Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Charlton RIP

Comments

• Options
    Great character. Being of Irish stock followed Ireland at World Cup 94 when he was manager. Will always remember the 1-0 win against Italy in Giants stadium. Great day out.RIP
  • Options
    RIP Jack, Thanks for the memories. 
  • Options
    Legend. RIP, Jack
  • Options
    RIP

Not sure if its still there, but there used to be a statue of Jack Charlton fishing next to a small ornamental pond in the arrivals area at Cork Airport. 
  • Options
    RIP Jack

A terrible few months for Leeds off the pitch, losing 3 genuine club legends Hunter, Cherry and now Charlton
  • Options
    I have always believed that J C was the last and one of the most important jigsaw pieces in the making of Ramsey's World Cup winning team .. he was a totally determined granite hard defender who allowed Moore some discretion at the back .. J C held the defence together and terrified all but the bravest attackers, I'll go so far as to say that without him we would not have won the cup. 
    I remember him at the Valley (mid 1960s) in Leeds's promotion year a hard man in a very hard team: Hunter, Bremner, Giles, Reaney, Collins, Cooper; J C was the hardest of them all but in an understated way .. I recall him grabbing goalkeeper Sprake by the collar after one mistake .. Leeds beat a very good Addicks team that day in a season where we finished just short of promotion (no play offs in those days) .. memories memories lol 

J C has suffered from dementia for a while but I could never imagine him  dying, he seemed so indestructible .. I know it comes to us all, but this is a sad day

R I P  (now posted on 2 tributes )
    A classic example of the importance of the team, rather than just picking the best individuals

Jack wasn't the 2nd best CB in England after Moore, but the perfect contrasting player to partner him
  • Options
    Takes a special Englishman to become an Honorary Irishman. RIP Big Jack. 
  • Options
    RIP Jack, my dear old nan, from Ashington, reckoned we were related to his uncle - 'Wor' Jackie Milburn - legends
  • Options
    Takes a special Englishman to raise the Irish to a competitive level. RIP Big Jack. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only George Cohen, Nobby Stiles, Roger Hunt, Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst left now of that historic 1966 World Cup winning England XI.

Once again RIP Jack
  • Options
    Good to see the Daily Mirror bang down to standard today.
    Posthumous knighthood.
    Yep front page in all seriousness.
    Without for one second denigrating the great man nor trivialising his achievements: rewriting the centuries old foundation of an honour bestowed (in theory) by monarchs is just so silly but bang average for this tawdry flimsy comic.
    Whoever it is robbing a living as editor at the Mirror needs to pack it in, hand back their salary for the last coupla years and do something less humiliating with their time.  FFS.
    Never an establishment figure or one to brown nose people I'm sure as sure can be Jack couldn't care less what the Mirror or most anybody thought of him.  His honorary Irish citizenship will have been much closer to his heart.
  • Options
    RIP Big Jack - a great career as a player and manager and one of the game’s biggest characters.
  • Options
    Good to see the Daily Mirror bang down to standard today.
    Posthumous knighthood.
    Yep front page in all seriousness.
    Without for one second denigrating the great man nor trivialising his achievements: rewriting the centuries old foundation of an honour bestowed (in theory) by monarchs is just so silly but bang average for this tawdry flimsy comic.
    Whoever it is robbing a living as editor at the Mirror needs to pack it in, hand back their salary for the last coupla years and do something less humiliating with their time.  FFS.
    Never an establishment figure or one to brown nose people I'm sure as sure can be Jack couldn't care less what the Mirror or most anybody thought of him.  His honorary Irish citizenship will have been much closer to his heart.
    Shocked!  I would of thought that rag would want the Order of Lenin...
  • Options
    This is a great piece and Jack explains it better than I can. How he got under the skin of the Irish and we did the same with him. “I’m not an honorary, I’m an Irish citizen”.  Rest in Peace Jack ☘️

• Options
    On BBC2 tonight at 9 pm. Going to be 😀 & 😢
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On BBC2 tonight at 9 pm. Going to be 😀 & 😢
    Great documentary. I only watched as far as Schillaci but I'll watch the rest soon.
    Happy tears and sad tears the whole way.

What cruel irony that his memory left him after he created so many memories for so many people.
    RIP Jack.
  • Options
    It's terrible that Bobby has dementia too - it's a cruel world.
  • Options
    Brilliant brilliant programme though! Great tribute to the man! What a legend he was! Good old fashioned man management! 
  • Options

Directed by Gabriel Clarke. The most remarkable moments - the huge crowd in Dublin (on Jack's   incoming flight the pilot took the plane over the city centre so the great man could see for himself) and at the opposite end of the scale one individual, namely Paul McGrath.

• Options
    A fascinating programme

I hadn't realised how important Jack was to the whole nation. The success of the team really changed the way the Irish people thought about themselves, and banished the wider sense of insecurity they had
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Beautifully made documentary and very moving in places. Jack Charlton was a fascinating character who achieved so much. His decline into dementia was sad to see.
  • Options
    Thought it was a very heartfelt story but felt the narrative jumped about a bit. Looked to me like two directors in the edit and credits seem to back that up. Still a very good watch.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I just see the thread title and thought 'Oh shit, Jack charlton has died'🤦‍♂️
  • Options

Directed by Gabriel Clarke. The most remarkable moments - the huge crowd in Dublin (on Jack's   incoming flight the pilot took the plane over the city centre so the great man could see for himself) and at the opposite end of the scale one individual, namely Paul McGrath.

Great programme but very sad to see him like that.

Poor bloke couldn't remember that he was revered in Ireland but recognised a picture of McGrath.

My Nan had it and we visited her care home one Christmas Day. Didn't really know who me or my dad were but I gave her a card. She had 3 or 4 shelves full of cards and I just put it in the middle of one of them. Took her for a walk around the gardens and when we got back, she looked at the shelf and said "that card's new". Don't think she even realised it was Christmas.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it. The Charlton brothers are a strange entity, there was a third brother as well but he didn't make his name and fortune in football.