Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To All American Addicks

2»

Comments

• Options
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

They can bloody keep it, or give it to the French.
    It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit
    Totally agree, my road trip up pch1 was shit. The little towns along the way were all shit.  Vegas is shit, the Grand Canyon was shit, the road trip down through Arizona was shit, Florida is shit. 

There are also weird little caravan park towns which are weird and run down. But that’s like an American saying the whole of the uk is shit because they ended up in morrisons in thamsmead
    I'm American, so I believe I'm entitled to that opinion

There's plenty of awesome places here to see, but great tourist spots don't make for a good country. Politically and ethically, we are shit

I find no joy in celebrating the 4th of July anymore because it has become a celebration of who can be the most patriotic and boastful about how awesome the USA is, when in reality, we are the laughing stock of the world 
    There are still thousands of people in the world who would rather be in the US than where they are.
    The Grand Canyon is shit? Unbelievable comment. Been to Vegas a few times and it is what it is. To say it's 'shit' without quantifying is unhelpful to say the least.
    I totally agree. 
    I didn’t say it.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit
    Totally agree, my road trip up pch1 was shit. The little towns along the way were all shit.  Vegas is shit, the Grand Canyon was shit, the road trip down through Arizona was shit, Florida is shit. 

There are also weird little caravan park towns which are weird and run down. But that’s like an American saying the whole of the uk is shit because they ended up in morrisons in thamsmead

There's plenty of awesome places here to see, but great tourist spots don't make for a good country. Politically and ethically, we are shit

I find no joy in celebrating the 4th of July anymore because it has become a celebration of who can be the most patriotic and boastful about how awesome the USA is, when in reality, we are the laughing stock of the world 
    There are still thousands of people in the world who would rather be in the US than where they are.
    The Grand Canyon is shit? Unbelievable comment. Been to Vegas a few times and it is what it is. To say it's 'shit' without quantifying is unhelpful to say the least.
    I was being sarcastic
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I was being sarcastic
    I was thinking of going, but just read these on tripadvisor - glad I did my research before wasting the time and money.

Not much different from pictures. Besides, the views are about the same everywhere.
    As a hiker and nature lover, I have been to many national parks. I found Grand Canyon to be the least interesting. ...The only reason to go to GCNP is to be see one of the Seven Wonders in the world. But after gazing the canyon for 3 minutes from the rim, you have seen it all".

big hole
    drive about 3 long boring hours to get there look at a big hole underneath take a couple photos then watch the red indians dance for a minute eat some rank food get on the bus and back to reality
  • Options
    I stayed overnight in a town about 45 mins south of the gran canyon. It was January and hot for January (Hot in January for an Englishman). We went into a bar for food and to cool down, left 90 minutes later and there was a foot of snow on the floor. I think it will be the only time in my life I walk through snow in flip flops and shorts  
  • Options
    To be fair we Brits could be a bit bolshy. 

We may not have had it all our own way in the American war of Independence, (mainly because of the French), but by 1814 not only had Rear Admiral Cockburn consigned Napoleon to Elba, but he was also instrumental in having a battle hardened task force storm into Washington to burn all the civic buildings.  There was a slight delay with the White House though, as on arrival they found the sumptuous meal that had been laid out for the president and 40 guests (It was duck I believe).  Once the Brits had eaten, they burnt the White House down too.  Naturally.

Not sure if there was a solid reason for this other than we can, why not?

• Options
    addick19 said:
    cafcfan said:
    Happy 4th of July! - 

Of course in the interest of historical accuracy it was only the 13 founder East coast states who rebelled against their true Lord and King HM George III.

The bit in the middle they bought off the French and the rest they stole from the First Nations and Spanish.
    It is interesting that Americans skirt around some of the most important reasons for the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and instead come up with silly notions like the tax on tea and -ironic in the circumstances - lack of representation.  (Note to Alex Morgan the US female soccer player.)  Many seem completely oblivious to these issues.  Although there's a clue in the fact that 41 of the 56 signatories to the declaration owned slaves.

The case of Somerset v Stewart in England in 1772, if nothing else, put the writing firmly on the wall for slavery, certainly in Britain, and to the eventual abolition of the slave trade.  The colonists wanted to keep their slaves.  Furthermore in 1763 the British had also prohibited further movement West in the New World. 

They wanted peace with the Native Americans and further encroachment upon their lands was a no-no.  Which is why many of the tribes fought on the British side in the War of Independence as did many black slaves who were promised their freedom by the British.

Eventually, the Colonists offered a similar deal.  But upon winning promptly reneged on it and sent the black fighters back to their masters.  The Land Of the Free?  Oh, no.  Of course the Colonists then went on to occupy the Native America lands to the West and the rest, as they say, is history.

