Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Afternoon Kips

13»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I used to get dangerously drowsy in the days I drove home from work.
    Now I am inclined some afternoons to nap setting the alarm for up to an hour.
    Of course you don’t fall asleep straight away, but if I get 20 minutes out of it that’s fine.
    Anything longer is more like an actual sleep, and hard to wake up from.
    For some reason the desire or need is usually somewhere between 4 and 7pm.
    Top tip.
    If you really need afternoon shuteye then I recommend  watching the Parliament channel and really trying to follow what’s going on, guaranteed to doze off after 5 minutes.
    Now you know not to discuss politics on here ;-)
  • Options
    I'm still 'working' from home.

When I'm at my desk set up I'm ok, but as soon as my arse hits the sofa on the laptop for more informal 'working' in front of the telly.........it's nodding dog o'clock.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Of course you don’t fall asleep straight away, but if I get 20 minutes out of it that’s fine.
    Top tip.
    If you really need afternoon shuteye then I recommend  watching the Parliament channel and really trying to follow what’s going on, guaranteed to doze off after 5 minutes.
    Now you know not to discuss politics on here ;-)
    Yeah. Best discussed on the House of Commoners section.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Top tip.
    As someone who regulates and enforces vocational driver hours, i tell drivers who moan about being fined and prohibited for not taking their rest, there is no difference between a drunk/drugged driver and a tired driver. The reaction time and decision making are impaired by tiredness.
    IF YOU FEEL DROWSY WHEN DRIVING STOP!!! and have a rest. 
    Have been to many accidents downloaded the Tachograph and find extended duty times.
  • Options
    You can nap when you’re dead. 
  • Options
    Just found this thread.  Great advocate of an afternoon nap if possible. Dad was a postman years ago and got up early so he always had '40 winks'.  Feel much better for an afternoon nap now I'm retired.
  • Options
    Sleep or beer during the day are the two things that ruin the rest of the day for me.
    I find watching Charlton matches has the same effect
  • Options
    I do quite enjoy having a baby as I can use him an excuse for a nap whenever I need one. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Im not sure if its a good thing or not, but I have the ability to grab a quick nap at the drop of a hat. On one occasion I managed to grab a bit of shut eye in the midst of a filling at the dentists. I thought I must have dreamt it, but the dentist said after the purple rinse " You were extremely relaxed there".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I started watching the football yesterday on the Telly, fell asleep and missed most of the game, wish I could do it when watching Charlton at the moment!
  • Options
    Still getting my 90 - 120 mins z’s in during the afternoon. Feel so much better for it. 
  • Options
    3pm on a Saturday works for me,,,
  • Options
    I started watching the football yesterday on the Telly, fell asleep and missed most of the game, wish I could do it when watching Charlton at the moment!
    Our defence manage it most games.
  • Options
    3pm on a Saturday works for me,,,
    Works for most of our players as well.
  • Options
    Many years back when my wife was on maternity leave, when  I used to get home from work we used to both get on the sofa and  put indoor bowls on. We’d be asleep within seconds. 

• Options
    When I wasn’t working due to the pandemic, an 1.5-2hr nap around 2pm was a daily occurrence. I got into a habit and couldn’t stop it. Couple of times were real heavy sleeps too, like you’ve woken up in another dimension. Plus waking up from an afternoon nap makes makes me really aggy for about 20 mins, I’m not like that waking up in the morning. Luckily back to work now so knocked all that on the head.
  • Options
    Love an afternoon kip me. Always have and was encouraged by my mother as a young kid to take advantage of doing so whenever I could.

I'm lucky enough to be a be to drop off in seconds once in a comfortable position and never usually kip for more than an hour or so. Always wake up naturally but usually feel a bit shit for the first five minutes. Always sorted by a cup of tea - one of the Worlds great revivers, kept secret by us Brits for hundreds of years.

Even a 20 minute snooze serves the purpose and always feel better for it.
  • Options
    Never works unless i have a crafty wank to relax myself before hand.

Could you elaborate on the 'crafty' bit?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Me too something else that makes the passengers on my coach scream!
    If you are in control of the wheel, then I don’t see what the problem is. 
  • Options
    I never used too but sometimes as i work from home i might try to get 10/15 minutes during my lunch. It's rare but when i do it feels worth it. 

TBF my sleep is all over the place, i dont sleep until late and often wake up, always have done. I would pencil in a nap if i knew i had time to have my lunch and fit in smoothly, mostly i end up putting something on TV and wasting my lunch 
  • Options
    I'm tiered all the time, I slept for a straight twelve hours the other night then still found myself trying to get a kip in the afternoon then that night was sound asleep by 9pm
  • Options
    Were did the word Kip come from?
  • Options
    Were did the word Kip come from?
    All I can find is the Danish word Kippe meant Brothel, so going kippe meant going to sleep with a woman. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hal1x said:
    Me too something else that makes the passengers on my coach scream!
    If you are in control of the wheel, then I don’t see what the problem is. 
    Thats precisely what I said to the Officer in charge. They got me on a technicality though, for failing a filthy emission test.