Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League table talk

Comments

• Options
    Shine166, let's be grateful you are not a member of the management team. Otherwise we might as well pack our bags and go home. They will be fired up for this one, believe you me. It's the equivalent to last season's play-off final. Winner takes all!
    Last night was our "Wembley" cup final, but the first half was awful. They certainly didn't come out like a team fired up to go for it
  • Options
    Shine166, let's be grateful you are not a member of the management team. Otherwise we might as well pack our bags and go home. They will be fired up for this one, believe you me. It's the equivalent to last season's play-off final. Winner takes all!
    Last night was our "Wembley" cup final, but the first half was awful. They certainly didn't come out like a team fired up to go for it
    Last night reminded me more of the Doncaster second leg game in the semi final. We went there thinking we'd turn them over and on the night they done a number on us. 

Can we make it to the next round? Wigan are our penalty shoot out. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Last night reminded me more of the Doncaster second leg game in the semi final. We went there thinking we'd turn them over and on the night they done a number on us. 

Can we make it to the next round? Wigan are our penalty shoot out. 
    Lets hope Nicky Bailey is nowhere to be seen!
  • Options
    We need Leeds and wba to win this week.We need to draw on Saturday. Then we need Hull to beat Luton. Barnsley and Luton then eliminated. If Wigan fail to win or one of Huddersfield or Hull lose then we will be safe.
    We just need to beat Wigan to be safe.
    And we don't really want wins for anyone below us. Draws if playing each other thanks. 
  • Options
    Shine 166 & Danny Addick....you clearly haven't seen as much football as me. I've lost count of the number of times the team has been written off by life's misanthropes (the "my glass is half empty brigade") only to confound the critics. We will be safe by Saturday night, mark my word. O ye of little faith.
    I hope you’re right 
  • Options
    I don’t think the result of Wigan’s appeal has been reported yet. God knows why, but never underestimate the ability of Lawyers to make a plain and simple rule complicated.
  • Options
    Me too ! Although, our management don't really fill players with confidence either. Today bowyer was saying if Taylor was here we'd be safe and he'd score the chances our strikers were missing... great man management that. 

I hope you're right, but personally I just don't see it. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    shine166 said:
    Me too ! Although, our management don't really fill players with confidence either. Today bowyer was saying if Taylor was here we'd be safe and he'd score the chances our strikers were missing... great man management that. 

Going by this tweet it sounds more like Bowyer got asked about Lyle rather than bringing him up himself...

• Options
    Wigan beat us to ensure safety (unless Barnsley win at leeds). They will go at us like they did Hull. And William hill are offering 22/1 for Wigan to win by 2 clear goals. I have combined that with a couple of other landslide victories and expect to be unhappy but rich by Saturday evening.
    Wigan to win by 4 clear goals (Wigan -3) is only 18/1...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

Going by this tweet it sounds more like Bowyer got asked about Lyle rather than bringing him up himself...

I didn't say who brought it up, just that it was said. Best bet would have been leaving it at the I dont want to talk about it reply.. rather than elaborating. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Apart from anything else, I'm not even sure that would have been true last night. Bonne scored one of his two chances, there's no certainty that Taylor would have done better