There an interesting discourse here https://www.vox.com/2015/7/2/8884885/american-revolution-mistake

There was also the 'small' matter of the thousands of Loyalists who fought for the King. The conflict was in all truth America's first Civil War. Not sure whether they had God on their side, but they certainly had all the luck going!
    Not just luck.  We were also at war with France and Spain at the time and most of our resources were diverted to more serious matters in Europe and other places.  We were basically just relying on the loyalists, ex-slaves and Native Americans.  If we could have used our full military resource, the rebel colonists would have been crushed.
  • Options
    Let's be honest here.

We really didn't want the place and any half hearted attempts to keep hold of it was only to piss the French off.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Let's be honest here.

We really didn't want the place and any half hearted attempts to keep hold of it was only to piss the French off.
    The best reason to do anything at all.  :)
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I feel like Vegas should be a great time but everyone goes in with unrealistic expectations 
    I’ve been to Vegas many times and never had a bad time there. The first time it exceeded my expectations, and subsequent visits met with expectations as I then knew what to expect!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick19 said:
    Had a fantastic road trip in the US, Rapid City, SD went to Mount Rushmore, a Missile Silo, (including into the firing room) Badlands, Ellsworth Air Force Base. Deadwood Sturges and Devils Tower in Wyoming. Always found the Yanks to be warm hospitable and polite. Been several time all over.
    Always fancied being in New England on the 4th of July!
    Totally agree. Been lots, and not just to Florida which is not the real America- always had a fantastic time.
    I’m intrigued. What is “real America”?  

America is a big place, and there are a lot of regional differences, but they are all real America. That’s what makes it so interesting. 
  • Options
    Going to America is like visiting your young nephew.

You can't help but admire his determination and optimism, but sometimes he just doesn't seem to have any common sense and is prone to do the most idiotic thing.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I was being sarcastic
    I was thinking of going, but just read these on tripadvisor - glad I did my research before wasting the time and money.

Not much different from pictures. Besides, the views are about the same everywhere.
    As a hiker and nature lover, I have been to many national parks. I found Grand Canyon to be the least interesting. ...The only reason to go to GCNP is to be see one of the Seven Wonders in the world. But after gazing the canyon for 3 minutes from the rim, you have seen it all".

big hole
    drive about 3 long boring hours to get there look at a big hole underneath take a couple photos then watch the red indians dance for a minute eat some rank food get on the bus and back to reality
    Been all over the world and the Grand Canyon is one of the most amazing natural wonders I have seen. I would not miss it and combine with a trip to Sedona which is a cool town. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I was being sarcastic

big hole
    Been all over the world and the Grand Canyon is one of the most amazing natural wonders I have seen. I would not miss it and combine with a trip to Sedona which is a cool town.  I was going to recommend Sedona but couldn’t remember it’s name
  • Options
    Love the US, admittedly some parts are bit weird (pro Trump, guns, religious fanatics etc) but people are generally lovely, moved there in my early 20's and people couldn't have been kinder or more helpful to me. America has the worst but also the best of everything. By the way, if you go to Vegas, go watch the NHL team Golden Knights absolutely crazy experience.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Had a fantastic road trip in the US, Rapid City, SD went to Mount Rushmore, a Missile Silo, (including into the firing room) Badlands, Ellsworth Air Force Base. Deadwood Sturges and Devils Tower in Wyoming. Always found the Yanks to be warm hospitable and polite. Been several time all over.
    Totally agree. Been lots, and not just to Florida which is not the real America- always had a fantastic time.

America is a big place, and there are a lot of regional differences, but they are all real America. That’s what makes it so interesting. 
    Absolutely agree; travelled to many places north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Charleston for instance is the most beautiful place; the Shenandoah Valley, fantastic; Memphis, amazing. I could go on but you get my drift. Most Americans we've encountered have been friendly and very hospitable. I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion but to describe America as a 'cess pit' is total nonsense.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I totally agree. 
    I didn’t say it.
    Apologies mate.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    addick19 said:
    addick19 said:

Absolutely agree; travelled to many places north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Charleston for instance is the most beautiful place; the Shenandoah Valley, fantastic; Memphis, amazing. I could go on but you get my drift. Most Americans we've encountered have been friendly and very hospitable. I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion but to describe America as a 'cess pit' is total nonsense.
    addick19 said:
    addick19 said:

Did you intentionally mention all these musical lines in your post?
  • Options
    To be fair we Brits could be a bit bolshy. 

We may not have had it all our own way in the American war of Independence, (mainly because of the French), but by 1814 not only had Rear Admiral Cockburn consigned Napoleon to Elba, but he was also instrumental in having a battle hardened task force storm into Washington to burn all the civic buildings.  There was a slight delay with the White House though, as on arrival they found the sumptuous meal that had been laid out for the president and 40 guests (It was duck I believe).  Once the Brits had eaten, they burnt the White House down too.  Naturally.

Not sure if there was a solid reason for this other than we can, why not?

Snippet FYI, it was Royal Marines that set light to the white house.
  • Options
    Happy 4th of July! - 

I'm not royalist but just think, our US friends, if you'd been a bit more forward thinking in 1776, you could have had HRH Liz and Phil the Greek instead of Trump.