Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Bartram Interview - from 1981

2»

Comments

• Options
    rina said:
    He seems to be suggesting that the burst ball could have led to a drop ball on the goal line. What a strange rule
    That's exactly what happens whenever play is stopped whilst the ball is in play and it can't be blamed on one team or the other.  Very quick thinking on Sam's part, it would have been so easy to go, "Oi ref, we need a new ball... oh foook".
  • Options
    @Miserableoldgit said he kept goal in a half time penalty tournament at Keith Peacock's (first) Testimonial against Chelsea in the early 70's.

So some of you have seen him play and not realised it. 
  • Options
    Brilliant, first time I’ve heard him speak
  • Options
    Stig said:
    rina said:
    He seems to be suggesting that the burst ball could have led to a drop ball on the goal line. What a strange rule
    That's exactly what happens whenever play is stopped whilst the ball is in play and it can't be blamed on one team or the other.  Very quick thinking on Sam's part, it would have been so easy to go, "Oi ref, we need a new ball... oh foook".
    brainfart from me. it's only just clicked that he was on the line when he caught it. I was thinking he'd caught it further out
  • Options
    An excellent find, never heard him speak before.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Here is some footage I found of Sam (I think) in action in 1940. The only problem was that he was guesting for Millwall and let in two against Chelsea. I think Sailor Brown guested for them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pvj6haQ3W0