Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Salisbury poisonings BBC

Did anyone watch the 3 part drama telling the story of the Salisbury Poisonings in 2018. Thought it was brilliantly put together and acted throughout. Lots of parts I didn't know had happened and how bad it was for those who were poisoned

Well worth a watch on BBC Iplayer 

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I enjoyed it. It was well done, well acted and only three episodes so not too padded out. Definitely worth checking out.
  • Options
    Maybe it was only me but why when he first went to the hospital did the copper not even mention he’d been in the Schripol house? Could have saved him and his family a lot of problems.
  • Options
    Very well done, good performances.
  • Options
    Did we send the programme to Moscow to get their thoughts on what they thought on it before it aired? - Jeremy Corbyn, probably. 
  • Options
    What ever happened to Jezza?
  • Options
    Good series but why did the doctors and nurses not stop family members get close to/touch the ill patients when they knew they were poisoned and possibly infectious?
  • Options
    What ever happened to Jezza?

Another comedy genius......
  • Options
    Good series but why did the doctors and nurses not stop family members get close to/touch the ill patients when they knew they were poisoned and possibly infectious?
    Don't think you can "catch" poisoning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    maybe not but they certainly looked infectious. 
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but if you are interested by this sort of thing (Russian spies, KGB, MI6 etc) I can recommend the book 'The Spy and the Traitor' by Ben Macintyre. Brilliant read.

• Options
    Thought it was good but a very high level version of what haopened and concentrated on a few individuals when a lot more were involved - a lot of key points, personnel and decisions missing. But maybe that is all that could be included
  • Options
  • Options
    Thought it was good but a very high level version of what haopened and concentrated on a few individuals when a lot more were involved - a lot of key points, personnel and decisions missing. But maybe that is all that could be included
    Maybe some people didnt speak to the production team or want things public.

One thing did puzzle me though. At the end (and I've subsequently checked online) they said that Dawn's family are pushing for an enquiry & want answers. To what exactly. ? The fact her boyfriend found something in a bin & gave it to her as a present. I thought those in charge did bloody well locking down Salisbury when they did & removing benches doors etc that were contaminated. Dont think you can blame anybody for not finding the source of the poison. Perhaps they want to ask Putin along for a chat.....I'm sure he'll likely give them the answers they are looking for.
  • Options
    Surely you can with Radiation poisoning 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely you can with Radiation poisoning 
    You can’t catch radiation poisoning. You can get poisoned by the same source as someone else but unless you’ve got radioactive material on or in you, you can’t poison someone else. Polonium, which was used with Litvinyenko (spelling?) has a half-life of 138 days so will still be effective for some time, but I’d think the amount needed to kill you from the inside would be quite small and not too dangerous to those around you. 

Novichok and other nerve agents need internal or external contact to poison you. If the poisoned person has it on them they could infect others but not if it was only inside them. 
  • Options
    Quite choked up at the end of that. As @Airman Brown says about Public Health officials in this country, they are well prepared and the best people to trace and track! Wonder why we don't use them (or fund them) more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a drama it worked really well.  Add in that it's a true story with significant involvement of those directly impacted and it made it deeply affecting.
    I've no idea how close to reality the 2 central government characters were or whether they just represented officialdom's attitude but their obsessions with spin/distortion and cost were chilling.  An informative insight to the motivations in play in our current health emergency. 
    Interesting to note that Superintendent Dave Minty and his boss DCC Mills were both awarded the Queen's Police Medal in the last New Year's Honours list.  Based on the drama perhaps not hard to see why Minty was rewarded and inconceivable his boss wouldn't get at least the same.  Quite a long time after the vents.

Tracy Daszkiewicz's role in the matter can not be understated.   She'd been in post barely 3 months when events unfolded in March 2018.  While she was undoubtedly executing the training she had received up to that point in her career, the tangible prospect of the illness and death of potentially thousands of people, in her own town, would have flattened many.  No matter how much training, how much theoretical rehearsal one might have seen, the sudden reality would overwhelm the majority.
    Incidentally that training hadn't included chemical weapons and nerve agent poisoning, not unreasonably one might have said.  Her achievement in that light, is all the more remarkable.
    She's had a promotion and is currently with PHE in its current COVID engagement but surely some sort of award or acknowledgement, commensurate with those dished out to plod above, is due, is it not?  Without Mrs Daszkiewicz, Messrs Minty & Mills's jobs would have been entirely different.
    Modest to the last, she is quoted as stating her role was just one in a team of dozens, then supported by hundreds more of her council colleagues; she was 'just doing her job'.
    There can be no doubt that if any part of the incident had turned out measurably worse, then hers would have been among the first high profile heads to role, irrespective of actual fault or failing.  Her job title would have been one to which it was easy for the scum in the press or in Westminster to attach blame despite their own abject ignorance and complacency. 
    This. I did look up to see is she had been given an award as like you thought surely she must have. But couldn't find anything
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    As this crime happened in my local town I was frankly dreading the BBC doing their normal 'take' on what was a devastating assault on this country.
    I envisiged the BBC adapting the people involved to their view of the world with BAME, gay and dominant females but thankfully only the latter appeared. What a travesty though that as expected the majority of the male characters were subservient, bumbling and 'not there when wanted' when actually they did play an important part too.
    PS Before the Corbynistas pounce, I'm not going to bend the knee to convicted armed robbers or those who assault the police either!
    Bizarre 
  • Options
    I haven’t seen it.
    Gutted now as I was told one of the characters is someone I worked with.
    Can’t get iplayer here.
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Yep, you have to be mad, weird or bizarre if you don’t see the world like the BBC!
    Have you ever actually met anyone from "the BBC"? 
  • Options
    Just a bit, I’ve worked in PR all my life.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I haven’t seen it.
    Gutted now as I was told one of the characters is someone I worked with.
    Can’t get iplayer here.
    VPN, KB?