Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    what does it say, don't have twitter at work
  • Options
    It’s a podcast he went on.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Am a bit concerned his play from the left is going to be easy for opposition coaches to learn and defend against after a few games. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    mendonca said:
    Am a bit concerned his play from the left is going to be easy for opposition coaches to learn and defend against after a few games. 
    Yeah. He is horribly right-footed. Clear left-footed passing and crossing opportunities he tried to hit with his right foot. It looked Sunday league at times. If defenders force him on to his left, he's got nothing. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    mendonca said:
    Scary how many people appear to be happy with Washington being first choice LW, even scarier is the fact Gunter will be playing LB for the first x amount of games. Can’t see us creating anything down the left side with those two.
    Once again square pegs in round holes that has not worked well for us in previous seasons.
  • Options
    He's put the work in physically that's for sure. Would like to see him played about 2 metres nearer to the centre. That's where he had his purple patch last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We clearly need to bring in a LW, assuming we do it’ll be interesting to see whether we go for out and out pace or a more creative technical player. I can see an argument for either.

Ideally we’ll bring in both. Perhaps a strong quick player who can play wide or through the middle, giving us the option of pace out wide and an alternative to Stockley, and another being more of a playmaker, someone who can pick out that killer pass or cross.

NA however might rate Clayden highly enough to see him as one of four main wide attackers.
  • Options
    I like Washington too. Versatile and grafts. I think he’s a decent channel runner too. I’ve no doubt he’ll be important and will chip in with goals too. 
  • Options
    I really rate Washington.

Hard worker, team player and good goal return.

Works better on the right or down the middle but not shabby on the left either.

An overlapping full back or midfielder gives him more options.

Think he's underated by some and is being judged harshly on his performance v a top championship side when he rarely had other players close enough to him.
    This is my view as well. I certainly wouldn't say he has the best vision, passing, or even shooting for that matter - but he plays to his strengths (his movement off the ball both attacking and defending, ball control, fitness) very very well.

I expect he is an absolute nightmare to defend against.
  • Options
    Pleasing to see the bloke getting support on here. He always gives 100% and is a great outlet. I'm also sure he will have a decent season for us. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I really rate Washington.

Hard worker, team player and good goal return.

Works better on the right or down the middle but not shabby on the left either.

An overlapping full back or midfielder gives him more options.

Think he's underated by some and is being judged harshly on his performance v a top championship side when he rarely had other players close enough to him.
    I really rate him as well. But he's got no left foot. Think he may struggle to be at his best in this system.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I guess we are talking specifically about how he would adapt to a role on the left and whether it could suit him over the course of a season. 

Provably best that we don't debate whether he is underated by fans as that will just turn into a typical (of late) ranty CL thread. 

If he grabs a goal early in the season, I can see his confidence brimming. 
  • Options
    Good player, but we risk playing him out of position, concerns me a little. 
  • Options
    Does Conor really have the pace, guile and delivery to play wide as a first option ? Not for me. He’ll do ok in odd games here and there or in an emergency but I can’t see him as a wingman as a preference.
  • Options
    Get an attacking left back in to overlap and he'll be okay - but Gunter behind him does him no favours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Conor had a fast left footed wing back he would be OK in his current position. If we bring in a LW like Miller how will Conor fit into NA's current system?
  • Options
    If Conor had a fast left footed wing back he would be OK in his current position. If we bring in a LW like Miller how will Conor fit into NA's current system?
    That’s what we want, competition for places and depth in case of injuries and suspensions.
  • Options
    Schism - so you bring in a LW and drop Conor until the LW fails or is injured???
  • Options
    Schism - so you bring in a LW and drop Conor until the LW fails or is injured???
    Yes. He’s not a LW. 

Whilst Millar was also quite one footed, he had pace, tricks and could get to the byline and put a ball in. Connor can’t do any of that - show him on to his left and he’d be quite easily nullified.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I like Conor he works hard and seems to be a good character to have in the squad, we’re not playing to his strengths at the moment , playing on the left makes him predictable, Will it literally be down to the last week of the transfer window to bring in a left sided midfielder on loan?
  • Options
    Seems a likeable guy, and a good person to have in a squad but really should be our 3rd choice striker, and certainly not first choice left winger. Exact kind of player we should be aiming to improve on in the transfer window, so he's in a competition for places and can play a certain role rather than being relied upon.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I wouldn’t him drop him instantly, new players need time to settle in, but Washington will have to be playing well to keep his place. The new LW will also have to earn a starting spot.

It could end up another Waggy v Green scenario. Waggy like Washington offered energy, movement and could score 10+ if he started regularly. A new winger may make us a better team, we’ll have to see who we bring in.
  • Options
    We need a LW.

Even if it's just for competition, Washington for me isn't going to the LW that pushes us into the top 2. He's a good player that works hard but just doesn't offer enough on the left to start there.