Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many holes does a straw have?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    If a hole is defined as an absence of matter, the term can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be.

I submit that the straw is simply a continuous curved surface and that no matter ever existed or was intended to exist within the confines of the aforementioned continuous curved surface.

Therefore, there is no hole, there never was a hole.  A straw has no hole.
    How many holes does a colander have then?
    But you talk about "where matter should be" - and there shouldn't be matter where the holes are in the colander!

... Why has quarantine got me like so
    Schoolboy error, PaddyP17.

There used to be matter there … and that has subsequently been removed in order to produce the colander.  Hence we have a hole (or several holes, in fact).

I'm surprised that you missed this point.  It's fairly obvious really … but I forgive you.  
    Except a plastic colander, being moulded, never had matter there. 
    From which we conclude that there are no holes in a plastic colander.

It's not difficult, is it?
    Just clarifying colanders  can have holes and no holes.
    Correct.  Entirely based on the method of manufacture.

The inner part of a chip pan would be another good example of the holeless basket.  Shopping trolley ... shark cage.  There must be others.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    • Nestlé’s Consumer Services team receives hundreds of calls a year about Polo. Favourite question is what the factory does with the middle of the Polos. The answer is that there never is a middle, each Polo is made with a hole in it.
    • The pressure Polo is put under when formed is 75 kilonewtons, which is equivalent to the weight of two elephants jumping on it.

Based on my proposed definition (that the term 'hole' can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be), it would appear that there is no hole in a Polo mint.

It looks like Rowntrees, and subsequently Nestlé, have been fooling us for years.

Outrageous.  I will never suck the toroidal confection again.
    Worse still, Polo once sold little little circular discs of mints matter and called them Holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBkUl5k1uI

• Options
    I have never read anything about holes on the internet that turned out to be nothing about holes...
  • Options
    So, I hate to be the one ..

An arsehole is not an arsehole? Unless his surname is Southall or Duchatelet obviously.
  • Options
    No holes in a straw, it’s a hollow cylinder.

Then is a pipe the same?  How long does it have to be before you may consider it has two?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    • Nestlé’s Consumer Services team receives hundreds of calls a year about Polo. Favourite question is what the factory does with the middle of the Polos. The answer is that there never is a middle, each Polo is made with a hole in it.
    • The pressure Polo is put under when formed is 75 kilonewtons, which is equivalent to the weight of two elephants jumping on it.

Based on my proposed definition (that the term 'hole' can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be), it would appear that there is no hole in a Polo mint.

It looks like Rowntrees, and subsequently Nestlé, have been fooling us for years.

Outrageous.  I will never suck the toroidal confection again.
    Worse still, Polo once sold little little circular discs of mints matter and called them Holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBkUl5k1uI

They were good, those.  Like nicer Smints.
  • Options
    Im still concentrating on the coriander, trying to see the holes, let alone count ‘em
  • Options
    So is a pot hole counted as a hole...🤔
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    No holes in a straw, it’s a hollow cylinder.

Then is a pipe the same?  How long does it have to be before you may consider it has two?
    There will never be two. Just like Highlander, there can only be one. Even if you said “There’s a hole at each end”, it would be the two ends of the same hole. Assuming it is a hole, of course. 
  • Options
    It all depends on how you define the word 'straw'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So is a pot hole counted as a hole...🤔

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
    And though the holes were rather small
    They had to count them all
    Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall
  • Options

Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    If a hole is defined as an absence of matter, the term can only be applied where we are certain that matter should be.

I submit that the straw is simply a continuous curved surface and that no matter ever existed or was intended to exist within the confines of the aforementioned continuous curved surface.

But you talk about "where matter should be" - and there shouldn't be matter where the holes are in the colander!

... Why has quarantine got me like so
    Schoolboy error, PaddyP17.

There used to be matter there … and that has subsequently been removed in order to produce the colander.  Hence we have a hole (or several holes, in fact).

I'm surprised that you missed this point.  It's fairly obvious really … but I forgive you.  
    Except a plastic colander, being moulded, never had matter there. 
    From which we conclude that there are no holes in a plastic colander.

It's not difficult, is it?
    Just clarifying colanders  can have holes and no holes.
    Correct.  Entirely based on the method of manufacture.

The inner part of a chip pan would be another good example of the holeless basket.  Shopping trolley ... shark cage.  There must be others.
    This is the basis for Schroedingers Colander. It like the cat one. You put a colander in a box, but until some opens the box to find out what it’s made of, you don’t know whether it has holes or not. 

This is a magnificent concept, SomervilleAddick.  You may also have captured the thrill and excitement of receiving a colander for Christmas.

Imagine … you know that you're getting a colander (perhaps because of a careless remark by a loved one, or because you have been hinting for weeks), but you don't know whether it will be a man's metal colander (hence, complete with holes) or some pathetic, plastic wannabe colander (probably made in China) with … well … gaps and apertures, I suppose you would call them.
  • Options
    none............ it wouldn't be a straw if there wasn't any space in the middle.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Im still concentrating on the coriander, trying to see the holes, let alone count ‘em
    Are we talking leaves, seeds or powder?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

None and I’ve checked and then double-checked all the way from January to December.
  • Options
    Obviously a straw has no holes, it's a tube. A straw with a hole in it doesn't work.  A tube with holes in it is a flute or recorder.