Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul | 8:15pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Millwall
Friday 3rd July 2020 ... 8:15pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire) (prev games: Preston (A))

Introduction
Well so far its been a restart that no Charlton fan could have even dreamt for... Seven points have seen the Addicks pulling away towards safety and are currently showing signs of a team that have shaken off any of the faults that we saw just before lockdown. Tuesday night would see Lee Bowyer's men returning from South Wales with yet another clean sheet after more than matching up with Play-Off chasing: Cardiff City, this Friday night will no doubt require a similar performance, this time the SKY cameras are in tow...

Oh and its the South London Derby!!

The Opposition
Name: Millwall (11th) | Manager: Gary Rowett (37.9% win rate)
Previous Result: Millwall 1-1 Swansea City

Well we've arrived at the least eagerly anticipated game of this mini-season... The South London Derby is a date in the calendar that is certainly celebrated by our irritating neighbours more so than ourselves, its a game that has recently seen the Addicks suffering from a loss of performance regardless if the game is at the Valley or at the Den. This time though may well be different, Millwall, with no fans to drive them on have been suffering with their results since the restart, that irritating Millwall roar will be no more this Friday night, its a chance for Charlton to seriously take advantage of that fact!!

Yet our opponents (regardless of our history together) are still a dangerous proposition, the decision to replace Neil Harris with Gary Rowett appears to have been an inspired choice from the owners. As a result the Lions have gone from fellow relegation battlers to a team that sadly looked most likely to steal the sixth and final Play-Off spot, thankfully just two points from games against Barnsley, Derby and Swansea appear to have ended that season extending dream, yet as is the way the Championship, and as we've seen with this bonkers relegation battle...

If you want to see consistency at this level, you're watching the wrong league!!

Charlton Team News
With three games in six days and with our South London Derby coming just two days after our trip to South Wales, its no surprise that Lee Bowyer would make seven changes for Tuesdays clash - He would reveal after the game that both Adam Matthews and Tamer Hemed were enforced and were ultimately left at home after picking up slight knocks.

It meant a change of formation and a first start for Chuks Aneke who certainly impressed in what was his first start in a Charlton shirt; Chuks with his strength and impressive first touch will no doubt be pushing for a second start tomorrow evening, yet with injuries problems this season and a lack of game time, may well have to settle for another cameo appearance... Its certainly nice to see what appears to be another inspired signing from Steve Gallen after early questions were raised by the majority of fans!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Oshilaja
Morgan | Cullen | Pratley | McGeady
Hemed | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Purrington | Lapslie | Sarr | Williams | Bonne | Green | Davison | Doughty

Prediction
Right lets get this out of the way, for anyone predicting a Charlton win I suggest you go for a strong lie down

In all serious who knows how this one is going to play out; Bowyer made the inspired decision to have fan noise at the Valley last week which appeared to help his players against Queens Park Rangers; Millwall wont have their own fans there but local lads like: Ben Thompson will know what will be at stake and should be up for the encounter regardless of who is there or not... With our relegation rivals refusing to go away, its another game that we seriously cant afford to lose, especially with another tough London encounter to come next Tuesday night!!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Reading from behind the sofa:   I have not got a scooby this year, the world is all upside down and inside out!

If you are asking me if i will be at all surprised if we fold like a pack of cards OR the spawny twats got one of ours sent off in the 3rd minute and scored the only goal off of Phillip's left arse cheek and the crossbar in the 101st minute... I would say nah!

• Options
    cafc-west said:
    Less nervous about this one now.  The side doesn't look like they know how to lose and are really pulling together as a team.  Not saying we're gonna win - but not sure we'll lose either - think another 0-0 is on the cards - unless we can nick a goal from a set-piece (not much confidence in the strike force).
    They might not know how to lose but they haven't got a clue how to score either (the forwards anyway). I would take a point; after all we are talking about playing Millwall!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think Mason Bennett will be missing for them which is good for us, talking to my Millwall mate he seems to rate him.

1-0 Millwall, big Matt Smith 89th min header to break our hearts again.

• Options
    We can play a bit as well. We're also not lacking a bit of pace, other than at centre back. All depends on which team turns up. If we play like we did against Swansea then it'll be tough for you. However, if we play like we did against Barnsley or Derby then you'll probably nick it.
  • Options
    Millwall haven’t beaten a bottom half team away all season
  • Options
    Great preview FA and after a very quick lie down 1-0 Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hemed and Aneke up top a must , Bonne and Green not good enough for this level imo 
  • Options
    I do like having a quick look on their forum when they play us, just to check they still don't give a shit about us.

'timetable nonces'

'signal box wankers'

'sex cases'

'hope they bust'

'valium wrong un c*nts' - This is a new one on me.

haha love it.
    It's like being locked in the Smithsonian...
  • Options
    Hemed and Aneke up top a must , Bonne and Green not good enough for this level imo 
    Also put the big strong players in, Millwalls centre backs were pretty rough as I remember it. 
  • Options
    I do like having a quick look on their forum when they play us, just to check they still don't give a shit about us.

'timetable nonces'

'signal box wankers'

'sex cases'

'hope they bust'

'valium wrong un c*nts' - This is a new one on me.

haha love it.
    Signal box wankers !!! Oh I do love a good signal box

Our appalling record in this fixture cannot go on indefinitely - with Charlton restarting the season as a much more gritty and determined side, who are difficult to break down (let’s not forget 3 clean sheets in last 3 games - we would not have expected that had the season carried on as normal in March), I am quietly confident

I’m going for a 2 nil Addicks win - Hemed to finally come good and break his Charlton duck, and Chuks to get the other goal
  • Options
    4-3 to the Addicks with the decisive goal scored in the 89th minute after Bowyer gets the crowd noise from the Covered End speakers behind the Millwall goalkeeper turned up to full volume 
  • Options
    1-1 tight game and we concede a late equalizer, both goals from set pieces
  • Options
    As long as Taylor and Solly play we’ll be fine....