Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The First Team - BBC2 Thursday 9.30

2»

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:
    just seen the Valley scene. Remember seeing them filming the fan interview outside the ground
    I now remember the filming outside the East Stand Entrance, as a few of us tried to get our faces in to shot. Not sure if these scenes made the cut.
  • Options
    and the first series of Blackadder was perhaps the least funny comedy of all time. Admittedly it improved...  
  • Options
    If you like the idea of a comedy based on a fictional football club but not the execution of this series, I’d highly recommend The Offensive podcast series instead.

Consistently laugh out loud funny, a fair few posters on here that are fellow The Offensive listeners will agree I’m sure.
    Very clever writing.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    My 15 and 11 years old really enjoyed it, think that is the market it is aimed at
    Might well be......but its not Blackadder, Monty Python, Not the Nine o'clock news or any other decent comedy show we watched when we were that age. 
    Not forgetting Terry and June of course!
    Bless this house and Love thy Neighbor

Comedy wasn't all great in the old days
    Better that this crap though!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    My 15 and 11 years old really enjoyed it, think that is the market it is aimed at
    Might well be......but its not Blackadder, Monty Python, Not the Nine o'clock news or any other decent comedy show we watched when we were that age. 
    Nobody says it is comparable to any of those shows. Some people can enjoy something in the moment without the need to compare it to anything 
  • Options
    Currently onto episode 3. Quite enjoying it...
    Now on episode 5. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The chairman, who doesn't understand the club or football, and who has just sacked the manager, said "did you see those customers crying".
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    and the first series of Blackadder was perhaps the least funny comedy of all time. Admittedly it improved...  
    I take serious issue with this. The first series is hugely under appreciated in my view.

It had problems with budgets and locations apparently, but it wasn’t bad. 
    It was innovative too. A sitcom set in the time of Richard III was an original idea in 1982. The writing was actually decent, (if lacking the polish that Ben Elton would bring later), and the mean spirited wit of Edmund was ably demonstrated by Rowan Atkinson even then.
    Brian Blessed was splendid as Richard IV, Edmund, Baldrick and Percy were raw characters whose dynamic would change in future series, but they had an appeal even in the early stages. The queen and Prince Harry were good support too. 
    And then there’s the obligatory scene stealing performance from Rik Mayall as Mad Gerald and some great cameos from Peter Cook, Frank Finlay, Miriam Margolyes and Jim Broadbent amongst others.

Admittedly, it’s not brilliant, but it’s a very long way from being the least funny comedy of all time. And a lot of the brilliance of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th series were born out of it. (Which, to be fair, you did sort of acknowledge!)

There rests the defence 😀 but then again, as we often see, comedy is highly subjective.

It clearly is  -  I really like The First Team.... :)

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2020
    I’ve stuck with it. I think it’s quite funny, lots more cafc scenes, club shop etc, even franky & bennys & the rose of Denmark are used 
  • Options
    I take serious issue with this. The first series is hugely under appreciated in my view.

It was innovative too. A sitcom set in the time of Richard III was an original idea in 1982. The writing was actually decent, (if lacking the polish that Ben Elton would bring later), and the mean spirited wit of Edmund was ably demonstrated by Rowan Atkinson even then.
    Brian Blessed was splendid as Richard IV, Edmund, Baldrick and Percy were raw characters whose dynamic would change in future series, but they had an appeal even in the early stages. The queen and Prince Harry were good support too. 
    And then there’s the obligatory scene stealing performance from Rik Mayall as Mad Gerald and some great cameos from Peter Cook, Frank Finlay, Miriam Margolyes and Jim Broadbent amongst others.

Admittedly, it’s not brilliant, but it’s a very long way from being the least funny comedy of all time. And a lot of the brilliance of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th series were born out of it. (Which, to be fair, you did sort of acknowledge!)

There rests the defence 😀 but then again, as we often see, comedy is highly subjective.

The Infanta and her translator was as funny as anything on TV at the time. Still funny when you watch now.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven’t seen it yet but will give it a go tonight , the writers were on radio 5 yesterday morning talking about it & they admit the first episode is the worst & you don’t fully get it untill you get to know the characters, this can be said for many series’s I have watched, breaking bad is the classic example for me as after the pilot I didn’t watch again for a year then watched again & still thought it was shite then after everyone was going mental about it at work as it came to it’s end I gave it a third try & persevered I was hooked after a few & it became one of my favourite 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Getting into things is quite interesting. When you go to a cinema you are obliged to sometimes force your way through the first half hour of a movie and then you are rewarded with a great movie. At home, your focus is different in many cases. You may be checking your phone or be on your laptop, so your focus is much less. Because you are initially less engaged, you pack it in more readily. 
  • Options
    The inbetweeners character traits are they (obviously) the American Matt is clearly Will, Benji has a bit of Neil & Jay with his stupidity and sex obsessed lifestyle, Jack is weird like Simon 
    Wonder if they chose Charlton as at least one of them are locals (Dartford)?
  • Options
    Getting into things is quite interesting. When you go to a cinema you are obliged to sometimes force your way through the first half hour of a movie and then you are rewarded with a great movie. At home, your focus is different in many cases. You may be checking your phone or be on your laptop, so your focus is much less. Because you are initially less engaged, you pack it in more readily. 
    I’m terrible for that , if the football ,F1,snooker is on tv it’s silence in the room for the duration while I fully immerse in it , yet when mrs spitfire suggests a new box set to try I have one eye on my phone (aka on here) doing some ordering for work sometimes I even slip on my vr headset! then I moan “this new series is crap” , almost did that with her newest one “ white lines’ on Netflix which is a great watch & currently the most watched in the world on Netflix 
  • Options
    Such classic lines as 'Are you staring at my foreskin'. No, don't think I'll be watching it again, no threat to Dad's Army for humour.

• Options
    Just watched it.  Garbage. 
  • Options

The Infanta and her translator was as funny as anything on TV at the time. Still funny when you watch now.  
    Absolutely. The aforementioned Miriam Margolyes and Jim Broadbent. (Whose character was apparently called “Don Speekingleesh”!)
  • Options
    Quite liked it. Even had a white Range Rover 
  • Options
    10 minutes was enough
  • Options
    Not funny whatsoever, mildly entertaining however! 

Some good shots of the valley , and crossbars etc