Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

book thread

Comments

• A very kind fellow Lifer lent me the Derek Dougan auto biog.

Very very intersting read- especially given that it was written 30 years ago about a very different Ireland- or should i say Ulster.

First book i'd read since the Curbishley book.
  • His Dark Material's are awesome, absolute crackers. I'd have to reccommend The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes by Paolo Cohelo if anyones searching for something to read. Certainly made me look at life differently and i'd go as far as to say I changed myself as a person after reading both these books. Also anything by Harlen Coben if your looking for a light easy enjoyable but also exciting read (Deal Breaker and The Innocent being my favourites).
  • edited July 2007
    I have to totally agree with you redarmy, every single book you have mentioned are excellent reads. I have to say His Dark Materials are by far my favourite. I hear they are making a film on each book?
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]A very kind fellow Lifer lent me the Derek Dougan auto biog.

Very very intersting read- especially given that it was written 30 years ago about a very different Ireland- or should i say Ulster.

First book i'd read since the Curbishley book.

Not like a normal player biog at all is it. Shame he didn't write another about the rest of his life (unless he did and I've not seen it)
  • Very socially aware- and let's be honest most football biogs aren't too big in this area-

Agree it would be a fascinating follow-up to read his assessment of the "Ulster" situation over the last decade.

Thanks Henners!
  • Another vote for Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. Finished it while on holiday a couple of weeks ago. A highly recommended read.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I'd have to reccommend The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes by Paolo Cohelo if anyones searching for something to read. Certainly made me look at life differently and i'd go as far as to say I changed myself as a person after reading both these books. Also anything by Harlen Coben if your looking for a light easy enjoyable but also exciting read (Deal Breaker and The Innocent being my favourites).

I would second these recs but would say with Harlen Coben to avoid his series featuring Myron Bolitar, as they are frankly rubbish compared with his standalones.

I'm currently reading a book about the Zodiac serial killer and have just finished the Alan Carr smoking book (still not smoking but it is in no way easy as Mr Carr would have you believe!!!). I have got a "To Read" pile of about 10 books at the moment due to stopping smoking book taking so long to read.
  • ltgtr, your taste is obviously very similar to mine, read Banana Skin years ago, great book, as are the Milligan ones. Moons a Balloon an all time favourite too. Try Stephen Fry's Moab is my Washpot, or any Fry book come to that.

Recently read Charlie Connelley's Stamping grounds and In Search of Elvis, top reads, along with Attention all Shipping. Also Harry pearson's Achtung Schweinehund is a recent goodie.

Jake Arnott's Long Firm trilogy is (are?) good too.
  • Vulcan 607 - is a boys own adventure, bought it for my dad at Christmas had it back before New Years and was then with my Step Dad about a week later.....

Just read One Step Behind by Henning Mankel, a Swedish translated crime novel, thought it was very good indeed.

Also recently read Dark Fire by C J Sansom, a Tudor crime novel really good set in London in Henry 8th's time I would highly recomment this to any Londoners out there, got me excited about history again.
  • Try Alain de Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life". Most stimulating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs!

EVERY BLOODY NIGHT! My 4 Year old loves it!
  • billy bragg - progressive patriot. just finished mark thomas - as used on the famous nelson mandela.
  • Al Gore, The Assault on Reason.

As soon as you've read the first chapter you think, "Christ, how different things might have been if...."

Couldn't have that, could we? A thinking person in charge of the worlds greatest superpower.

Before that I read The Carpet Wars by Christopher Kremmer and Inhaling the Mahatma by the same author, both fantastic books for anyone who wants greater insight into Islam and the history of the middle-east and sub-continent.
  • Anonymous Rex by Eric Garcia. It's a typical detective story about sex, betrayal, drugs, dinosaurs, murder... Yep - it;s a detective story with dinosaurs in it. Read it years ago and thought it was great - re-reading it and it's just as good.

Just gone through a load of books I read a while back and am picking out the best ones to read again. Finished some Carl Hiaasen and Robert Crais last week, after this I'm doing 'Buffalo Soldiers' by Robert O'Connor, 'Iced' by Ray Shell and 'The Roaches Have No King' by Daniel Evan Weiss.

