Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Denmark v England tonight

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    We basically played 52 massive gap 3.

Didn't need two DMs on top of a back 5, should have dropped at least one of Phillips, Rice and Dier for Mount or Grealish.
  • Options
    Who would you have instead?
    Howe or Poch?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Howe or Poch?
    I like Eddie Howe but I don't know how he gets into this conversation as a better option than Southgate. Southgate got England to their highest World Cup finish since 1990, picking up a squad that had been knocked out of the Euros by Iceland two years before and didn't get out of the group at the World Cup before that. Howe just got relegated with Bournemouth. How is that in any way an improvement? It's bizarre the way people shift so quickly to sacking the manager off a boring 0-0 draw. I wonder if it's because people have to be angry at a manager but they don't want to rage at Bowyer so they shift it onto Southgate.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Southgate deserves a lot of credit for changing the psychology of the England team. They are a group now, not a disparate selection of players hanging out in their cliques. It's still a work in progress, and we have a lot of young guns coming through with a lot to learn. Switching manager now would be a disaster for the project. He got it massively wrong in the last game and seems to be a bit too wary of the media these days, a trap a lot of managers have fallen into, but he's young himself and intelligent and I think he's more than earned the chance to carry on.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Howe or Poch?
    I like Eddie Howe but I don't know how he gets into this conversation as a better option than Southgate. Southgate got England to their highest World Cup finish since 1990, picking up a squad that had been knocked out of the Euros by Iceland two years before and didn't get out of the group at the World Cup before that. Howe just got relegated with Bournemouth. How is that in any way an improvement? It's bizarre the way people shift so quickly to sacking the manager off a boring 0-0 draw. I wonder if it's because people have to be angry at a manager but they don't want to rage at Bowyer so they shift it onto Southgate.
    Couldn’t agree more. 2 below par performances with a depleted squad and during a strange pre-season. 

Let’s judge him a bit more after Euro 21.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Howe or Poch?
    Its also a case of reverting back to club Managers who arent used to getting a squad together every few months meaning they get very little time to get a team to gel

Robson and Venables are the only ones from club Manager where its really worked of late

Hoddle | Southgate they've each had less than impressive spells in club Management yet have done better with England

Chris Coleman no different, same with Joachim Low who has a record similar to Roy Hodgson

Cant see the point in repeating what has failed time and time again, Southgate has had plenty of setbacks like any England Manager (we had a slow start in the Nations League last time) but he seems to recover from them, does it even really matter if we get to the Nations League Finals or not? - Especially when so many view the games as glorified friendlies
  • Options
    I still believe Shelvey could do a better job than some of the present bunch.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Southgate deserves a lot of credit for changing the psychology of the England team. They are a group now, not a disparate selection of players hanging out in their cliques. It's still a work in progress, and we have a lot of young guns coming through with a lot to learn. Switching manager now would be a disaster for the project. He got it massively wrong in the last game and seems to be a bit too wary of the media these days, a trap a lot of managers have fallen into, but he's young himself and intelligent and I think he's more than earned the chance to carry on.
    Cant blame him in a way... He's given the media a lot of opportunities to be a part of the team almost by including them in things

e.g. take the World Cup camp with the unity that seemed to exist largely between the media and team

Unfortunately though they've continued in their ways and continue to spit in Gareth's face almost, granted that they were within their rights to release the Foden / Greenwood story, thats not what I'm talking about but you of course had the rumoured squad leaks which I imagine has made him a little more cautious of them all over again
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Southgate - Takes England further than in any tournament since 1996, a couple of (pretty much) friendlies the players don't look outstanding and suddenly he's shit?

Nah Southgate can stay, he needs time we can't keep chopping and changing. 
  • Options
    The players plainly don't care much about these glorified friendlies. They are getting ready to go back to their day jobs after a relatively short break and saving their energy for that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pickford

Trent - Gomez - Coady - Trippier

Mount - Rice - Alli

Sancho - Kane - Sterling 

or 

Pickford 

Trent - Gomez - Coady - Trippier 

Rice - Phillips

Sancho    - Alli -          Sterling

Kane
  • Options
    Surely Chilwell should be @ Left-Back rather than having someone makeshift out there

If not him then Bakary Saka | Ashley Maitland-Niles or Brendan Williams

Dont rate Dele Alli anymore either... Would replace him with Phil Foden
  • Options
    Surely Chilwell should be @ Left-Back rather than having someone makeshift out there

If not him then Bakary Saka | Ashley Maitland-Niles or Brendan Williams

Dont rate Dele Alli anymore either... Would replace him with Phil Foden
    Chilwell's injured.

• Options
    I meant in charge of England instead of Southgate 
  • Options
    I'd keep Southgate, he deserves it after good showings in the 2 tournaments and the qualifying so far, but he is making some very daft decisions at the moment and becoming more and more defensive. 

• Options
    Its laughable but Id have Aide Boothroyd or even Steve Holland

Need someone used to the setup of going months of not coaching, getting a team together and then having a few days to get organised

Honestly think that any future England Manager with potential should be put in charge of the U21s first so they've not just got the freedom to learn that side and learn tournament football, but also get familiar with the potential of our youth like what we're seeing with Southgate

Sadly for too long now in the last decade the U21s have been simply ignored which I reckon resulted in the England team stagnating (2010 World Cup) and missed potential
  • Options
    Bothroyd would be awful.
  • Options
    Bothroyd would be awful.
    In which case I'd replace him first before we even think about replacing Southgate
  • Options
    Pochettino.  
    Wenger.  
    Nagelsmann. 
  • Options
    Arteta would be my choice for next England manager anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Southgate has to up his game. Seems like a nice bloke and maybe too loyal to some. Dier in all honesty shouldn't be anywhere near the team.