Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kidbrooke

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Where about's are you looking?
    Trying not to be too specific for a few reasons.cant really afford to be picky, dont know the area very well, also dont want to get set on one particular place as chances are they wont still be on the market in a couple of months when we are actually in a position to put offers down. Our main requirement is to be walking distance to the station (or a station, but we are basing it around Kidbrooke station for now) have looked at a few between the A2 and Rochester way (some nearer Eltham). A couple further south nearer the south circular. Haven't been able to go and have a look round due to lockdown and to be honest we only "discovered" kidbrooke as an option in the last month or so. More after a general feel for the place, connections busyness etc.
     If I were you I would look at some other areas if you want to be close to a station. Have you actually driven round the area as to me there is not much there. To be honest I dont know the area that well ( born & bred in Bexley & went to school in Welling so my area of knowledge is slightly further out). However, I drive that way on the way to The Valley & have clients in Blackheath & the surrounding areas so often take the A20/A2 route and I wouldnt say it would be my first choice of area to live in. 

Problem is the 2 train stations you need to commute into are on 2 different lines. I live in Swanley, which is on the Victoria line, and it's a bugger if you want to get into London Bridge. I'm not sure if there are many areas that would serve both lines. 
  • Options
    @golfaddick the Bexleyheath line (which Kidbrooke is on) has services to both London bridge/Cannon Street/Charing Cross and Victoria 
  • Options
    @golfaddick the Bexleyheath line (which Kidbrooke is on) has services to both London bridge/Cannon Street/Charing Cross and Victoria 
    Does it...?

Ok, my bad.

Still wouldn't live there though. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    It's somewhat difficult to say without being more specific.
    I would say Kidbrooke is a bit of a nowhere place, as suggested by the fact that it has the same post code as Blackheath.
    It doesn't really have any amenities near by, so no shops, pubs, no nothing really.
    Possibly the Kidbrooke and Eltham areas you are looking at are what I might describe as a hint of council type houses.
    Having said that you're not far from Blackheath Village, which is one of the best for pubs & restaurants & Greenwich Park.
    If you PM me the roads I may be able to give you a better steer.
    My first girlfriend lived in Briset Road (who gives a shit). 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Trying not to be too specific for a few reasons.cant really afford to be picky, dont know the area very well, also dont want to get set on one particular place as chances are they wont still be on the market in a couple of months when we are actually in a position to put offers down. Our main requirement is to be walking distance to the station (or a station, but we are basing it around Kidbrooke station for now) have looked at a few between the A2 and Rochester way (some nearer Eltham). A couple further south nearer the south circular. Haven't been able to go and have a look round due to lockdown and to be honest we only "discovered" kidbrooke as an option in the last month or so. More after a general feel for the place, connections busyness etc.
     If I were you I would look at some other areas if you want to be close to a station. Have you actually driven round the area as to me there is not much there. To be honest I dont know the area that well ( born & bred in Bexley & went to school in Welling so my area of knowledge is slightly further out). However, I drive that way on the way to The Valley & have clients in Blackheath & the surrounding areas so often take the A20/A2 route and I wouldnt say it would be my first choice of area to live in. 

Problem is the 2 train stations you need to commute into are on 2 different lines. I live in Swanley, which is on the Victoria line, and it's a bugger if you want to get into London Bridge. I'm not sure if there are many areas that would serve both lines. 
    You're absolutely right about the 2 different lines and it's the main reason we have come across this area. Neither of us want to compromise on commute.

Not much there has come up a few times and is precisely why I started this thread. Useful information thanks. We are planning on visiting the area and viewing one (currently empty) place in the next week or so to get more of a feel for the area. 

We've looked at other areas on and off in the last year, including places like st Mary cray as well as awful options like Bromley and Croydon! 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    If you're proper charlton you've got to get one of these bad boys. Pick up them train numbers without ever having to leave the flat.

But going by the experience of my parents' place, that's similarly close to a different station, you're going to get woken up by the station tannoy if you've got the windows open in the summer.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ditto.
    I lived in Blackheath until age 25 (same post code SE3), so I have a good idea.
    What sort of roads are you looking at ?
    The "new" developments or the older houses? 

Can you remember that far back mate?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

You're absolutely right about the 2 different lines and it's the main reason we have come across this area. Neither of us want to compromise on commute.

Not much there has come up a few times and is precisely why I started this thread. Useful information thanks. We are planning on visiting the area and viewing one (currently empty) place in the next week or so to get more of a feel for the area. 

We've looked at other areas on and off in the last year, including places like st Mary cray as well as awful options like Bromley and Croydon! 
    Bromley wins by a country mile & I'm being serious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Long way off in terms of what you get for your money unfortunately. Prices in bromley are significantly higher (30-40k) for roughly like-for like. Particularly anywhere near a station even a bus ride away.

