Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 Jul | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic
Saturday 18th July 2020 ... 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)
Last Charlton game: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Doncaster Rovers

Introduction
Football really does have a habit of stiring the emotions doesnt it, unfortunately for Charlton Athletic its never in the right way is it? - Last night saw us on the cusp of achieving yet another minor miracle under this Management team, we were promoted from League One with our own fans expecting nothing short of a titanic battle to try and survive in this tier of English football and the Championship hasn't let us down. Victory against Birmingham City would have all but secured our status in this League for another year, yet in true Charlton fashion we must do it the hard way, its still in our hands yet with two games left we're at the stage where mistakes will be punished on a scale that the most positive fan doesnt even want to think of.

Its not over, there surely has to be another twist in this tale!!

The Oppositon
Name: Wigan Athletic (13th) | Manager: Paul Cook (Win Rate: 41.8%)
Nickname: The Latics
Previous Result: Wigan Athletic 2-0 Charlton Athletic

Would like to invite all Charlton fans to the LMA Manager of the Year awards, they're about to name the winner and Jurgen Klopp of Liverpool prepares to stand and receive what is a deserved honour, blah blah blah!! - As is nealry always the way it is Premier League that will receive the focus of that award yet like Alan Curbishley, Steve Coppell, Eddie Howe and Chris Wilder there is one man that deserves absolute recognition this season then it is Paul Cook at Wigan Athletic!!

I dont need to go into detail, we all know the reasons... Wigan unfortunately are a club that can join Charlton and countless others in the Football League that have been shafted by the "owners" that run these historic clubs. Quite simply the Latics have gone from a team at Christmas that appeared destined to fight a relegation battle to the very end, to a club that now could have reached the Play-Offs had they started this impressive run of form just that little bit sooner... Of course that form runs hand in hand with the punishment dished out to clubs who drop into Administration, our opponents are a team not just desperate to claw back the twelve points they'll be deducted yet also desperate to survive, not just for themselves but for the seventy five people laid off at Wigan Athletic, the people in the background that get forgotten, ignored when scandalous actions like this are taken.

Putting my admiration to one side though and this is a game where its not just about Wigan's survival, we have our own issues so need the three points ourselves yet it will be difficult... Wigan even before Administration had turned into a team who'd kept seven clean sheets on the trot and know how to score too, their display on Tuesday night a testament of that. Yet is this where it could work in our favour...

Wigan have nothing to gain in sitting back like our last two opponents, they'll attack us and whilst they are the better team it wont be the one sided affair like the one at Griffin Park, we've proven in recent games that we can create chances, we just need to take them!!

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday would see fan unrest when the starting eleven against Reading would show key players on the bench - Naturally it meant they'd start against Birmingham but due to the rotational approach from Management they would each be withdrawn before the end of the game... You'd hope that it means we'll go into Wigan utilising those players from the off, rather than saving them until the point when there is no point in using them

Bowyer certainly gave away one clue in his post match interview last night when he admitted that Darren Pratley had picked up a slight injury prior to the equalising goal, does that mean we'll see Sam Field given a rare successive start? - Elsewhere and we saw Alfie Doughty too receiving treatment for an ankle issue which hopefully wont rule him out of this key fixture, it surely wont be Lewis Page starting in his place who is finally fit and ready, it would be a true fitting end to the season should he come and play a part that saves our statuts!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
McGeady | Cullen | Field | Williams
Aneke | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Purrington | Page | Oshilaja | Lapslie | Forster-Caskey | Hemed | Morgan | Davison

Prediction
Well we all know the latest Wigan score and I'm happy enough to put my hand on my heart and say that it wont happen against us... Yes they'll travel down full of confidence whilst we'll be realing from the last minute equaliser against Birmingham, yet football is a funny old game and has a habit of showing a lack of interest in what clubs have achieved previously - I've honestly given up trying to predict what'll happen in this barmy relegation battle!!

Comments

• Options
    Wigan will score and we might score 1, so a draw at best however I can see Wigan getting more than 1 goal.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm scared  :'(

It would be the most charlton thing to do, lose to Brum then beat the team who have been flying. Here's hoping... 