I'm also reading a study guide for the CEH exam but that's just sad...
  • Tom Sharpe - vintage stuff...very funny
    People's mass book for ireland(approved for use in ireland by the liturgical commission of the hierarchy of ireland)
    Alan sillitoe - saturday nght and sunday morning
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]ltgtr Try Stephen Fry's Moab is my Washpot, or any Fry book come to that.

thanks for that, i'll look them up in the bookshop later...to be honest, i'm not generally a biography reader and it has to be somebody who i think would have a good tale to tell for me to pick it up, sinatra, norman wisdom, the ones above, that sort of person...i definitely dont go for the footballer 'biographies/diaries'...what a load of bollox they are though nelson's left foot forward is obviously well worth the read...curbs book ?...all i can say about that is i'm glad somebody lent me their copy...its rare that i dont bother finishing a book but that fell into that category and joined a select company that includes something by ben elton that was given to me once...i dont think i got past the first page before i threw it away...i dont know about the rest of you lot but whenever i see somebody reading a book i always have a peak to see what it is they are reading in case its something that might interest me as well hough the trouble is it mainly seems to be women that read books on the trains/tube these days and books with titles like getting rid of martin or whatever dont quite do it for me (unless they're by some ex-sas guy or a mafiosi hitman and i hadn't realised)...
  • hmmm...my boys love this one....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Little-Mole-Knew-Business/dp/1856021017/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-6676029-7958052?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184318071&sr=8-1
  • i've just bought Extracts from the Alastair Campbell Diaries. I'm not sure what to expect but its massive so i'll tell you what its like in about 2010
  • Have also bought the Alastair Campbell book, and agree that it's going to be a bit of a long read.

On a similar theme, I've also bought the biography of Gordon Brown by Tom Bower. Can't make up my mind about him at the moment, so want to get a bit of a clearer understanding of where he's coming from.
  • Thought this was worth bumping.

I'm reading "The Small House at Allington" by Anthony Trollope - 5th in his 6 book Barset series. He really knows how to string words together, and if that recommendation isn't enough, he also invented the pillar box.

Before that it was "Black Dahlia" by James Ellroy, which is in the same series as LA Confidential - brilliant crime stories about as far away form the world of Anthony Trollope as possible.

Any Ellroy/Trollope fans out there?
  • Sponsored links:

• liked LA Confedential ( is it that ellroy )

reading: into that darkness-gitta sereny & blood meridian-cormack mccarthy
  • edited January 2011
    I quite like Ellroy as well. It's nothing more than pulp in a modern style - not in the same league as Chandler or Hammett, but definitely one of the better modern crime writers. Other guilty pleasures for me are Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke and Lawrence Block.

Currently re-reading 'Native Tongue' by Carl Hiassen. Side-splittingly funny.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i've just bought Extracts from the Alastair Campbell Diaries. I'm not sure what to expect but its massive so i'll tell you what its like in about 2010

Ok its now 2011 and you still havent given us your synopsis......
  • Keith Peacock - No Substitute, going a bit slow at the moment because I'm at the Gillingham chapter which is rather less interesting to me.
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate - Stewart Lee

One of those books that makes commuting a positive pleasure - cant wait to get on the train to read it. Has had me in stitches several times already, and the extensive footnotes are full of throwaway jokes. Shows how Lee's comedy is studiously constructed and given a great deal of thought.
  • Just wondered if any Lifers have invested in a copy of my book "Really Sayin' Something - Memoirs of a Soul Survivor", published by www.bankhousebooks.com and reviewed here-
    http://www.groovesvilleusa.com/blog/?p=484
    You don't have to be a soul fan to relate to what I've written, describing the musical education of a 1960s teenager, record hunting, radio shows, package tours, local clubs, etc....which maybe some older Lifers may relate to!
  • the book of general ignorance
  • You need to read anything John Niven has written.

Kill Your Friends and The Amateurs are the two funniest books I have ever read

Depends on your sense of humour but they were both right up my inappropriate street
  • Reading Bridsong - Sebastian Faulks, just finished Anna Karenina both on kindle
  • Jim Thompson - The Unsolved Mystery.

Thai silk tycoon who went missing in Malaysia and has never been found.