Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aaron Henry - loaned to Crawley p8

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    I think he has good technical ability, but that is about it really.. Doesn't seem to read the game very well, doesn't have much pace about him. 

A lot of hype about him when he was younger, but doesn't seem to have developed as much as we would have liked.
  • Options
    You hear fans critiquing performances of Anderson, Asiimwe, Kanu and sometimes Leaburn.

Some of these lads are 18! Madness.... 
    I don't think that's fair. There's a massive difference between commenting on a players performance in a match and generally slating them. If we can't criticise players like Anderson for their performance, why are they playing? 
    I think sometimes (no one in particular) people get a bit OTT in defending players. It's a huge part of the game and social media/forums to discuss opinions on players. It would be pretty boring if we all just said they're brilliant. 

On the subject of Aaron, I don't see him being as good as Albie was in recent years and although there is a 3 year age gap, I think Albie had a far promising future here where he mainly struggled with psychological issues imo.

All the fans I spoke with at Crawley said Henry wasn't up too much and they don't expect him to be a mainstay player in their team. They did however say Karlan Grant was the best player by a mile at the club when we loaned him there.

I want it to work out but I have seen nothing to suggest he is breaking into this team, especially with the emergence of Anderson who looks very promising so far.

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Some of us Charlton fans certainly do know how to write off a youngster don't we - he's 20 years old!
    He must have played in about 30 games for us over the last few years, and apart from that half volley against QPR, he’s literally done nothing to suggest he is/will be good enough. Is that writing off a youngster or just judging them on how they’ve performed?
    Lets say its near 30, I would say 90% of them have probably been from the bench maybe?

I just can't see how people are able to make such a quick assumption when so few games have been played and has not totally developed into professional men's football yet?

The club have just given him a 2 year deal so they surely see something worthwhile persisting with.

Not sure why some expect them to be the finished article coming through our academy? It rarely works like that...

As @Todds_right_hook said he'll either be with us or somewhere else by this time next year.
    Rather it's another highly questionable club decision. 

Never going to good enough and usurped by Anderson. 
    What on Steve Avory's recommendation? Yea he usually gets it very wrong doesn't he  :/ 
  • Options
    You hear fans critiquing performances of Anderson, Asiimwe, Kanu and sometimes Leaburn.

I don't think that's fair. There's a massive difference between commenting on a players performance in a match and generally slating them. If we can't criticise players like Anderson for their performance, why are they playing? 
    Your right there is a massive difference. Writing someone off for the first team in the future, after nearly 30 sub appearances, before any genuine development has taken place is not commenting on a players performance....

This is exactly my point. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The club know what they're doing with young players. Henry is here for a reason. If he doesn't kick on then he'll be gone. 
  • Options

Your right there is a massive difference. Writing someone off for the first team in the future, after nearly 30 sub appearances, before any genuine development has taken place is not commenting on a players performance....

Well it is commenting on a players performance because presumably that opinion is formed based on his performances. For what it's worth, I agree that Henry needs some more time before a fairer judgement can be formed, although a poor loan at Crawley will not help. Ultimately, we want to be in the Championship or have the players to get there so if he struggles at Crawley you have to doubt whether he can come back and make an impact. 

My original point was in reference to criticising the youngsters that we have and are playing. Most of the criticism I have seen is the lack of depth we have which provides the opportunities. It's fine if teenagers are getting gametime because they have earned it, concerning if they're playing because they're the best of the youngsters and we're forced to use them. The four players you mentioned have received significant praise of the last year or so but whilst it's not their fault if they're not ready, I don't think it's unfair to point that out or say they had a poor game. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The club know what doing with young players. Henry is here for a reason. If he doesn't kick on then he'll be gone. 
    Of course although mistakes are made. Tchamadeu and Zemura are two players released over the last few years who would get into our team now. I appreciate factors like simply getting better or improving their attitude can come into play. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The club know what doing with young players. Henry is here for a reason. If he doesn't kick on then he'll be gone. 
    Of course although mistakes are made. Tchamadeu and Zemura are two players released over the last few years who would get into our team now. I appreciate factors like simply getting better or improving their attitude can come into play. 
    Exactly mate, those are two players we let go that we shouldn't, so if the club think there's a chance Henry might yet still develop, why not keep him for now
  • Options

Well it is commenting on a players performance because presumably that opinion is formed based on his performances. For what it's worth, I agree that Henry needs some more time before a fairer judgement can be formed, although a poor loan at Crawley will not help. Ultimately, we want to be in the Championship or have the players to get there so if he struggles at Crawley you have to doubt whether he can come back and make an impact. 

My original point was in reference to criticising the youngsters that we have and are playing. Most of the criticism I have seen is the lack of depth we have which provides the opportunities. It's fine if teenagers are getting gametime because they have earned it, concerning if they're playing because they're the best of the youngsters and we're forced to use them. The four players you mentioned have received significant praise of the last year or so but whilst it's not their fault if they're not ready, I don't think it's unfair to point that out or say they had a poor game. 
    Yea fair point and if that is the case then I am sure he will be moved on. 

I just don't understand how some make an assumption so quickly when certain things haven't been tried and tested. 

I mean he wouldn't be the first youngster, to be written off by some fans, to then come back and bite us in the arse at a later date.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Exactly mate, those are two players we let go that we shouldn't, so if the club think there's a chance Henry might yet still develop, why not keep him for now
    Agreed, he deserves a year in league 2 that’s for sure. Hopefully things pick up for him, I know his highly rated he was 2/3 years back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As @Todds_right_hook said he'll either be with us or somewhere else by this time next year.
    This is a very astute observation.
  • Options
    Recalled from this loan and sent to National League Wealdstone 
  • Options
    Ouch
  • Options
    Still got another year and half on his contract plus an optional year. Needs a big improvement over the next year if he’s going to have any chance of making it here. Wonder if we’ll look to move him on permanently in the summer? A young player can’t be loaned out forever on the off chance he develops.
  • Options
    I’m not surprised, I’ve never seen him do a thing to suggest he’ll ever be good enough for us.
  • Options
    He had a short run of games at the end of last season, and his mobility looked way off L1 standard. Worrying for his career that he how has had to be sent down to the NL.

If there's something HE can do about it, hopefully this will be a bit of a wake up call.
  • Options
    Told you he was rubbish. Extended contract, what a joke we are.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    I’m not surprised, I’ve never seen him do a thing to suggest he’ll ever be good enough for us.
    TBF his goal v QPR last season was a bit special. 
  • Options
    Looks unlikely to make it with us, sad for the lad as, good enough or not he will have worked his socks off to get this far.  Hopefully he can get a proper run of games and come back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan was better. 

Which says a lot. Great finisher though.