Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

To All American Addicks

Happy 4th of July! - 

Comments

• totally totally agree ((:>)
  • The place is cess pit.

They can bloody keep it, or give it to the French.
  • Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's called a "fosse septic" here mate
  • Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
  • Happy 4th of July! - 

Of course in the interest of historical accuracy it was only the 13 founder East coast states who rebelled against their true Lord and King HM George III.

The bit in the middle they bought off the French and the rest they stole from the First Nations and Spanish.
    It is interesting that Americans skirt around some of the most important reasons for the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and instead come up with silly notions like the tax on tea and -ironic in the circumstances - lack of representation.  (Note to Alex Morgan the US female soccer player.)  Many seem completely oblivious to these issues.  Although there's a clue in the fact that 41 of the 56 signatories to the declaration owned slaves.

The case of Somerset v Stewart in England in 1772, if nothing else, put the writing firmly on the wall for slavery, certainly in Britain, and to the eventual abolition of the slave trade.  The colonists wanted to keep their slaves.  Furthermore in 1763 the British had also prohibited further movement West in the New World. 

They wanted peace with the Native Americans and further encroachment upon their lands was a no-no.  Which is why many of the tribes fought on the British side in the War of Independence as did many black slaves who were promised their freedom by the British.

Eventually, the Colonists offered a similar deal.  But upon winning promptly reneged on it and sent the black fighters back to their masters.  The Land Of the Free?  Oh, no.  Of course the Colonists then went on to occupy the Native America lands to the West and the rest, as they say, is history.

There an interesting discourse here https://www.vox.com/2015/7/2/8884885/american-revolution-mistake

• Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

I would much rather be in Thamesmead !
  • Ladyromford bought me a T-shirt with this on for today. 

😎
    "LOVE THIS"
  • Might not wear it around D.C.
  • Sponsored links:

• limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit
  • limeygent said:
    Might not wear it around D.C.
    Haha! That’s what I said! I’ll wear it around my American friends and they’ll take it in good spirit, but there’s a distinct lack of a sense of humour about the general public right now!
  • Happy thanksgiving to all fellow Brits
  • edited July 2020
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit
    Totally agree, my road trip up pch1 was shit. The little towns along the way were all shit.  Vegas is shit, the Grand Canyon was shit, the road trip down through Arizona was shit, Florida is shit. 

There are also weird little caravan park towns which are weird and run down. But that’s like an American saying the whole of the uk is shit because they ended up in morrisons in thamsmead
  • The declaration of independence was actually signed on the 2nd July. It took Congress 2 days to ratify it. Still, fair play to the revolutionists, Britain did have ‘Mad’ king george at the time who said ‘if you don’t test for Covid-1776, nobody will get it and it will go away...’
  • A great 4th July story that comes to
    mind occurred in 1976, the 200th anniversary. This is from memory so feel free to correct any facts. As I recall, there was a huge celebration in New York with the focus on the statue of Liberty and a lot of activity on the Hudson and the skies above it including fly-bys etc from the US forces and those from around the world but what must have been a pure piece of magical theatre, probably even for now but definitely for the time was performed by the Royal Navy when a couple of Harrier Jump Jets (those unique 1960s technology British planes) flew down the Hudson, made their way to the Statue of Liberty and STOPPED, dipped their noses in salute and flew on. No wonder the US took notice and bought some.
  • Happy 4th of July! - 

Of course in the interest of historical accuracy it was only the 13 founder East coast states who rebelled against their true Lord and King HM George III.

The bit in the middle they bought off the French and the rest they stole from the First Nations and Spanish.

Not forgetting the thousands of loyalists who fought for the Crown. In reality it was America's first Civil War. Visited the lovely city of Philadelphia in October, statues of traitors everywhere!
  • Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

Nonsense. You've been watching too much MSM TV. Have you been to the States? What have you experienced first-hand that caused you to make this comment? Just asking. 

• Another ‘British technology decades ahead of its time’ 4th of July story comes to
    mind when I see clips of the 1990 World Cup and the game against Italy when we were in a Florida and invited by friends and their family out to a barbecue. This was a time that if you wanted to watch football on US tv it either had Spanish commentary or adverts throughout the game. Still that was better than nothing and the game plan was I’d watch the tv in the house to catch the game. Except they didn’t show that one that day. Pre-internet, I thought that if the UK had enjoyed Teletext and Ceefax since the 70s then the US must surely have it as well and I could at least follow the score. Like fck did they and I had to wait until the next day to find out the score. Asking my hosts if they had what was basically a forerunner of the internet (&email) just got blank stares in response.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit
    Totally agree, my road trip up pch1 was shit. The little towns along the way were all shit.  Vegas is shit, the Grand Canyon was shit, the road trip down through Arizona was shit, Florida is shit. 