It's Taylor's all round play that we miss more. His ability to hold the ball up, stretch defences and make a nuisance of himself. To force errors out of opposition players
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wigan beat us to ensure safety (unless Barnsley win at leeds). They will go at us like they did Hull. And William hill are offering 22/1 for Wigan to win by 2 clear goals. I have combined that with a couple of other landslide victories and expect to be unhappy but rich by Saturday evening.
    See that now. And -2 is just 17/2, but last night i got 22/1 for -2. They have clearly wisened up (or had made an error)!
  • Options
    If we can nick an early goal, a penalty maybe, or just a stoke of luck for once, the whole dynmanic of the game changes. 
    Wigan may get nervy, they may be off their game. They come to us having to attack, which hasn't been the case with other teams recently.
    With Doughty and Williams playing, we looked decent on the counter attack yesterday. Wigan may leave gaps that we can exploit.
    Their performance against Hull has everyone terrified, but it may have been an anomaly and we should approach it as such.
    On the subject of Bonne's miss, having thought about it, he didn't do much wrong, if he'd hit it harder, it's likely the keeper would still have blocked it, in fact a soft shot may have been better and might have crept in under the keeper. Lee Camps positioning was top class.
  • Options
    If we can nick an early goal, a penalty maybe, or just a stoke of luck for once, the whole dynmanic of the game changes. 
    Wigan may get nervy, they may be off their game. They come to us having to attack, which hasn't been the case with other teams recently.
    With Doughty and Williams playing, we looked decent on the counter attack yesterday. Wigan may leave gaps that we can exploit.
    Their performance against Hull has everyone terrified, but it may have been an anomaly and we should approach it as such.
    On the subject of Bonne's miss, having thought about it, he didn't do much wrong, if he'd hit it harder, it's likely the keeper would still have blocked it, in fact a soft shot may have been better and might have crept in under the keeper. Lee Camps positioning was top class.
    Like it did last night?  Supporting charlton seems like an abusive relationship, where things are forgotten and papered over on a weekly basis. I feel we all have Stockholm syndrome 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Like it did last night?  Supporting charlton seems like an abusive relationship, where things are forgotten and papered over on a weekly basis. I feel we all have Stockholm syndrome 
    The only Stockholm syndrome we have at Charlton is the fans who defend Duchatelet. 
    It is easy to do if you only consider that it was better pre 2020 ,without remembering that he divided the club from the ground.
  • Options
    See that now. And -2 is just 17/2, but last night i got 22/1 for -2. They have clearly wisened up (or had made an error)!
    Bet fair odds on a 0.4 Wigan victory now at 40-1...

5.0 gets you 125-1! 

Would never do it but interesting as there long odds so bookies maybe think Wigan can't repeat Hull possibly???? 

• Options
    I do agree with your post, but the highlighted part reads exactly what the plan was against Birmingham and that didn't work out. Just have to hope it does this time. 
  • Options
    I do agree with your post, but the highlighted part reads exactly what the plan was against Birmingham and that didn't work out. Just have to hope it does this time. 
    Birmingham knew a point would save them though so were happy to sit back and invite pressure

Wigan I can assure you will not do that on Saturday they cant afford to

I really hope we get the kick off as if we dont, they'll be in our defences faces from the word go - Push them back into their own half as early as we can and keep the ball, even if it means going back to the Goalkeeper and going between the Defence, annoy them, frustrate them into losing their shape as they need the ball more than we do, and when they start to do that we can potentially take advantage of it. It irritates our fans (and rightly so when the players lose the ball quickly) but whilst we have the ball, Wigan dont and if they dont have the ball they cannot score!!

I'm not saying go ultra defensive and do nothing more than that, what I'm saying is the players need to pick their attacks carefully and wisely... Crosses into the box like Birmingham on Wednesday cannot be lofted in, the likes of Chey Dunkley will clear the danger all day long, keep it low into the box and make it easy for Bonne, after all he's not going to win 50/50 headers against them

And above all else, DO NOT GIVE THEM SET PIECES WHETHER ITS A FREE KICK OR CORNER... that was our undoing in Wigan
  • Options
    We get a point on Saturday worst case scenario then we go into the last day no worse off than Wigan | Hull | Luton (depending who has won that last game)

Even if Huddersfield win tomorrow a point will keep us above those three and all four of us go into the last game of the season facing bloody tough ties - The difference is us and Luton are probably the only two sides down there that'll be facing teams with nothing to play for (and of course Luton wont be a threat come the last day if they lose to Hull) Fulham certainly wont want to lose as they'll need momentum going into the Play-Offs, Cardiff (Hull's opponents) will probably be trying to get into the Play-Offs so will know nothing less than a win will save them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Leeds win on Sunday they are Champions, they will have nothing to say play for when they play us. 

Not saying this is always a great thing as they will be completely relaxed and confident. We can only hope they’ll already be on the beach. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    reserves said:
    If Leeds win on Sunday they are Champions, they will have nothing to say play for when they play us. 

