its something I've been doing without realising...

I know I've said before that I dont have qualifications / experience etc. in writing so I really appreciate people picking up and highlighting things like this - Sometimes I worry about sounding too robotic and repetative with my style so perhaps make too much effort to sound otherwise which brings out things like this.

Its another reason why I've started doing this Loan write up (provided I can remember those out on loan; e.g. Clayden), I've been doing the Previews for so long I thought it would be a small project for me to do something different and branch out
    Please don’t think I was being critical - I’m learning too ! 
    Nah I took it in a positive way dont worry about that
  • Options
    LeeValley said:
    According to the BBC Oztumer played the whole match.
    FFS I scoured that teamsheet on Google and couldn't see him - Need to go back to the BBC for line ups
    He’s quite a tiny fellow...
  • Options

The evening before his parent club played; George Lapslie was lining up for Mansfield Town as they played host to Colchester United. With this game neither on SKY or a local derby am not too sure why this game was brought forward to the Friday night - Lapslie would once again play the full game yet wasnt up to his usual standards last night, the midfielder could only get an assist at best which brought his scoring run to an end... The Stags would ultimately draw 1-1, Colchester equalising with five minutes left on the clock, another ex-Addick (Callum Harriott) getting the assist.

That result would keep Mansfield on just the one win for the season and remain three points above the drop what with Stevenage losing 1-2 to Bolton Wanderers.

Mansfield now turn their attention to a midweek encounter with Harrogate Town in the League.

In League One and it was the same old story for Bristol Rovers this afternoon, they've announced this week the appointment of Paul Tisdale who will have a lot of work to do in the coming weeks; they would fall to a 1-0 defeat at rivals: Swindon Town... Erhun Oztumer would remain on the bench in this game with the result dropping the Pirates into the last relegation spot, a disappointment for fans who expected a much better challenge further up the table this season.

Their next game is certainly going to be a big one, they travel on Tuesday night to fellow strugglers: Wigan Athletic.

Moving to the National League and with no midweek report its a reminder that both Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison played in the 5-1 at Dover Athletic on Tuesday night, the home side would open the scoring only for Josh Davison to equalise within fifteen minutes before the Cards would go on to win comfortably... Dempsey playing the full night, whilst Davison was replaced with ten minutes to go.

Today they would play hosts to Londoners: Barnet who (like Yeovil) are struggling in the opening weeks of the season and Woking would take full advantage (despite having a man sent off after thirty minutes), running out 4-1 winners, surprisingly Josh Davison didnt score in what has become a rarity since his loan move and would once again make way before the game was over; Ben Dempsey on the other hand would see out the entirty of the game, which as a result would move Woking into second place, yet still five points behind Torquay United.

Woking now dont play again until the 1st December when they play host to Sutton United.

Finally its worth mentioning Richard Afrane-Kesey, I can only presume that the youngster has remained on loan with Margate who will shortly be looking to resume their season once we exit this current lockdown period; It has been confirmed that the FA Trophy will resume before any other competitions, so Margate will be returning to action on Tuesday 8th December as they play hosts to Burgess Hill Town in the First Round Proper of the competition.

Clubs have been advised that they will be allowed to play their games on either the 5th or 6th December provided that both clubs are in agreement.
    Thanks for your detailed updates, @ForeverAddickted - much appreciated. Please don't take this as a dig but why use 'would' nearly all the time, as in 'would open the scoring', rather than 'opened the scoring'? 
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Thanks for your detailed updates, @ForeverAddickted - much appreciated. Please don't take this as a dig but why use 'would' nearly all the time, as in 'would open the scoring', rather than 'opened the scoring'? 
    Yeah @wmcf123 pointed it out to me too from the same post, certainly dont take any comments like these as digs - Hopefully Ive improved a bit with my writing this evening in the sense of not using words constantly for the sake of it :) 
  • Options

Yeah @wmcf123 pointed it out to me too from the same post, certainly dont take any comments like these as digs - Hopefully Ive improved a bit with my writing this evening in the sense of not using words constantly for the sake of it :) 
    Thanks for the reply. Mentioning grammar is risky so I'm relieved to have got away with it. 
  • Options
    I know he's not a Loan player, but does anybody  know howLewis Page has been doing at Exeter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know he's not a Loan player, but does anybody  know howLewis Page has been doing at Exeter?
    Played up until the 24th October for Exeter before picking up a hamstring injury, he's still injured
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Thanks for the reply. Mentioning grammar is risky so I'm relieved to have got away with it. 

