Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford

Comments

• Options
    An incredibly impressive young man and one hell of a footballer!
    I will give you impressive young man but "one hell of of a footballer"......................nah, bang average at best. If we are pinning any hopes of winning the Euro's on him we may as well not turn up.
    Not saying he is the complete footballer but I think the truth is that Rashford is probably nearer being "one hell of a footballer"  because I've yet to meet a player who is anywhere near being "bang average" having scored 47 goals and had 20 assists over the course of two seasons. 
  • Options
    I haven’t listened to it yet, but Penguin Podcast latest episode is Rashford in conversation with Obama. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-penguin-podcast/id89411073?i=1000523400835

Tune in to an exclusive conversation between Barack Obama and England and Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford as they meet for the first time.

In this special bonus episode of the #PenguinPodcast, moderated by June Sarpong, Barack Obama and Marcus Rashford discuss the power that young people have to make change, the positive impact that reading can have and the importance of giving back to your local community.
  • Options
    He’s been poor in the second half of this season and I expect it will cost him his starting place in the euros .
  • Options
    Don't let him take penalty though...
  • Options
    Surely the Spectator should be lauding a philanthropic millionaire. 🤷🏻
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None of us have seen the piece so not sure its appropriate to criticise yet.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He needs to get back to concentrating on football, his form since the school meals appeal has been shocking. If he wants to go into politics then do so, otherwise do what you are paid to do. 
    Man U fans won't put up for it for long if he's constantly on social media debating and not playing great.
    Hes a smashing player but I feel he's going down a weird route if he wants to be an elite player.
    And, before I'm labelled,  I benefitted from free school meals in my days and didn't really appreciate it until I was older so appreciate all of his sentiments and think he's done really well. 
    His form was affected by a shoulder problem, that should have been dealt with last season, and is now being operated on. 
    It's not though. Man U have even said they don't know what's going on with the operation. Yet he was still in the squad for England so i doubt he would be if form was due to injury.
    Player's have bad spells
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He needs to get back to concentrating on football, his form since the school meals appeal has been shocking. If he wants to go into politics then do so, otherwise do what you are paid to do. 
    Man U fans won't put up for it for long if he's constantly on social media debating and not playing great.
    Hes a smashing player but I feel he's going down a weird route if he wants to be an elite player.
    And, before I'm labelled,  I benefitted from free school meals in my days and didn't really appreciate it until I was older so appreciate all of his sentiments and think he's done really well. 
    His form was affected by a shoulder problem, that should have been dealt with last season, and is now being operated on. 
    It's not though. Man U have even said they don't know what's going on with the operation. Yet he was still in the squad for England so i doubt he would be if form was due to injury.
    Player's have bad spells
    Usually once they sign for us 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It's an interesting one with Rashford. He burst onto the scene in a blaze of glory literally because Utd had run out of forwards and he was the only one left! He's clearly a talented and intelligent boy, but he's so up and down football wise. Can look like a world beater one moment then like a poor man's pawel abbott the next! No doubt the "right wing media" are out to discredit him, but he's put himself under the media spotlight politics wise, so I guess it comes with the territory

Edit. I would add, don't call people out when your own house ain't squeaky clean, because people will always dig and find something you've done in the past that'll come back and bite you on the aris!
  • Options
    I don’t really give a flying fcuk about his form,  unless he’s playing for England but I do care about the good he does and long may that continue , good on him
    He did play for England in a tournament when he should not have been on form.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Player's have bad spells
    He’s had the problem since November, and United are weighing up options. That’s been a drag on his form, not helping kids get food
  • Options
    I don’t really give a flying fcuk about his form,  unless he’s playing for England but I do care about the good he does and long may that continue , good on him

Then blame Southgate for picking him. Rashford is a thoroughly decent human being which leads me to the presumption that he would have wanted to have been at the Euros to represent his county. Southgate understandably rates him and a took a gamble that unfortunately didn't pay off. The one on Maguire and to a lesser extent, Henderson did so personally I don't feel the need to criticise. It's frustrating but also just one of them things. 
  • Options

Then blame Southgate for picking him. Rashford is a thoroughly decent human being which leads me to the presumption that he would have wanted to have been at the Euros to represent his county. Southgate understandably rates him and a took a gamble that unfortunately didn't pay off. The one on Maguire and to a lesser extent, Henderson did so personally I don't feel the need to criticise. It's frustrating but also just one of them things. 
    Being a thoroughly decent human being is not what I'm questioning...I love the bloke.
    Just think he has got side tracked and it affected his form. If his shoulder was that bad he wouldn't be in the squad 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    iainment said:
    If that publication were still concerned with journalism even from its affirmed paternalistic right wing standpoint then charity by millionaires and their entrepreneurship would be bang on the agenda
    But that journal is now just a gammon divisive rag peddling the dog whistle bigotry endemic to most of our print media 
    Marcus’s response is classy indeed 
    He can expect more of this bilge unfortunately We should continue to call it out when it floats to the surface and obviously not buy any of these tawdry hate pamphlets 
    "Nobody should read the Spectator because it doesn't agree with me"
  • Options
    It's always a ridiculous argument as no one knows what elite players do in their spare time. If he's just quiet and out of the news but watching something on Netflix is that better than campaigning for kids not to go hungry and making the news? I don't think anyone has ever questioned Rashford's professionalism in training etc, and I'm sure if anyone would, an ex manager like Jose would be sure to do that. 

He's had a drop in form but he's clearly carrying injuries, and he's not the most technically or physically gifted player so if anything he's made it as far as he has because of his hard work. 

Ultimately it's pretty clear that the Spectator are just trying to take down someone who has got people behind a left wing policy, and I'm sure it's going to go as well as Andrew Neil's other new venture is...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If anyone knew what caused loss of form, then players wouldn't go out of form. I don't think you can tie Rashford's downturn to his school meals plight with any degree of seriousness. 
  • Options
    I hope he continues to speak out and challenge the powers that be, he has been very effective so far. I doubt any decline in form is related to his advocacy. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It’s a such tough argument when discussing Rashford ability. Personally, I do not think he has kicked on since he burst on to the scene in 2016. I think England have much better options available to us over Rashford. For example, England have played 18 matches at international tournaments since 2016, which Rashford went as part of the squad. He has started 1 match out of those 18, which was a dead rubber against Belgium in the group stage.

I only ever have this conversation with footballing people as I no most of the responses will be non footballing responses. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    iainment said:
    If that publication were still concerned with journalism even from its affirmed paternalistic right wing standpoint then charity by millionaires and their entrepreneurship would be bang on the agenda
    But that journal is now just a gammon divisive rag peddling the dog whistle bigotry endemic to most of our print media 
    Marcus’s response is classy indeed 
    He can expect more of this bilge unfortunately We should continue to call it out when it floats to the surface and obviously not buy any of these tawdry hate pamphlets 
    "Nobody should read the Spectator because it doesn't agree with me"
    Read it if you like - that's perfectly possible without paying for it - remaining aware what the bigots are saying and how they're saying it is essential in the struggle to resist those views becoming normalised
    The point is to be aware what you're buying and supporting financially
    When media outlets such as this one sound the clarion of hate entrenched divisive propaganda, they will be pilloried for it
    There has to be no room for hate speech of any kind