Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What does Bowyer dislike about Williams?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I thought we looked as good as we've been since the break and I put a lot of that down to Williams.
    He can keep hold of the ball and if the opposition touch him he goes down, wins the free kick, slows the game down and stops the opposition building momentum.

Williams can't usually manage more than 60 mins, but he did look full of running.
    Brentford were not kicking him and weren't about to.

As soon as Lapslie came on for Williams I suspected the game would turn rapidly and it did.

I presume Bowyer knows that if he keeps him on we risk losing him for the last 4 games, so felt he had no choice, but what a predictable outcome.
    You could understand it if Brentford were a physical, dirty side but that wasn't the case tonight. He'll get far more kicked in the next 3 matches
    Which is why he maybe worth his weight in gold.
  • Options
    Ex-Palace. Understandable really.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    His cheese string legs? The man is great when fit but a bit of an injury 

We should not have signed him with his injury record.
  • Options
    I think a lot of managers (not just in football) have a habit of seeing staff/players in their own image .

As a player LB didn't have many weaknesses..one of his strongest points was his commitment. 

I expect he sees JW do all the pretty stuff but knocks him back on tackling, ball retention and work off the ball maybe similar to albie Morgan in that way.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The way we play when we are seeing out results is to sit back. It means we are one pass away from losing the ball and it keeps coming back at us. We defend well, but when it is relentless it is harder to defend. What Williams does for us is getting fouled a lot. It gives us a chance to put the ball down and regroup and release a bit of pressure. It is massive. We really missed that when he went off but I am sure he came off because he was knackered.
  • Options
    He makes Zaha look steady on his feet 
  • Options
    I think that the answer to the question is that Williams is too lightweight and 'delicate' for the rigours of this League
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Real shame that we can't make more use of Williams because he is one of only a couple of players who are capable of opening up the opposition.

But if anyone wants to witness how much playing for us means just take a look at the penalty and his jump in the air when the Birmingham player misses the follow up - and how he is the one that races to Phillips to pat him on the back.  
  • Options
    LB didn’t like that baldilocks came back from lockdown so out of condition. Now he’s back playing he doesn’t like how meekly he sometimes surrenders possession. The feintest touch and he goes down, refs won’t always fall for it as we saw last night 
  • Options
    Should've stayed on for longer, would've drawn fouls and wasted some time. Even if it ruled him out of the next two games that wouldn't have mattered if we got the win. 
  • Options
    LB didn’t like that baldilocks came back from lockdown so out of condition. Now he’s back playing he doesn’t like how meekly he sometimes surrenders possession. The feintest touch and he goes down, refs won’t always fall for it as we saw last night 
    But he was hauled off before Millwall got their late winner, he was taken off before Brentford scored either of their goals and again was removed before Birmingham's goal yesterday. 

In fact, had a game only been of the duration that Williams was actually on the pitch, our record would be for those 27 games:

Won 10
    Drawn 10
    Lost 7

Williams' presence might just have meant that we weren't forever having to defend in the last 15 minutes of a game.
  • Options
    Agreed, not a fan of taking him off and the other 2 main threats fwiw (Doughty/Mcgready), Williams works hard and always draws fouls in which are crucial (just see the impact he had at Wembley). I can only assume he is worried he doesn't have the legs or injury with his past but we could have done with him staying on, didn't look knackered, Alfie did tbf. 

A separate point, i do think he would offer much more behind the strikers in a CAM role or even as a middle 3. Its a bit obvious our main threat was down the left side and that would allow Alfie to play further forward and not have to worry as much about defending. 
  • Options
    But he was hauled off before Millwall got their late winner, he was taken off before Brentford scored either of their goals and again was removed before Birmingham's goal yesterday. 

In fact, had a game only been of the duration that Williams was actually on the pitch, our record would be for those 27 games:

Won 10
    Drawn 10
    Lost 7

Williams' presence might just have meant that we weren't forever having to defend in the last 15 minutes of a game.
    Trouble is JW was blowing out his arse and a passenger inside 60 minutes wasn’t he?
  • Options

Major injury setback as key Charlton man set to miss rest of the season

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1039355238?-11197:833

The answer to why LB subbed players
  • Options
    All seems reasonable from LB. If Williams had cramp, then he was also an injury waiting to happen in that last 15 mins. 

There are a lot of question marks about next season. One of the more minor questions, is will we see Williams in our squad? I'd like to think so because he offers something different and has obvious qualities. Whether the club will want to commit wages to him rather than someone, probably less talented but more reliable fitness-wise, remains to be seen.