Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Denmark v England tonight

Comments

• Options
    If this is anything to go by, the first couple of weeks of the Prem are going to be unwatchable
  • Options
    TAA been awful. He was shit when he come on against Iceland.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    If I was Grealish I’d be fuming. Better than anyone in that midfield that is available and 100x more creative.
    If Grealish is Englands saviour then i would be worried. Hes good but fuck me nowhere near the level of others. Cant see him featuring much in my opinion.
    I disagree, he's a very good player, and more importantly he'd actually provide some creativity here which we're completely lacking.
    Here he comes so lets see. 
  • Options
    Good job there’s no fans in the ground, you’d be gutted if you’d paid to watch this tripe.
  • Options
    I only saw the second half, but I'm amazed they're saying it was "better" than the first half. Christ, that was dull.
  • Options
    Whole game was dull, and i watched it.
  • Options
    Was terrible. Gómez and Coady played well. The rest looked poor and more concentrated on the upcoming season. 

Still, we didn’t lose or concede and could even have nicked it at the end. Plenty of players missing as well. 

Southgate will lose the nations confidence tho if he doesn’t score plenty of goals in the next few games.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure Southgate really knows what he is doing sometimes. I'm not anti the formation we played but we were not playing it right. Attackers were not supported properly. A bit clueless for me. Grealish should have come on earlier.
  • Options
    Whole game was dull, and i watched it.
    The whole of the 2 games were dull. Another clean sheet is good, but need to score as well.

No amount of injuries, coronavirus issues, lack of fitness etc. makes Southgate going defensive against Denmark any more understandable. If Rice & Phillips in are in midfield there is no creativity. Sancho/Sterling/Kane up top with a gap the size of the channel behind them before the midfield.

If you're playing TAA and Trippier as wing-backs, why play Sancho and Sterling wide too? Overloads the wings leave Kane alone in the middle, and we know he can't score in August.

Use the excuses above all you like SKY, Southgate etc. But it is the same for a majority if not all, international teams and Belgium just beat Iceland 5-1. Quality of players for them better, maybe so, but not by that margin. Tactically all over the place.
  • Options
     He will lose confidence anyway, the press will jump on if England play like that next game. Shocking display and shocking squad picked....so will all be blamed on Southgate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’ve always struggled to score at major tournaments. Surely we should be trying to play as expansively as possible so we’re in a good place for the Euros.

A 0-0 with Denmark just feels like a wasted game, playing tactics that just don’t really make sense.
  • Options
    Don't know why we decided to spend the entire game just relying on the three forwards when it clearly wasn't working. Mount added a bit of creativity but not enough and we looked at lot more like conceding than they did towards the end
  • Options
    For me the worrying part is that Southgate felt that was good.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    We’ve always struggled to score at major tournaments. Surely we should be trying to play as expansively as possible so we’re in a good place for the Euros.

A 0-0 with Denmark just feels like a wasted game, playing tactics that just don’t really make sense.
    Exactly plus it was a game realistically we needed to win as Belgium is a) the tougher test and b) will probably beat Denmark themselves.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    If TS is reading this thread, I thought Denmark was brilliant and deserved to win, if not, what a load of crap the whole game, I am glad I turned over to the cricket, bad result, but exciting
  • Options
    Terrible game. Grealish is our most creative midfielder and should have come on earlier
  • Options
    Play like that against Belgium and we'll get well and truely battered!
  • Options
    Southgate is useless. 3 CDMs against Denmark ffs. 
  • Options
    Southgate Out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Southgate is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Atrocious. Our plan for 2/3rds of the game was to get the ball wide and then put it in to Kane, who was on his own against 4 defenders. Everyone could see before the teams even went out that 3 CDMs was going to be turgid.

Southgate says it was the right decision after all the dropouts. What kind of message does that send to the squad? When you're sending out 8 defensive players and 3 attackers to hold on for a point against Denmark. He's got that completely wrong and I hope he learns from it, but it doesn't sound like he has.
  • Options
    Saw the lineup and didn't even bother watching it. Imagine my surprise waking up and seeing a team with 3 defensive midfielders drew 0-0.

Southgate is still in credit for me but he has to take some stick for last night. His first positive attacking change, bringing on Grealish for Phillips wasn't until the 76th minute. Poor.

Yes we're in pre-season with a lot of players still getting match fit, but it didn't stop France scoring 4 and Belgium scoring 5.
  • Options
    England have bright attacking players that elevate them into a more than decent team. None of the defensive midfielders did anything wrong, it is just you don't need so many. If Southgate doesn't understand that, he has been promoted above his abilities. I'm sorry but this is basic stuff. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Very poor. Second half was a slight improvement but first half time was amongst the most boring 45 minutes of football I have seen for a while.

Wont blame Southgate for these two matches as a lot of the players haven’t played friendlies for clubs side yet. Thought, Rice had his best game for England ( I think he’s terrible, but played well yesterday).

Another two clean sheets for Pickford. He might be poor at club level but he is yet to have a bad performance at international level. Southgate obviously trusts him so that good enough for me.

Chillwell/Hendog value has increased in those two matches as we missed both of their quality.

• Options
    Southgate:

I picked a cautious team because of Foden/Greenwood. 

Get this guy out of the national team job. He's such a joke. 
  • Options
    Southgate:

I picked a cautious team because of Foden/Greenwood. 

Get this guy out of the national team job. He's such a joke. 
    WTF! Did he really say that?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-denmark-uefa-nations-league-greenwood-foden-b421074.html

"If we’d been lightweight and wide open and looked a mess, we could have left here with a completely different sort of outcome, and everybody pointing at yesterday as the cause of it, and we just needed a solid base to work from tonight."

• Options
    Who would you have instead?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The system we played needed a bridge between the midfield and attack. If you are going to play Dier or AN other defensive midfielder, then Mount and Grealish would have been logical options from the squad. We have two of the best forwards in the World in Kane and Sterling and isolating them is criminal.

What Southgate said, quoted above, is cowardly management. Cowards fail in football. In all honesty, Denmark had a couple of chances that were missed due to poor finishing rather than anything England did. We were a bit fortunate when you think about it.