Not saying this is always a great thing as they will be completely relaxed and confident. We can only hope they’ll already be on the beach. 
    They were on their (very short) holidays today... No Kalvin Phillips will hurt them as for them its like losing Pratley and Field

Its a bloody risky strategy relying on two points keeping us up but draws with Wigan / Leeds could do it (No I'm not saying it should be the aim, of course if there is a chance of the win we should take it) but dont see two of Wigan | Luton | Hull all winning on the last day
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oshilaja just got bullied in the box for their first up there @ForeverAddickted if I remember correctly. Here's the extract from my post match report;

that all important first goal came from a corner as Oshilaja was outmuscled by their larger CB who wrapped his foot around the cross and with no one on Phillips right hand post we went 1-0 down.

The second goal was down the other end and the same player Dunkley this time rose unchallenged from a corner
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Oshilaja just got bullied in the box for their first up there @ForeverAddickted if I remember correctly. Here's the extract from my post match report;

that all important first goal came from a corner as Oshilaja was outmuscled by their larger CB who wrapped his foot around the cross and with no one on Phillips right hand post we went 1-0 down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxgDd6duXw

Here you go... Very soft goals from the corners, then again we should have had the clear penalty on Naby Sarr (which I didnt remember)
  • Options
    Barnsley today showed us that Leeds are not unbeatable (yes they lost, but that was as much their own inability to finish as anything). Like us, Barnsley are fighting for their lives from a much worse position than is and they really took the game to Leeds today, are we capable of doing the same if we need to?
  • Options
    Win a game. That's all there is to it, should have been yesterday but it wasn't, so now we need it to be Saturday
  • Options
    Birmingham knew a point would save them though so were happy to sit back and invite pressure

I really hope we get the kick off as if we dont, they'll be in our defences faces from the word go - Push them back into their own half as early as we can and keep the ball, even if it means going back to the Goalkeeper and going between the Defence, annoy them, frustrate them into losing their shape as they need the ball more than we do, and when they start to do that we can potentially take advantage of it. It irritates our fans (and rightly so when the players lose the ball quickly) but whilst we have the ball, Wigan dont and if they dont have the ball they cannot score!!

I'm not saying go ultra defensive and do nothing more than that, what I'm saying is the players need to pick their attacks carefully and wisely... Crosses into the box like Birmingham on Wednesday cannot be lofted in, the likes of Chey Dunkley will clear the danger all day long, keep it low into the box and make it easy for Bonne, after all he's not going to win 50/50 headers against them

And above all else, DO NOT GIVE THEM SET PIECES WHETHER ITS A FREE KICK OR CORNER... that was our undoing in Wigan
    Doughty and McGeady both put in some great low crosses at pace last night, just need whoever is in the box to tap them in. I say just, harder than it sounds, but that's definitely the way forward rather than the slow high crosses that Wigan defenders will love. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:
    Barnsley today showed us that Leeds are not unbeatable (yes they lost, but that was as much their own inability to finish as anything). Like us, Barnsley are fighting for their lives from a much worse position than is and they really took the game to Leeds today, are we capable of doing the same if we need to?
    Yes I think we can... We scared Brentford a few weeks ago, we simply dont like facing teams that'll sit back when we attack

Leeds wont do that, the trouble with facing Leeds will be trying to get the ball in the first place but if we can be clever with it then we can hurt them

We couldnt even do it in League One, take that Oxford performance for example
  • Options

Doughty and McGeady both put in some great low crosses at pace last night, just need whoever is in the box to tap them in. I say just, harder than it sounds, but that's definitely the way forward rather than the slow high crosses that Wigan defenders will love. 
    That did my nut in last night!!... All first half it was high cross after high cross, was the same against Reading and we didnt learn our lesson...

Second half we altered and stuck about three low efforts in and almost scored from two of them

No offence to him as he'd not long been on but then Morgan comes on, tries to loft a cross in yet cant beat the first man who is grateful for the gift

The majority of Centre-Backs at this level dont like the ball to their feet, Lockyer and Pearce are no different
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Win a game. That's all there is to it, should have been yesterday but it wasn't, so now we need it to be Saturday
    Thats the perfect scenario... wont be toooooo bad if Hull / Luton draw or if Hull win, worst case scenario is we draw and Luton win... Lets not think about losing on Saturday!!

The further down those scenarios you go simply makes Wednesday all the more stressful