Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stupid business talk.

Comments

• Options
    We need to think outside the box (just out of interest, how big is the box?)
  • Options
    We need to think outside the box (just out of interest, how big is the box?)
    18 yards by 44 yards.
  • Options
    The optics on this are...
  • Options
    The cadence of the reporting /process etc. 

Had to look it up to know what was meant. Naturally it’s an imported phrase from US colleagues. 
  • Options
    The optics on this are...

... empty. Go and get another bottle.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    Forward planning (have you tried backward planning?)
  • Options
    Peel the onion
    Elevator pitch
    Look under the bonnet
    Al desko
    Strategic staircase
    Punch a puppy
    Touch base offline

And no presentation is complete without the use of 'holistic'

All phrases used by me in my final handover to my Board before I fucked off into retirement.

Cost my Director £100 and the bar tab at my leaving do.

• Options
    'The art of the possible' really makes my shit itch, along with: 'Let's take that offline', and 'We'll workshop that' 

• Options
    Getting our/my ducks in a row
    keeping my powder dry

any press release by a CEO of any major company is usually buzzword vomit.  

Culture and values are also two words that are bandied about too much and have created an industry for those that were bullied at school 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ‘We’re a values based business’

‘He’s ex-IBM or he’s ex Google’ 
  • Options
    We're looking to achieve a 'sea change' .......
  • Options
    Since I retired from multi-national pharmaceuticals a few years ago, I have come to miss Lean Sigma philosophy.

I especially miss the 'green belts' who would guide our every step ... suitably risk-assessed before, of course. 

I will confess that I once managed to get through a three-day training course (aka Boot Camp ... I kid you not) without removing my Lean Sigma ring binder from its shrink wrapping ... and no-one even suspected.

This Covid pandemic will change many things, some for the better.  One of my expectations is that these vacuous, non-value added, self-perpetuating activities will fall by the wayside, and somehow we'll get by just fine.
  • Options
    WIOTOS
  • Options
    'The art of the possible' really makes my shit itch, along with: 'Let's take that offline', and 'We'll workshop that' 

"The art of the possible" is doubly annoying when it is the mantra of someone committed to squashing every idea proposed by their underlings; more like art of the impossible.

The particular ignoramus I'm thinking of did used to make me laugh though when she'd talk about having a 'Pandora's Box' full of ideas, obviously not understanding the significance of what that meant. No-one ever explained to her. It was just left as a very public sign of her ignorance. 
  • Options
    This thread is amazing. Going to run a few ideas up the flag pole and circle back on it later.
  • Options
    "Blue sky thinking" WTF does that mean?
  • Options
    With @i_b_b_o_r_g

"Touch base".
  • Options
    If you need to use "corporate speak" then you are no good at your job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you need to use "corporate speak" then you are no good at your job.
    Run that past me again...?
  • Options
    Interesting how a word or phrase will take hold in an organisation and then spread. Recent examples where I worked include 'transformation' (in reality moving a bit faster than glacial), 'pivot' (change direction) and 'landed' (as in 'yes, that really landed with me').

I normally ask a colleague to punch me if they hear me spouting such bollocks.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Culture and values are also two words that are bandied about too much and have created an industry for those that were bullied at school 
    I absolutely hate that crap! All corporate 'values' are the same shit, just worded slightly differently. 

We all have an annual objective 'to work in accordance with the corporate values' and have to come up with some crap to say how we've done it. It's just basic common decency, I don't need a fancy intranet page telling me that I should treat my colleagues nicely and not be an arse! 
  • Options
    Pain point
    Ring fencing
    Solutionise - that's not even a word!
  • Options
    "Blue sky thinking" WTF does that mean?
    Everything is stored on the cloud?
  • Options
    All these phrases/sayings come from US Management gurus who are basically failed TV Pastors.

One of these always makes the meetings more interesting, though one person did shout 'house' two hours into a strategic planning meeting once.

• Options
    I hate it when people use "quantum leap" for something really large.  Let me explain to you about the size of a hydrogen atom...
  • Options
    "Consumer journey"
    "Gathering learnings"
  • Options
    I’m in sales management for an American company so am swamped in this sort of lingo all day long.

”Who is owning this action?”
  • Options
    I used like Drop the Dead Donkey. Gus Hedges used corporate speak In excess.