Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Inheritance moral dilemma

2»

Comments

• I'm glad it seems to be sorted and pleased that you got to speak to his partner.
  • Gasman said:
    Wow. Just spoken to my uncles partner. My uncle died over 2 years ago. Bit of a confusing chat but nice. My uncles partner is 87 now ,has his own flat and plenty of his own money. He did leave a will to me because as a kid i was nice to him when he came out as gay. I dont recal that. He has been looking for me for 2 poxy years. They split up years ago but was sole partners only. His partner so happy to contact me as he not interested in any assest just didnt want state having it.  A solicitor will contact me soon. Thankyou for advice above. Still feel bloody guilty for not having contact tho.
    Not your fault Gasman, and clearly you are a decent chap - that accepting his sexuality obviously came so naturally to you, you don't even remember it as an issue, speaks volumes.

Enjoy your inheritance.     
  • Gasman said:
    Wow. Just spoken to my uncles partner. My uncle died over 2 years ago. Bit of a confusing chat but nice. My uncles partner is 87 now ,has his own flat and plenty of his own money. He did leave a will to me because as a kid i was nice to him when he came out as gay. I dont recal that. He has been looking for me for 2 poxy years. They split up years ago but was sole partners only. His partner so happy to contact me as he not interested in any assest just didnt want state having it.  A solicitor will contact me soon. Thankyou for advice above. Still feel bloody guilty for not having contact tho.

Seems to me that your uncle, his partner and yourself are all good men.
    Accept the inheritance with the love your uncle clearly still had for you even after all those years apart.
  • If there is a solicitor involved I’m more than a little surprised that they didn’t use a track and trace agency to find you as opposed to leaving it up to your late uncle’s partner.

Still don’t understand why people don’t leave a will. Your Uncle obviously wanted you to inherit but if they’d not been able to track you down his inheritance may have ended up going to the state.
    His uncle did leave a will as stated in the second post. 

Agree with you generally though, my father in law won't do one, although he is a strange man generally.
  • bobmunro said:
    I think all three of us posted the same thing at the same time.
    And the number of likes reflects the quickness of our fingers! Sorry bob, bronze medal for you
  • bobmunro said:
    I think all three of us posted the same thing at the same time.
    And the number of likes reflects the quickness of our fingers! Sorry bob, bronze medal for you

A podium place is more than satisfactory - I'll take that!
  • Gasman said:
    Sounds like a happy ending, this really brightened my day @Gasman , thanks for sharing. 

Glad its all worked out for you. 
  • edited June 2020
    If you were not a decent human being, this thread would not exist. As his partner clearly doesn't need or seem to want the money, then accept it. Don't feel guilty, but when you see ignorance and intolerance from those around you, fight it in your Uncle's name.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm perplexed as to why it's taken two years to track you down.
  • Yer really strange why 2 years.  Im easy to find if i google my name.  I suspose all will become clearer in time.
  • Gasman said:
    Yer really strange why 2 years.  Im easy to find if i google my name.  I suspose all will become clearer in time.

I'm a very cynical so and so hence my earlier post.  I'm sure it is all legit but I would keep your wits about you anyway.

I'm probably scarred by Charlton takeovers that I presume everyone has an angle these days :-) 
  • I'm perplexed as to why it's taken two years to track you down.
    I’m match of this year, too many people needed tracing so the government stopped trying!

or gasman is a 00 and doesn’t exist
  • Gasman said:
    Yer really strange why 2 years.  Im easy to find if i google my name.  I suspose all will become clearer in time.

I'm a very cynical so and so hence my earlier post.  I'm sure it is all legit but I would keep your wits about you anyway.

I'm probably scarred by Charlton takeovers that I presume everyone has an angle these days :-) 
    Yeah, don't you/ your mum go spending until you actually get some money.
  • Hi all.  Dose anybody have any idea on value. They are my late uncles investments that we are sorting out. Very confused.  Have contacted the fund management firm but waiting for reply.  Any thoughts? Can i buy the charlton or smallwall ?
  • Gasman said:
    Hi all.  Dose anybody have any idea on value. They are my late uncles investments that we are sorting out. Very confused.  Have contacted the fund management firm but waiting for reply.  Any thoughts? Can i buy the charlton or smallwall ?
    The solicitors should help sort this out, funds may be listed here, bid price for an approximate value per unit https://www.trustnet.com/ - usual caviats - can go up or down and best to get advice of a qualified professional 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    Gasman said:
    Hi all.  Dose anybody have any idea on value. They are my late uncles investments that we are sorting out. Very confused.  Have contacted the fund management firm but waiting for reply.  Any thoughts? Can i buy the charlton or smallwall ?
    I'm a financial advisor & can easily get the fund prices for you. Will look them up in the morning & get back to you.

Do you know if they are in a pension, Investment Bond or unit trust/ISA  ? I'm assuming an Investment Bond given the  "SIP" infront of 2 of them. Skandia (now Old Mutual) Investment Plan ? 

• Hi golfaddick
    Thankyou so much. Im not sure really but on the limited paperwork we have its a annuity of some kind. I understand he reinvested his old council pension and chose not to take the lump sum and also reinvest that.  Sanlam wealth was informed of his death in july 2018.
  • Hi golf. Its a annuity. Just spoke to sanlam and policy ends on death. No further benefits.  Thanks for reply tho.
  • edited July 2020
    Carter said:
    You know what to do mate 

Let his partner live in the house for free and when he passes away worry about what to do next. Or sign it all over to your uncles partner now
    This. Carter solved it for you. 

It's good of you to consider the partner. Now I think you need to do right by him. I suspect it's what your uncle would have wanted.

Sorry just seen the update. Good on you as a kid.
  • Gasman said:
    Hi golf. Its a annuity. Just spoke to sanlam and policy ends on death. No further benefits.  Thanks for reply tho.
    Ok, thanks for letting us know and sorry its not better news for you.
  • I agree with the first responses, if you can let him live there rent free and he just keep the property well maintained... However i would add if you were planning on selling and using the money (even though not expected) but to get a better house yourself, maybe have a word with his partner and ask if he they are planning on moving out or you could help him. Not being harsh but if you inherit it and you can improve your lifestyle / house, business plans with the money then you should go for it just run it by the partner and make sure he isn't at a loss for doing so. if that makes sense? 

The only doubt from me is, if his partner does live in the property say for another 10-20 years, you wont have the full benefit of the inheritance. so if its not immoral to think otherwise, you can still be a good person even if that is your choice. 

Sorry for your loss and hopefully you can make the best of a bad situation. 
  • Gasman said:
    This has been a really strange situation really. Short story is  he left nothing to us and all to his partner.  Took ages to sort out.  His partner was convinced but he is 87 and confused. Im just happy all sorted and made contact with his partner who seems keen to keep in touch to the point he calls me mother every evening lol.  So we move on and possibly need extra space at the christmas table . Happy ending . Thanks all. Just need 3 points tonight and day off golfing tomorrow.  All good
    Oh thats lovely, a great little story and nice you might have gained someone. Good luck with your golf, goes without saying fingers crossed with the first bit COYR