Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aaron Henry - loaned to Crawley p8

Comments

• Options
    A few too many comments on here that don't fall in line with the "support your own" stance we should be showing. 

He needs to show he isn't one of those players who are too good for U18 and U23 football, but can't quite bridge the gap in the mens game when you are pressed and harassed in midfield. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Not going to right off a 19 year old who has played less then a handful of first team games, if Holden wished to re-sign him then will trust his judgement.
    What does he care he's apparantly going to Huddersfield!! :p
  • Options
    Leaburn, Ness and Campbell are the three younger players who have impressed this season and I would be delighted if they all signed contract extensions. 
    As for Henry I think he's a fair way behind these in his development. 

The bar was set higher for Aaron Henry as he made his debut in January 2020 when only 16.5 months old; do we have another Jon-Jo Shelvey was the question raised ?
    The answer was no, but ?
    Scott Parker made his debut when just 17 and then spent 3 years mainly on the outside of the squad.
    It wasn't until the month of his 20th birthday that he had a two month loan at Norwich, playing 6 Games, 1 goal scored and learnt how to get stuck in while playing in the lowly League 1 with the Canaries.

Do I believe we have another Scott Parker ?
    No, but can he improve enough to be a regular starter ? Possibly, but like others who have seen him play more than I, his game isn't there yet.

I wish him well next season and he can just be Aaron Henry, who has kicked on and his game can go to the next level. 
    A big difference was that we were PL at the time, and it's a real ask for a youngster to play against top PL players in midfield. Parker's loan spell at Norwich was in the Championship too.
  • Options
    I've not been particularly impressed with him, but at 19, he shouldn't, I believe, be written off.
    Slightly concerning for me though, is the amount of fuss being made over the signing (all over Twitter etc ). Does this point to a lack of ambition regarding further signings? Hope not!
  • Options
    I thought he showed some class in his forward passing, but needed to learn how to defend and take a challenge And yes, I thought he was worth keeping
  • Options
    Things are on the up. We've made our first 1st 11 signing in Henry. If he goes to the Miles Leaburn summer school from last season, he will be well conditioned!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leaburn, Ness and Campbell are the three younger players who have impressed this season and I would be delighted if they all signed contract extensions. 
    As for Henry I think he's a fair way behind these in his development. 

The bar was set higher for Aaron Henry as he made his debut in January 2020 when only 16.5 months old; do we have another Jon-Jo Shelvey was the question raised ?
    The answer was no, but ?
    Scott Parker made his debut when just 17 and then spent 3 years mainly on the outside of the squad.
    It wasn't until the month of his 20th birthday that he had a two month loan at Norwich, playing 6 Games, 1 goal scored and learnt how to get stuck in while playing in the lowly League 1 with the Canaries.

Do I believe we have another Scott Parker ?
    No, but can he improve enough to be a regular starter ? Possibly, but like others who have seen him play more than I, his game isn't there yet.

I wish him well next season and he can just be Aaron Henry, who has kicked on and his game can go to the next level. 
    A big difference was that we were PL at the time, and it's a real ask for a youngster to play against top PL players in midfield. Parker's loan spell at Norwich was in the Championship too.

Agreed but Parker did get into our 1st team at a youngish age when replacing the injured  Mark Kinsella shortly after that Loan spell. No teenager but still 20.
    Yes, it was the second tier and called the First division in 2000, only changing it's name to Championship much later when EFL became the title. The 3rd tier being called League 1 is a misnomer !
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see whether we send him out on a developmental loan or whether he is in the squad as backup for McGrandles or whoever.
    I know what I think
    fuck me that's a truly awful prospect
    1) that the hapless McGrandles is anywhere near our first team
    2) we could have a manager that rated that utter chump more highly than Aaron Henry
  • Options
    Holden must have a plan for him and i'd assume that involves a loan as i can't see any benefit to his progression in keeping him here just to play U23 football and the odd cup game.

Henry talks a lot in that interview about how much he learnt on loan at Wealdstone, so i think a league 2 loan is the next logical step up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I do believe in the addage they are ready when they are ready but we do have a few of the right age, including Henry, who could make the jump next season. We already have a few who seem to have done so in Leaburn, Ness and Campbell. I have a very good feeling about Kanu also. But again, they are only ready when they are ready, not when we want them to be. It is probably the one advantage of being in League One and if the three I mentioned push on further and more come into the fray it could actually be a benefit to the club being in this division next season. Could being the optimum word.
  • Options
    Everyone on this thread saying league 2 loan, I’m not sure any league 2 team would take him tbh. National league loan till January makes sense, and then we can always recall him if we have an injury crisis. If he does well there then a league 2 team can take him on in January 
  • Options
    He’s the next Albie
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPAqbOTLZc

My Insta Story with Aaron Henry (June 2023)

• Options
    A lot of days he will always remember

• Options
    edited June 2023
    The Jury is out on Monsieur Henry for me, I’ve seen him have some absolute worldie matches, and some absolute stinkers, where you wonder how he made it to a professional level.

All the best Aaron, keep working your nuts off.
  • Options
    I don't believe anyone has seen Henry have a worldie game, maybe a couple of worldie strikes.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't believe anyone has seen Henry have a worldie game, maybe a couple of worldie strikes.
    Yes, so far he's the sort of player who only shines in Instagram and TikTok clips where you see the strikes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good move for him , hopefully Crawley don't go through 3 managers like they did last season and Aaron can get regular games. 
  • Options
    Great move. 
  • Options
    Hopefully gets plenty of game time, and comes back an improved player. Crawley are a bit of a mess which would be the only concern.
  • Options
    Good move. Exactly what he needs, and it's a testament to how we've strengthened this summer that we can let him go out on loan and hopefully play regularly. I was worried we were going to Albie Morgan him, he'd always around the first team hut never a full time regular and as such his development is stunted. 

If things go well at Crawley I think we get back a first team player next season. 
  • Options
    Good move for us and him
  • Options
    Karlan Grant came back from his Crawley loan twice the player. We can hope.
  • Options
    Will be interested to see if McGrandles follows out the door now
  • Options
    Scott starting to earn his money, some more please and a decent striker 👍