Oh, no you haven't. Grammar Police here. Why haven't you got a capital B for Bob in your user name? :smile:

I set up my account on a laptop which didn't have shift keys, or caps lock or a space bar or any keys that have the contact details of capital letters. Later, I would regret it and I would fear being picked up on it, especially if I would pick on a lovely chap like ForeverAddickted.
    Sorry I'm taken :D
  • Options
    Played up until the 24th October for Exeter before picking up a hamstring injury, he's still injured
    Cheers mate. I'm on mobile and couldn't find the Lewis thread.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oh, no you haven't. Grammar Police here. Why haven't you got a capital B for Bob in your user name? :smile:

I set up my account on a laptop which didn't have shift keys, or caps lock or a space bar or any keys that have the contact details of capital letters. Later, I would regret it and I would fear being picked up on it, especially if I would pick on a lovely chap like ForeverAddickted.
    Is it the right answer. Charges withdrawn.

I'm not so sure about your affection for @ForeverAddickted though. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Seeing as you've dropped the charges, I won't be asking the police to talk to you about a question mark which has gone missing.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Sorry I'm taken :D
    2020 just keeps getting worse.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Seeing as you've dropped the charges, I won't be asking the police to talk to you about a question mark which has gone missing.
    LOL I've just read it back. It wasn't supposed to be a question though, Bob.

I meant to write "Is the right answer". I'm going to have to sack my proof reader. :smile:

• Options
    Sunday 29th November 2020

One day on from victory in Suffolk its the turn of our loan players to take centre stage.

With it being an FA Cup weekend it meant that the likes of Ben Dempsey, Josh Davison and Charles Clayden each had the weekend off at Non-League level.

So first up it was Erhun Oztumer and Bristol Rovers who faced up against National League North opposition; Darlington... The latter were part of the Football League until 2010 when they got relegated to the Conference and never returned, things got worse for the Quakers and they were wound up in 2012 which led to the birth of Darlington 1883. That team are now on the way back and in 2017 received approval from the Football Association to drop the "1883" from their name and return to the traditional "Darlington.

Unfortunately for the Non-League team they were unable to advance to the Third Round for the first time since 2003 - Bristol Rovers would run out 6-0 winners with Erhun getting on the scoresheet making it 4-0 shortly before half-time, and so scored his first goal since the opening fixture of the season when he netted the sole Charlton goal in a 2-1 EFL Trophy defeat at AFC Wimbledon.

Bristol Rovers return to League One action on Wednesday night as they play host to Gillingham.

For George Lapslie, the FA Cup dream also continues for both him and Mansfield Town and they in turn defeated Non-League opponents: Dagenham and Redbridge, this tie was a little bit tighter than the above with the Stags needing a last minute winner (in Extra Time) to avoid a penalty shootout, and so advance with a 2-1 victory over their visitors.

Mansfield like Bristol Rovers and Charlton next play on Wednesday evening as they travel to high flying Cambridge United who currently occupy the third and final automatic promotion slot... Regardless though with both Erhun and George advancing in the FA Cup it gives Charlton fans potential interest in the FA Cup draw on Monday evening (BBC1 @ 7pm), of course this is the stage when both could end up with potential Premier League opposition!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to see him get some chance in the first team, he at least has pace and I believe wouldn't count towards the cap as he is u21? 
    Josh surprisingly turned 21 in September
  • Options
    I'd like to see him get some chance in the first team, he at least has pace and I believe wouldn't count towards the cap as he is u21? 
    Josh surprisingly turned 21 in September
    Still classed as under 21 for this season though ....... qualification is aged under 21 on the 1st January 2020

• Options
    Been a bit remiss of me forgetting to keep this updated the last couple of fixtures so very brief update:

1st / 2nd December 2020

George Lapslie: Played the full ninety minutes in Mansfield's win over high flying Cambridge United, resulted took them to 19th
    Erhun Oztumer: Played the full match with Gillingham travelling to the West Country, the Kent side would run out 2-0 winners

Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison returned to action with Woking as they hosted Sutton United. Ex-Welling United midfielder: Harry Beautyman would score the only goal for the visitors with both of our loan duo earning yellow cards in the game.

