Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Alan Minter

2»

Comments

• Options
    Terrific fighter but cut so easily. When he got cut by Hagler, everyone thought it was his head that caused it (as that was the fear in the build up), but it was his fast hands.  Hagler never got the recognition in the UK because of that night. Minter then went on too long, and got beat up by Tony Sibson I think, which should never have happened. RIP
  • Options
    Respect. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Met him and his son, Ross, down at a gym I used to work at years ago. Very nice bloke. RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Big name from the past. 
  • Options
    Very brave fighter shame he cut so easily. 
    RIP Alan  Thanks for the memories. 
  • Options
    Excellent boxer was Boom Boom. RIP. 
  • Options
    If you watch the Hagler fight again you can see that Minter gave it a right crack, he had a massive tear up with Hagler in the way that probably nobody else did until Tommy Hearns about seven years later.

The problem was that Alan, for all his courage, was throwing stones at a bloke throwing rocks back at him.
  • Options
    Great boxer.....RIP Alan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant boxer. RIP
  • Options
    RIP Boom Boom , had the pleasure of meeting him once when I was 19 and he was opening a clothes shop in Bromley high street. I took his book along for him to sign and he asked me if I'd read it and what I thought of it. I replied that I thought it was good and he told me that he thought that it had too much swearing in it . The day was only a week or 2 after he was beaten by Hagler and you could still see the puffyness on his face and the cuts around his eyes dispite wearing the largest pair of sunglasses I've ever seen. Still got the signed book today , lovely bloke.
  • Options
    Loved watching him fight, if it weren’t for the cuts (His Achilles heal) he might, just might have stopped Hagler, we shall never know, RIP. 
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    Loved watching him fight, if it weren’t for the cuts (His Achilles heal) he might, just might have stopped Hagler, we shall never know, RIP. 
    No he wouldn't. 
    Trust me
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    My grandad lived in Crawley and was a big fight fan having boxed in the army. Pretty sure he told me he'd seen Minter running / training around the local area where he lived. 

RIP British boxing great. 
  • Options
    A real crowd favourite. Saw him several times at The Albert Hall but only once at Wembley; one of the Finnegan fights.
    RIP Al

• Options
    Not a chance.

Hagler was never stopped (67 fights!) - and only once was he supposedly knocked down, and that was a slip!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Not a chance.

Hagler was never stopped (67 fights!) - and only once was he supposedly knocked down, and that was a slip!!
    Indeed, Minter hit Hagler with some big shots but Marvellous Marvin just marched straight through them.

No shame in that for Minter, Hagler did that to everyone.