Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 15 September | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    The first two League Cup games were played on Monday 26th September 1960 - Bristol Rovers v Fulham and West Ham v Charlton. 

Home and Away says that Leary put us one up after 17 minutes, so I was wondering if that was the first ever goal scored in the League Cup? Unfortunately, the Bristol game kicked off at 7.15 (making it the first game in the competition) so there's a good chance one of the three goals scored in that game had already gone in.  Does anyone know? Would be a new first for Charlton we could mention instead of that bloke who came on as a sub.
  • Options
    We obviously need to generate funds to finance a splurge post-ESI(n) so Phillips, Doughty and Barker will start and be given lots of chances to impress so as to put another £5 on the price tag.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    3-0 Wilshire hatrick ( Cheers @Addickted )

;)
  • Options
    The first two League Cup games were played on Monday 26th September 1960 - Bristol Rovers v Fulham and West Ham v Charlton. 

Home and Away says that Leary put us one up after 17 minutes, so I was wondering if that was the first ever goal scored in the League Cup? Unfortunately, the Bristol game kicked off at 7.15 (making it the first game in the competition) so there's a good chance one of the three goals scored in that game had already gone in.  Does anyone know? Would be a new first for Charlton we could mention instead of that bloke who came on as a sub.

Do not know the answer to that question but.............................................................A Charlton player was the First player to score in a European Cup Tie that is A FACT.

• Options
    Think we will qualify. A famous win on Pens.Got hope that tonight will be beginning of rebuilding the reputation of Charlton. 

Absolutely gutted cant attend.

Shameless plug for an article I wrote.

https://footballbettingadvice.co.uk/2020/09/15/addicks-to-put-a-nail-into-the-hammers/
  • Options
    Sorry for being thick (I blame a long day at work), but can I watch the live stream in the UK? 
  • Options
    Don't get all the negatives 
    We are 7-1 so I've put all satudays winnings on it 
    Wasn't a great deal I had a fiver on a charlton win and a little 50p 5 game acci come up trumps so full of confidence I've bunged the lot on and if it comes in will just about buy me a season ticket so coyr
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Sorry for being thick (I blame a long day at work), but can I watch the live stream in the UK? 
    Yeah its only UK residents that can (£10) 
  • Options

Do not know the answer to that question but.............................................................A Charlton player was the First player to score in a European Cup Tie that is A FACT.

First scorer in THE European Cup was João Martins for Sporting (thanks Wiki), but I'm guessing you mean a different European cup? Was this on one of the tours in the 1940s?
  • Options

The answer is Eddie Firmani 4th June 1955 DID NOT transfer to Italy until July 1955
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:
    Yeah its only UK residents that can (£10) 
    Thanks mate!
  • Options

The answer is Eddie Firmani 4th June 1955 DID NOT transfer to Italy until July 1955
    Was that a European Cup warm-up game or preliminary round? Teams were invited to take part by the Equip magazine for the first few seasons and I can't find any record of Sampdoria taking part. Great fact if true - just struggling to find the actual game!
  • Options
    Having had to put up with a load of arrogant West Ham fans (mainly those that don’t go) poking fun at our predicament I would love to shut them up.
    if they play a weakened team great gives us a chance.
    Basically, I see it as a free hit. 
    I think everyone saying it’s a pointless game might rethink if they were going to be part of 8,000 Charlton fans attending the game. 
    would have been a fantastic night and probably the first time there had been an atmosphere over there.
    i want to see us field our strongest team and give it a go. 
    8,000 fans for the second round of the micky mouse cup where both teams field reserve sides...............behave.

Maybe it’s me but since we got relegated from the Premier League and before we reached it (apart from the four years under Lennie In Divsion 1 ) I have always looked forward to the Cup games and a chance to play higher league opposition. Whilst we are outside of the Premier League, which at the moment looks likely to continue for some time I will continue to do so. 

People look on the Cups now as a distraction but as a kid I remember playing West Ham (League and FA Cup) Watford, Spurs (Clemence saving the pen and Flash almost snatching it at the end) Ipswich twice. Since then over the years we have had many memorable cup games,  Blackburn away still  being the highlight for me.

I still look forward to the 3rd round FA cup draw and getting a ‘big’ name alas it seldom happens. I also get excited of the thought of a big name in the EFL Cup or whatever it’s called and Yes I do go to the home and some away in the Johnstone paint or whatever it’s called.

