Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Salisbury poisonings BBC

Comments

• Options
    m_2 said:
    Yep, you have to be mad, weird or bizarre if you don’t see the world like the BBC!
    Have you ever actually met anyone from "the BBC"? 
    I got a Blue Peter badge from John Noakes if that counts.
  • Options
    I fed the elephant with the laxatives if that counts?
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    As this crime happened in my local town I was frankly dreading the BBC doing their normal 'take' on what was a devastating assault on this country.
    I envisiged the BBC adapting the people involved to their view of the world with BAME, gay and dominant females but thankfully only the latter appeared. What a travesty though that as expected the majority of the male characters were subservient, bumbling and 'not there when wanted' when actually they did play an important part too.
    PS Before the Corbynistas pounce, I'm not going to bend the knee to convicted armed robbers or those who assault the police either!
    I think this is the biggest piece of stupidity I’ve read on this site.

Quite some going considering we have Millwall supporters posting. 
  • Options
    Oops, I left out that if you think the BBC is biased then you are obviously stupid. Amazing how gullible some people are . . . 
  • Options
    Just caught up with the recordings I made of it. 

I thought that it was fascinating viewing, I have a number of minor criticisms that I won't bother with here.

I did, however feel that they story almost completely missed the bigger picture. I get that it was intended to show us the things we didn't know about, but the arguments in Parliament with Corbyn wanting to include the assassins in the investigation and the huge world impact this had should have been included. This was barely touched on but is vital for context I believe as shown it is only part of the story and it would have shown why the pressures on the leading characters were so great.

Perhaps the writers thought we all know this already, but give it a few years and the story will be coming fresh to a new audience.

Despite my comments, it's well worth watching. 
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    As this crime happened in my local town I was frankly dreading the BBC doing their normal 'take' on what was a devastating assault on this country.
    I envisiged the BBC adapting the people involved to their view of the world with BAME, gay and dominant females but thankfully only the latter appeared. What a travesty though that as expected the majority of the male characters were subservient, bumbling and 'not there when wanted' when actually they did play an important part too.
    PS Before the Corbynistas pounce, I'm not going to bend the knee to convicted armed robbers or those who assault the police either!
    And you've worked in PR all your life !
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Good series but why did the doctors and nurses not stop family members get close to/touch the ill patients when they knew they were poisoned and possibly infectious?
    Don't think you can "catch" poisoning.
    Surely you can with Radiation poisoning 
    You can’t catch radiation poisoning. You can get poisoned by the same source as someone else but unless you’ve got radioactive material on or in you, you can’t poison someone else. Polonium, which was used with Litvinyenko (spelling?) has a half-life of 138 days so will still be effective for some time, but I’d think the amount needed to kill you from the inside would be quite small and not too dangerous to those around you. 

Novichok and other nerve agents need internal or external contact to poison you. If the poisoned person has it on them they could infect others but not if it was only inside them. 
    So you can catch it from somebody then !

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Good series but why did the doctors and nurses not stop family members get close to/touch the ill patients when they knew they were poisoned and possibly infectious?
    You can’t catch radiation poisoning. You can get poisoned by the same source as someone else but unless you’ve got radioactive material on or in you, you can’t poison someone else. Polonium, which was used with Litvinyenko (spelling?) has a half-life of 138 days so will still be effective for some time, but I’d think the amount needed to kill you from the inside would be quite small and not too dangerous to those around you. 

Novichok and other nerve agents need internal or external contact to poison you. If the poisoned person has it on them they could infect others but not if it was only inside them. 

No, you can't catch it.  If somebody has radiation poisoning, they aren't radioactive.  They may have radioactive material on/in them which can poison you but that's not catching it, just like you can't catch arsenic poisoning.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

No, you can't catch it.  If somebody has radiation poisoning, they aren't radioactive.  They may have radioactive material on/in them which can poison you but that's not catching it, just like you can't catch arsenic poisoning.
    Semantics?
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Oops, I left out that if you think the BBC is biased then you are obviously stupid. Amazing how gullible some people are . . . 
    Morning Mr Farage, when did you move down to Wiltshire?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought that it was fascinating viewing, I have a number of minor criticisms that I won't bother with here.

I did, however feel that they story almost completely missed the bigger picture. I get that it was intended to show us the things we didn't know about, but the arguments in Parliament with Corbyn wanting to include the assassins in the investigation and the huge world impact this had should have been included. This was barely touched on but is vital for context I believe as shown it is only part of the story and it would have shown why the pressures on the leading characters were so great.

Perhaps the writers thought we all know this already, but give it a few years and the story will be coming fresh to a new audience.

It stated right at the start what the "picture" was that this production sought to show.
    "...Based on first hand accounts and extensive interviews (with the people of Salisbury)...this is their story."
    Patently not the prattle and noise of politicos and their agendas - that might make an interesting feature but simply wasn't what this was about.
  • Options
    m_2 said:

• Options

It stated right at the start what the "picture" was that this production sought to show.
    "...Based on first hand accounts and extensive interviews (with the people of Salisbury)...this is their story."
    Patently not the prattle and noise of politicos and their agendas - that might make an interesting feature but simply wasn't what this was about.
    it was a well constructed story and very well acted i thought, enjoyed it very much.

Such a pity  that no mention was made of the subsequent diplomatic activity ( the bigger picture as TellyTubby says ).
    The expulsion of so many Russian diplomats by a well coordinated campaign, not only the EU but including Australia, Canada, US & others.
    A rare example of diplomatic cooperation. 