There are also weird little caravan park towns which are weird and run down. But that’s like an American saying the whole of the uk is shit because they ended up in morrisons in thamsmead
    I'm American, so I believe I'm entitled to that opinion

There's plenty of awesome places here to see, but great tourist spots don't make for a good country. Politically and ethically, we are shit

I find no joy in celebrating the 4th of July anymore because it has become a celebration of who can be the most patriotic and boastful about how awesome the USA is, when in reality, we are the laughing stock of the world 
    There are still thousands of people in the world who would rather be in the US than where they are.
    I don't doubt that for a second, and I'll always welcome immigrants with open arms just as my ancestors were welcomed hundreds of years ago. The fanfare of the American dream and the sense of Freedom wears off for some of us though 
  • Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

There's plenty of awesome places here to see, but great tourist spots don't make for a good country. Politically and ethically, we are shit

I find no joy in celebrating the 4th of July anymore because it has become a celebration of who can be the most patriotic and boastful about how awesome the USA is, when in reality, we are the laughing stock of the world 
    There are still thousands of people in the world who would rather be in the US than where they are.
    I don't doubt that for a second, and I'll always welcome immigrants with open arms just as my ancestors were welcomed hundreds of years ago. 
    Are you sure about that? ;)
  • Had a fantastic road trip in the US, Rapid City, SD went to Mount Rushmore, a Missile Silo, (including into the firing room) Badlands, Ellsworth Air Force Base. Deadwood Sturges and Devils Tower in Wyoming. Always found the Yanks to be warm hospitable and polite. Been several time all over.
    Always fancied being in New England on the 4th of July!
  • Had a fantastic road trip in the US, Rapid City, SD went to Mount Rushmore, a Missile Silo, (including into the firing room) Badlands, Ellsworth Air Force Base. Deadwood Sturges and Devils Tower in Wyoming. Always found the Yanks to be warm hospitable and polite. Been several time all over.
    Always fancied being in New England on the 4th of July!
    Totally agree. Been lots, and not just to Florida which is not the real America- always had a fantastic time.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

I don't doubt that for a second, and I'll always welcome immigrants with open arms just as my ancestors were welcomed hundreds of years ago. 
    Are you sure about that? ;)
    By the time my ancestors arrived, I believe the colonies had already taken shape. The massacre of Native Americans and the pillaging of their land is something that has never sat right with me. Just like the Germans acknowledge that the Nazi regime happended and are doing all they can to create a welcoming country, Americans need to acknowledge that the acquisition of America wasn't morally acceptable. By the time my ancestors got here, Native American settlements in the east had sadly been almost entirely wiped away, but I still feel massive guilt 
  • Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

The Grand Canyon is shit? Unbelievable comment. Been to Vegas a few times and it is what it is. To say it's 'shit' without quantifying is unhelpful to say the least.
  • cafcfan said:
    Happy 4th of July! - 

It is interesting that Americans skirt around some of the most important reasons for the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and instead come up with silly notions like the tax on tea and -ironic in the circumstances - lack of representation.  (Note to Alex Morgan the US female soccer player.)  Many seem completely oblivious to these issues.  Although there's a clue in the fact that 41 of the 56 signatories to the declaration owned slaves.

The case of Somerset v Stewart in England in 1772, if nothing else, put the writing firmly on the wall for slavery, certainly in Britain, and to the eventual abolition of the slave trade.  The colonists wanted to keep their slaves.  Furthermore in 1763 the British had also prohibited further movement West in the New World. 

They wanted peace with the Native Americans and further encroachment upon their lands was a no-no.  Which is why many of the tribes fought on the British side in the War of Independence as did many black slaves who were promised their freedom by the British.

Eventually, the Colonists offered a similar deal.  But upon winning promptly reneged on it and sent the black fighters back to their masters.  The Land Of the Free?  Oh, no.  Of course the Colonists then went on to occupy the Native America lands to the West and the rest, as they say, is history.

There an interesting discourse here https://www.vox.com/2015/7/2/8884885/american-revolution-mistake

There was also the 'small' matter of the thousands of Loyalists who fought for the King. The conflict was in all truth America's first Civil War. Not sure whether they had God on their side, but they certainly had all the luck going!
  • addick19 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    The place is cess pit.

It's not all a cess pit.
    Its pretty shit

The Grand Canyon is shit? Unbelievable comment. Been to Vegas a few times and it is what it is. To say it's 'shit' without quantifying is unhelpful to say the least.
    I feel like Vegas should be a great time but everyone goes in with unrealistic expectations