PS- Thanks FA for all your previews throughout the season, its a tough task and you do it superb , also your sidekick does a good job too well done you 2. @ForeverAddickted
    @Sage

• Options

We start brightly and compete bravely.
    Bonne scores a goal to go one up against the run of play.
    Substitute five players for the last 25 minutes and play in our own half.
    Concede a penalty.
    Lose 1-2 after 9 minutes of stoppage time.
    Referee & Bonne blamed for defeat.

• Options
    Pratley's confirmed out for the last two games with a hamstring injury 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/major-injury-setback-as-key-charlton-man-set-to-miss-rest-of-the-season/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    0 -8 and the reds are down
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/major-injury-setback-as-key-charlton-man-set-to-miss-rest-of-the-season/
    So Williams and Doughty werent tactical choices then

Thats awkward judging by the comments about Bowyer taking them off!! 
    Ironically my criticism isn't of those subs, but instead Field and McGeady going off. Field would have managed Bellingham better than Pratley, even when tired IMO. Aneke was dealing with corners, so we didn't need Sarr too. 

If anything the last sub I'd have made could have been Bonne off for Davison.
  • Options
    Lose this one and beat Leeds. No need to panic.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    1-0 Bonne again.

FA's team will be mostly spot on. Thanks to both @ForeverAddickted and @Sage for your previews this season.

Phillips 
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Doughty*
    Bonne | Aneke
    * Page if Doughty Injured. 

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Purrington | Page ** | Sarr | Lapslie | Forster-Caskey | Hemed | Morgan | Davison
    ** Oztumer if Doughty injured.

Yep I'd risk Page if he's match fit. He was more attacking and better defending than I think Purrington is, however Purrington could be good to come on later with his late runs to back post. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:

So Williams and Doughty werent tactical choices then

Thats awkward judging by the comments about Bowyer taking them off!! 
    Thanks for all you're hard work on the match previews this season mate, much appreciated.

ps I hope all the major supermarkets have got plenty of humble pie in stock 😲
  • Options
    Thank you to FA and Sage for all of their brilliant previews. I wonder if LB will go back to 3-5-2, but I am not going to come up with a team as I have been wrong every other time and hopefully, someone else will start the matchday thread as I am not very lucky
  • Options
    Good preview as always FA, team agreed but would have Doughty on the left if fit, shit or bust , 1-0 to us Field with the late goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-0 Bonne again.

FA's team will be mostly spot on. Thanks to both @ForeverAddickted and @Sage for your previews this season.

Phillips 
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Doughty*
    Bonne | Aneke
    * Page if Doughty Injured. 

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Purrington | Page ** | Sarr | Lapslie | Forster-Caskey | Hemed | Morgan | Davison
    ** Oztumer if Doughty injured.

Yep I'd risk Page if he's match fit. He was more attacking and better defending than I think Purrington is, however Purrington could be good to come on later with his late runs to back post. 
    At least if we start Page we can put Purrington on in the 5th minute when he has come off injured, such a shame i like Page but he has rotten luck. Would fit perfect for the wingback position. 
  • Options
    We won't get stuffed like Hull did.

Charlton 0 Wigan 2

Meanwhile Luton 3 Hull 0

Hope I'm wrong of course. If we can sneak a draw then it will be either us or Huddersfield for the drop, assuming they lose to WBA on Friday.
  • Options
    We need to let Wigan have more possession than we allowed Millwall Reading and Birmingham to have, with the current squad we have we just cannot play possession football. Does Williams coming off with cramp rule him out of any sort of meaningful appearance on Saturday, because bringing him off the bench when chasing a game this season just hasn't worked?
  • Options
    Think that they will be smarting from not getting a "Palarse" the other night and will take it out on us...

0-10 and a new footballing term a "Charlton" will enter footballing vernacular!
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/aston-villa-loanee-could-make-charlton-athletic-return/

Andre Green could be back for the the Wigan game - as a player without a club in the current circumstances he really needs to step it up and put himself at the front of the shop window. 
  • Options
    Trying to be positive about this one - but have no faith in the team at the moment. Think we will get beaten 0-2. 
  • Options
    anyone reading some of the comments on the forum without knowing who we were playing Saturday might be forgiven for thinking we had Barcelona.

it's Wigan for christ sake - yes they had a good result in the week and are on a half decent run - but they ain't that good*

*I know neither are we before anyone points it out