Disappointing the program didn't mention that the EU confirmed  the poison was Novachock (spelling?) and almost certain to have come from Russia.
    Its important, our future diplomatic and trade relations with Russia have been severely damaged.     
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Just a bit, I’ve worked in PR all my life.
    OK. So I guess you imply that you have met more than one BBC journalist. And in your dealings with them, did you somehow detect that they all had strong and similar political viewpoints, compared with those you dealt with from ITV or Sky?
  • Options

Thete were key personnel missing though. But didn't spoil it as a drama to warch
  • Options
    Would be interesting to watch it as someone who knows nothing about the attack.

Most people round the world will not already know what happens and enjoy it as a drama based on fact and enjoy the twists and turns of the "plot" ! 
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    OK. So I guess you imply that you have met more than one BBC journalist. And in your dealings with them, did you somehow detect that they all had strong and similar political viewpoints, compared with those you dealt with from ITV or Sky?

Come on PragueAddick , you know as well as I do that the BBC will only employ staff with a left wing view, ITV people who don't mind basing everything on the lowest common denominator and Sky staff are directed by Murdock who is anti Johnson until he 'takes a knee' as all previous PM's have done and give him another slice of the national media.
    PS Memories of our joint attempt to help the club in another crisis years ago . . .?
  • Options
    Everybody knows the BBC only appoint people who have been interviewed and approved by Jeremy Corbyn first.
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    m_2 said:

Come on PragueAddick , you know as well as I do that the BBC will only employ staff with a left wing view, ITV people who don't mind basing everything on the lowest common denominator and Sky staff are directed by Murdock who is anti Johnson until he 'takes a knee' as all previous PM's have done and give him another slice of the national media.
    PS Memories of our joint attempt to help the club in another crisis years ago . . .?
    Left wing? Have you ever heard of Robbie Gibb? ( not the Bee Gee obvs) Are you not aware of the previous Tory associations of Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson, to name but two? What a load of bollocks. I tell you what their journos do have in common: a distaste for liars, corrupt bastards and con-men. I am not of course suggesting that all PR people fall into that category, least of all you:-) Sorry I dont know your identity but I can name you plenty of current BBC journos who follow our current plight with great sympathy, e.g. Phil Parry at BBC London Sport.
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    m_2 said:

I thought Murdock sold out his share in Sky.
    But you seem to know more than most about broadcasters than me, although to me, you come across as as someone who’s trying to make an augment where there isn’t one to have. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Would be interesting to watch it as someone who knows nothing about the attack.

Most people round the world will not already know what happens and enjoy it as a drama based on fact and enjoy the twists and turns of the "plot" ! 
    Like my wife then who has zero recollection of it. I think I finally accepted she was telling the truth after the 50th time I said "Really?"
  • Options
    m_2m_2
    edited June 2020
    m_2 said:
    m_2 said:

Left wing? Have you ever heard of Robbie Gibb? ( not the Bee Gee obvs) Are you not aware of the previous Tory associations of Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson, to name but two? What a load of bollocks. I tell you what their journos do have in common: a distaste for liars, corrupt bastards and con-men. I am not of course suggesting that all PR people fall into that category, least of all you:-) Sorry I dont know your identity but I can name you plenty of current BBC journos who follow our current plight with great sympathy, e.g. Phil Parry at BBC London Sport.
    Sorry mate, I really appreciate all the good work you’ve done on behalf of the club and C L members but on the issue of ‘Is the BBC left wing and ‘Woke’ biased you haven’t got a leg to stand on.

What happened in Salisbury was devastating for so many people but the BBC would only show the situation in the light of women’s issues because that is all that is important to them.

Notwithstanding the political, international and economic consequences, what about the dozens of traders who went bankrupt when their shops were closed off? What happened to their families?

We’ve had a double whammy now with Covid and all we get from the BBC is woke propaganda. And we have to pay for it!

• Options
    It was a fact based drama, not a documentary.
  • Options
    It was a fact based drama, not a documentary.
    Yes, a fact, woke based drama - get it?
  • Options
    Keyboard warriors . . . don't you just love em!
    For my sins I have spent most of my working life studying the media in the UK, Europe and USA and the way that 24 hour news spin and communications are managed. I have seen how the various media all have their own agenda dictated either by their owners or their political affiliations - and also the way that most people in this country are just oblivious to the way that facts are skewed according to whoever you happen to be viewing or listening to.
    I happen to have first hand knowledge of what happened in Salisbury and the damage caused to so many people and just because the reality does not fit with what you have been led to believe does not mean I am going to just let them get away with a 'Woke' version without comment.
    There you go, now lets concentrate on the lads this afternoon!
  • Options
    So the person in charge of Public Health in Wiltshire was a man, but it was deliberately changed to a working mother with a Polish surname in order to be woke (whatever the bejaysus that's supposed to mean)?
  • Options
    I woke up this morning, and thought, "hang on, surely Murdoch doesn't control Sky any more?" so thanks @charltonkeston for confirming I didn't dream that.

Anyway that was a very odd intervention but best taken up on a politics thread when Cummings takes the axe to the BBC. As @m_2 says, we have some footie to focus on.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    So the person in charge of Public Health in Wiltshire was a man, but it was deliberately changed to a working mother with a Polish surname in order to be woke (whatever the bejaysus that's supposed to mean)?
    Who is Tracy Daszkiewicz then - is someone saying she didn't do what was portrayed in the drama (and got a promotion for)? Seems fhe did a blooming great job