Now finally we get a decent draw and we can’t bloody go. Maybe I am over estimating the Charlton support but I would have thought a London Derby against one of our closest rivals at a Stadium we have never played at would have drawn a huge Charlton following, especially as ticket prices would likely have been a tenner as West Ham have done in the past for this competition. 

Yes West Ham will play a reserve team, but if it’s the one the Standard  predicts it cost over £100m to assemble and will have 8 or 9 Internationals. I don’t care who plays for the opposition, I go to watch Charlton and whoever wears the shirt to represent us. 

Yes we most likely lose, but in football you never know and I will always watch Charlton with that belief we will win or get a draw against the odds. 

I want to watch Charlton play  as much as I can and if they are playing and I can go I will. I don’t understand ‘ I have no interest’, ‘ would rather go shopping cinema etc it’s a ‘sh!t competition etc. Watching The games being played in an empty stadium on a stream is crap but I understand why this needs to happen and I still get to watch Charlton.  I am hoping and praying if there is a test i will be one of the lucky ones who will be allowed to attend even if it means sitting in silence wearing a mask and arriving 90 minutes before kick off. 

This is a game against one of the so called big boys, we might not even make the FA cup 3rd round draw this year, we might not play there again in my lifetime.  These are the games as a Charlton fan of 45 years I really look forward to. 

The people moaning about this being a tinpot competition or a waste of time are normally the ones who when we get a big game with limited Ticket  allocation start moaning when they don’t get a ticket , to me all Charlton games are important. 

I want to believe we would have taken 8,000 tonight generated a fantastic atmosphere and who knows what would have happened. I guess we will never know and we can all think what it would have been.

I am clinging to the hope we will sneak a draw and win on penalties and have booked the stream ready to shout at the TV for 90 minutes .

COYR
    Great reply and I am with you 100% but sadly we live in different times now. All that counts now is Champions League, Premier League, staying in the PL if you are already in it and trying to get the PL if you are in The Championship.

I am 63 this year and remember the times when we were glued to the TV or radio to see who we would get in the FA Cup or The League Cup. The excitement of pulling a big team out the hat knowing you would see some of the big stars at The Valley in front of a crowd much bigger than you were used too for league games. 

Or being drawn away to a big club knowing we would take a large away following like Wolves, Blackburn, Man United, Fulham etc.

Sadly times have changed and in my opinion and I believe yours as well for the worse.
    We are both on exactly the same page. 

It’s all about the money, I have watched one Champions league game in the past couple of years, Liverpool v Spurs and that was terrible. 

Unfortunately, it’s the plastic armchair fans who will watch the CL and PL and continue to feed BT and Sky. Apart from the fantasy league and a predictions league I have no Other interest except for Palace and West Ham going down. I don’t care who wins it’s or who finishes where the Liverpool fans I work with have been unbearable as was the Leeds fan, but I have seen their team been to their grounds more than them just watching Charlton. 

Hopefully our time will come again in our lifetime until then we will have enjoy the odd big day out. 

Would be typical Charlton to do something when we aren’t there, I am praying we do. 

• Options
    Call me a stupid old fool, but with Seb, and now, Dr Kish looking down on us,  with a takeover hopeful happening soon, I'm going for a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    Reminder the game is @ 7:30pm tonight not 7:45
  • Options
    From Bowyer's pre-match comments it sounded like Aneke was starting, but he's on the bench again.
  • Options
    Jesus that West Ham lineup 😫😫😫
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Jesus that West Ham lineup 😫😫😫
    They've got a whole City on the bench, guess thats to compete with our State!!

Be good to see Ben Johnson has someone mentioned him being linked in we dont get Matthews

Never heard of their No.33 before
  • Options
    Snodgrass' head looks absolutely massive in that picture. 
  • Options
    Our team looks decent. West Ham’s looks unreal
  • Options
    Bows is starting the dwarf army! Yes!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Could be a big loss but I don't care tbh. Our squad should learn a lot from playing against PL opposition.

Obviously want us to win but more interested to see how Levitt gets on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Our team looks decent. West Ham’s looks unreal
    Are they up for it though? - Always the way with Cup games

Not to discredit giant--killings but I often wonder if they stem not just from luck etc. but because the higher ranked team arent interested in the win
  • Options
    Stream up now, the pitch looks a long way from the camera.
  • Options
    To be fair when you look at out starting line up wouldn't complain if they all started on Saturday LB obviously taking this seriously that's good to see
  • Options
    10 changes for West Ham
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!