Saturday 5th December 2020

George Lapslie: Another full match and a fourth goal on loan @ Mansfield, would help earn them a point against Crawley Town which ended 3-3
    Erhun Oztumer: Again, another full match and this time three points for Bristol Rovers, beating AFC Wimbledon 4-2 in the Capital

Another two starts for Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison yet another defeat for the Cards, they would fall to another 1-0 defeat this time on the road at Notts County with Ben Dempsey earning his second yellow card in as many games.

Wednesday 9th December 2020

Nathan Harness: Would make his League debut for Welling United, earning the Wings a 1-1 draw at struggling Braintree Town

Saturday 12th December 2020

George Lapslie: Doesnt do rotation this lad, continues to play every minute for Mansfield, earning a yellow card for his troubles in what was a 1-1 draw at Grimsby Town... The result leaves in 19th, despite five points in the last three games, the Stags remain just three points from the relegation zone - Mansfield travel to Carlisle United on Tuesday night which'll be a happy venue for George being a Charlton fan!!

Erhun Oztumer: Missed todays 2-0 win over Plymouth Argyle through injury yet is expected back within a reasonable time frame, the second victory on the bounce has lifted the Pirates into 15th - Erhun will of course remain absent for Bristol Rovers' next game as they travel back to London for Tuesdays game against Charlton Athletic.

Woking would finally win after losing their last two games with Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison both involved this weekend, 3-0 the scoreline over Hartlepool United, the result leaving the home side firmly in the Play-Off spots!! - Nathan Harness on the other hand would be involved in his second game for Welling United yet the young 'keeper was unable to stop his side from falling to a 1-0 defeat at home to Chippenham Town

Am unsure on the status of Charles Clayden's loan at Dulwich Hamlet, the youngster was sent off on his debut after earning two yellow cards, yet hasnt been seen on the teamsheet since
  • Options
    Watching Quest, a lovely through pass from George for the runner created the penalty
  • Options
    How old is Dempsey? He looks 35!

did he buy a birth certificate off of Kanu 
  • Options
    Good news for Dempsey, a slowish start there but seems to have settled and pushed on.  Not sure he will ever make it with us but I do recall one of the knowledgeable posters on here saying he was decent and had a chance.
  • Options
    Dempsey turned 21 last month. By all accounts, Ben and Josh are doing very well at Woking. Woking fans on Twitter want to keep gold of Josh past January bud think he’s too good for the conference. 

Good to see the young lads on loan doing well!
  • Options
    Saturday 19th December 2020

We talk about rotation being over used in SE7 but young George Lapslie continues to play minute after minute in League Two; Tuesday night saw the Stags travelling to the North West and Carlisle United... They would return home with zero points, conceding five minutes before half-time in what was the only goal of the game - As a result they would remain 19th and three points above Stevenage in the relegation places, albeit with superior Goal Difference... This afternoon saw Southend United travelling to the Midlands for a relegation six pointer, once again George Lapslie would play another ninety minutes (the only game he hasnt was when he was sent off on his debut), this time the points were shared, 1-1 the scoreline, with the home side resucing a point with ten minutes left

George Lapslie and Mansfield will travel to Scunthorpe United, knowing a win could easily lift them to 18th.

Dropping to Non-League and it was cup day for both Josh Davison and Ben Dempsey as the two lined up for Woking in what was the FA Trophy Second Round, facing them were fellow National League side: Dover Athletic, yet it would be the home side (Woking) that advanved to the next stage of the competition, running out 2-1 winners, neither loanee getting on the scoresheet... Elswhere and it appears as though the loan spells for Nathan Harness (Welling United) and Charles Clayden (Dulwich Hamlet) have now ended, with both players absent in recent fixtures for their respective sides - Football has of course ground to a halt for Erhun Oztumer; Bristol Rovers have had their recent fixtures called off due to COVID-19, yet could potentially return to action on Boxing Day when they visit fellow strugglers: Milton Keynes