Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Chatter about Lenagan who ownd Wigan Warriors  swooping to buy the stadium ( wasnt he linked with Charlie Boy at one stage  ) 
  • TelMc32 said:
    If their players haven't been paid, they can put in notice and leave can't they?  Remember it happening with a different club I think but can't remember.

Wouldn't blame them if they can get another club and an actual wage.  As WelshAddick says, they could struggle to put a team together for next season.
    Not sure whether the owner has been cute here. He seems to have paid the players under contract. Those, like Caulker, who are now out of contract haven’t been paid.  I think the EFL will hammer them this time & they’ll start next season on -12/15 points…if they start at all. 
    But aren’t all players under contract until the end of June ? 
  • Chatter about Lenagan who ownd Wigan Warriors  swooping to buy the stadium ( wasnt he linked with Charlie Boy at one stage  ) 
    His son Simon certainly is.
  • TelMc32 said:
    If their players haven't been paid, they can put in notice and leave can't they?  Remember it happening with a different club I think but can't remember.

Wouldn't blame them if they can get another club and an actual wage.  As WelshAddick says, they could struggle to put a team together for next season.
    Not sure whether the owner has been cute here. He seems to have paid the players under contract. Those, like Caulker, who are now out of contract haven’t been paid.  I think the EFL will hammer them this time & they’ll start next season on -12/15 points…if they start at all. 
    But aren’t all players under contract until the end of June ? 
    Out of contract, as in they will be on the 1st of July, so the owners don't care.
  • Wigan Athletic have confirmed that all remaining players and staff have been paid their wages for this month.

The club also confirmed that the owners have put in a "substantial" seven-figure sum to secure the Latics' immediate future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65610193

• Ownership group buys a football club. Spends a fair amount. Realizes its a money pit. Loses interest. Stops wanting to fund it. Sell / bankruptcy / admin.

It's going to be a familiar pattern for us and other teams I think.
  • clive said:

Wigan Athletic have confirmed that all remaining players and staff have been paid their wages for this month.

The club also confirmed that the owners have put in a "substantial" seven-figure sum to secure the Latics' immediate future.

All well and good for now, but i don't see how they'll fund next season with reduced income and lower crowds.

Wage bill will of course decrease but they still need to pay May, June and July's bills before next season even starts.
  • clive said:

Wigan Athletic have confirmed that all remaining players and staff have been paid their wages for this month.

All well and good for now, but i don't see how they'll fund next season with reduced income and lower crowds.

Wage bill will of course decrease but they still need to pay May, June and July's bills before next season even starts.
    According to the ever reliable Alan Nixon, they've put around 3m in the bank which covers expenses until the new season.
  • EFL Statement: Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic will be deducted four points from the 2023/24 Sky Bet League One table after failing to pay its players’ wages on time in May 2023 and further to previous breaches of EFL Regulations.

The sanction will be applied at the start of the new league campaign with the Club also receiving an additional four-point deduction for season 2023/24, which is to be suspended until 30 June 2024.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-statement-wigan-athletic/

• Sponsored links:

• Wigan are starting next season on -4 points

Will still be above us before the summer transfer window shuts 😄
  • out of interest.. if this was a non-sporting company like say Tesco or Asda that failed to pay their employees on time on multiple occasions - would there be any government sanctions against that company? I know we joke about the "overpaid footballer" thing - but what would the repercussions be in the "real world"?
  • Swisdom said:
    They bought promotion last year and have proven, once again, they can't afford it.  How many more time does this have to happen?

That town cannot sustain a larger than average football club with all the other clubs around it and with the rugby fans too.  They are in serious trouble
    As opposed to us who can easily afford to finish 10th in League One and have a queue of people willing to take over and coin it in with all our football fans and catchment area .
  • clive said:

EFL Statement: Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic will be deducted four points from the 2023/24 Sky Bet League One table after failing to pay its players’ wages on time in May 2023 and further to previous breaches of EFL Regulations.

The sanction will be applied at the start of the new league campaign with the Club also receiving an additional four-point deduction for season 2023/24, which is to be suspended until 30 June 2024.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-statement-wigan-athletic/

So a definite -4 and if their owner doesn't put money into an account by Wednesday then it'll be -8.

Will also be -8 if he pays the May or June wages late.
  • out of interest.. if this was a non-sporting company like say Tesco or Asda that failed to pay their employees on time on multiple occasions - would there be any government sanctions against that company? I know we joke about the "overpaid footballer" thing - but what would the repercussions be in the "real world"?
    If Tesco collapses the government would have to step in, meet the payroll and pay the bills because the economy would collapse with it.

But no the government wouldn't sanction a business failure there could be potential criminal and civil charges to answer. 
  • Think I think Wigan could go close to relegation if things unravel anymore for them. 
  • EFL wankers penalise Wigan a further 3 points after they were relegated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    EFL have just confirmed a further 4 point deduction after owner failed to deposit the 125% funds required. Will start on -8…for now.

https://twitter.com/efl_comms/status/1662058537999036416?s=46&t=iIn3ttZdyuW0i2mQ6x00-g

• TelMc32 said:
    EFL have just confirmed a further 4 point deduction after owner failed to deposit the 125% funds required. Will start on -8…for now.

https://twitter.com/efl_comms/status/1662058537999036416?s=46&t=iIn3ttZdyuW0i2mQ6x00-g

So now we're guaranteed to be ahead of them after two rounds of matches. Good, good...
    God I hope you didnt just jinx the crap out of us all. If this turns out to age badly....
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It doesn't seem complicated to me. Sounds like they basically just spent way beyond their means.
    I really can't get my head round this.  

Why bother?  They bought thr club out of administration, with basically no players, for several million quid, spent 8 figures getting them promoted, then stopped paying the bills.  Now they are in a position worse than when they originally bought them and must be nearly 20 million down.

Why would you?  I just don't get it.  
    You're forgetting the stake they'll retain when they sell the club. That ship will come in one day. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    It doesn't seem complicated to me. Sounds like they basically just spent way beyond their means.

Why bother?  They bought thr club out of administration, with basically no players, for several million quid, spent 8 figures getting them promoted, then stopped paying the bills.  Now they are in a position worse than when they originally bought them and must be nearly 20 million down.

You're forgetting the stake they'll retain when they sell the club. That ship will come in one day. 

No see I get how, even though I think they are wrong, people like Sandgaard think they are clever and can just do it better an game the transfer market then when they are wrong reduce the funding and try and sell.  But that's not Wigan have done.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Maybe they just ran out of money. Or decided that running a 3rd tier club was like burning paper & said enough was enough. 
  • Don’t forget the hundred to one shot of getting to the prem and cashing in and making ten times your money 
    well worth the gamble 🙄
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Maybe they just ran out of money. Or decided that running a 3rd tier club was like burning paper & said enough was enough. 

Probably got a bit spooked by the money needed to be competitive in the Championship and have just decided it's not worth it. 
  • Don’t forget the hundred to one shot of getting to the prem and cashing in and making ten times your money 
    well worth the gamble 🙄
    Now is the time is sell Luton.