Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to Play Naby Up Front?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm surprised Leuth is for it
  • Options
    Nah, my galaxy-brain take and most preferred option of all is Naby in midfield
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Nah, my galaxy-brain take and most preferred option of all is Naby in midfield
    Give him a free role
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I want to see Chuks and Bonne together. Bonne is the closest we have to a goalscorer and you can't leave that out. Naby is an extra person to mark and somebody you put one of your taller players against, so is a useful addition for set pieces whether he gets the ball or not.
  • Options
    Can we stop messing around and just play Aneke upfront? By far the most dangerous striker we have. 
  • Options
    I'd rather give Davison a chance, when we were really short of players and he got some game time I thought he looked ok. 

Luckily I'm not in charge though..........

• Options
    Rather than play him upfront, I would like to see us have our most assists and our most goals on the pitch as far as possible.
  • Options
    Need Sarr at the back in a three, providing passes to Doughty. I'd give Davison a crack for an hour or so, then Chuks to come on. 

Need Doughty to pin Byrne back a bit. 
  • Options
    I think we need Chuks starting with Bonne. We probably need a goal to calm us. As the game goes on, we will be more likely to concede if we don't get it.
  • Options
    Last throw of the dice then yeah sure, starting up top nah.... And I'm a Naby fan.

Always wanted to see him in the DM spot, can pick a long range pass, drive forward, grab a goal, set piece height. The 2 CB behind him can cover for the odd mistake. Think we missed a trick there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last throw of the dice then yeah sure, starting up top nah.... And I'm a Naby fan.

Always wanted to see him in the DM spot, can pick a long range pass, drive forward, grab a goal, set piece height. The 2 CB behind him can cover for the odd mistake. Think we missed a trick there. 
    We used to call it "Libero". 
  • Options
    IF he is selected to play up front (he won't be) that will mean us playing nothing but a long ball game and that will play right into Wigan's hands .. I agree with the idea that he could become a decent midfielder although I regard him as a lazy player, he needs a good kick up the backside to get motivated, THEN he might fulfil his undoubted and so far unfulfilled potential even at the age of 26
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I used to hate the long ball game but I think it is a valid tactic now. It is up to others to stop it. We don't have the personnel to play it. If you are a manager, I think it is important to look at the number of passes your team makes on average before losing the ball (which will differ depending on the level you are playing). That should become the number you need to have a shot by. If the number is low, a long ball game would seem sensible. In fact, as a manager, I have been there, done that and bought the T-shirt and it worked at youth league level and I was working with the number 3! 

I think the general rule applies to all football, but you do need the right players to play a passing game and likewise a long ball one. What keeps coming to my mind is a game where you play long ball and passing, interchanging through the game. This would require top players who possess the athletic attributes and talented players tend to resist this sort of play, but I think it would be hard to play against and effective at the highest levels if you could build a team with that in mind. Naby would absolutley work in such a system, but we don't have many that would. Taylor would have been another.
  • Options
    Definitely not lazy. I will accept on his behalf the charge of 'freezing' occasionally, but that's not an attitude problem, more a psychological tic brought about by being, if anything, too emotional and trying to think too much rather than act
  • Options

We used to call it "Libero". 
    It's a Liber-o-ty not trying it.....
  • Options
    Anyway, as I've said, I'm pretty sure Forest will offer him a contract if they don't go up
  • Options
    I'd rather give Davison a chance, when we were really short of players and he got some game time I thought he looked ok. 

Luckily I'm not in charge though..........

I thought Davison was excellent against West Brom, and scored.
    He's a natural center forward, Sarr is not. Encouraging the team to lump high balls into the area might cause some panic in the final minutes, but is no way to play a full match.
  • Options
    I'm glad he's starting, and not up front. We've missed his distribution from the back.

Sure, if we are a goal down with ten minutes to go lump him up there, but not to start.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    By all means stick Naby up front for set pieces and the last desperate 5 minutes as an extra striker to chase a game.

But start him up there? No, he hasn't got a clue about movement, creating space in the box, timing and anticipation off the ball.
    It's just not his game. And it shows.

Do you not recall his sublime stroll into the box vs Hull? ;)
    Of course ........ but he started the move himself from deep, exchanged passes and kept moving from the midfield into the box to be on the end of a pass.

Exactly what our attacking midfielders should be doing!

But as I said in my previous post, Naby doesn't have a clue how to play a central striker's role.
    It's obvious that Bowyer knows that too!