Higher commute costs although quicker to Victoria for me. 

Not so near family. But yes still looking at Bromley.
  • Options
    What sort of size and what sort of budget are we talking Canters?
  • Options
    I have driven through Kidbrooke on my way to The Valley for 35 years.  The Ferrier was an absolute eye opener for a young lad from Beckenham - for some reason I retained vivid memories of the curtains / cardboard stuck to the windows.  It is certainly a different place now and I have taken my kids to the clip and climb there and the kids play area so they love it.  A gym down the road and train station/main road on your doorstep - what is not to like.

Only thing is, I reckon the housing market will take a pasting if there is a huge recession and massive uptick in unemployment so you may want to hold off more than 2 months. 

Tricky one on timing but I see very little in the way of upwards pressure on the housing market so suspect today's bargain will be cheaper tomorrow at the moment. 

I stuck a speculative offer in on a house near me a week back at 25% less than asking price and whilst it was knocked back they would have been happy to talk at the 10% reduction mark on a house I thought looked reasonably priced/pitched based on what it would have sold for in Jan/Feb.
  • Options
    Come to sunny Sidcup
    Thanks a bundle AFKA. We do have standards to maintain!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Rob7Lee said:

Long way off in terms of what you get for your money unfortunately. Prices in bromley are significantly higher (30-40k) for roughly like-for like. Particularly anywhere near a station even a bus ride away.

Yes you pay more, as it's a better area with far better amenities.
    It has almost everything.
    Pubs, bars, restaurants, shopping centre, new cinemas, bowling alley, theatre, trains to Victoria and LB, close to woods & Chislehurst, Keston etc.

I've never regretted moving to Bromley, even though in laws were trying to get us to move to Welling or Bexleyheath as it was a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    Bromley is the capital of Kent.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Pubs, bars, restaurants, shopping centre, new cinemas, bowling alley, theatre, trains to Victoria and LB, close to woods & Chislehurst, Keston etc.

I've never regretted moving to Bromley, even though in laws were trying to get us to move to Welling or Bexleyheath as it was a bit cheaper.
    Apart from the fact the place is littered with Palarse knobheads
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I’ve always thought it kidbrooke as the middle bit between Lee, Blackheath, Charlton and Eltham with posh bits and shit bits in all of those areas. All perfectly walkable to your more lively places.
    We used to live in Lee which was walking distance to blackheath and lewisham If we wanted more options and plenty of bus routes etc. Kidbrooke is very different to how it used to be as are the people who live there. 

Thinking about other stops on that line, besides eltham what about falcon wood? Further out? Equally not an awful lot there but near eltham etc? 

New eltham also a good option to live as easy to get to surrounding stations (elmstead woods/chis/eltham/new eltham) by tons of buses or walking or cycling . I live on the Sidcup / NE borders and commute on both eltham and new eltham lines depending on delays, timings etc well, I did. Now I just commute from upstairs to downstairs. 
  • Options
    Ultimately, location is just as important as is the house (and which way the garden faces) but you could pick an area and end up in a shit road. You could even pick a good road but with a house up the shit end. I wouldn’t hone in on one specific area that small just yet. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Rob7Lee said:

No doubt, although I've never seen them in over 30 years.
    No one goes round wearing football shirts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Rob7Lee said:

No doubt, although I've never seen them in over 30 years.
    No one goes round wearing football shirts.
    The mannequins in the window of the palace shop in the glades do. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

And theres the rub. Compromise. You usually have to compromise on something when buying a house, sometimes 2 or 3 things. Just watch Location Location for your proof (one episode a few years back they looked at one of the new houses in that development opposite The Ferrier Estate). 

I would certainly give St Mary's Cray a miss. Orpington has a decent high street, amenities & the station has multiple lines. It really does depend on your budget.....and who can compromise more re commuting.
  • Options
    I've lived in Kidbrooke most of my life. Moved to plum stead for 5 years and could not wait to get back. 

Most of Kidbrooke is nice and quiet. The road I live on very rarely has any trouble and most of the neighbours happily stop for a chat. 

As you said it is great for transport links, you've got 2 buses that take you to north greenwich station which run regularly, kidrooke station and the A2 all nice and close. 

Kidbrooke Village for the most part is really nice and they are still building on it and once complete they will be upgrading the station too. 

Not sure what else there is to say really other than I have 3 kids and me and they wife see the area as a great and safe place to bring them up
  • Options
    Anyone local of 20 years + will be prejudiced from their memories.

on the face of it, it looks a completely regenerated area. 2,000 knocked down and 5,000 new homes over a 20 year period. Station close, David Lloyd, smart apartments, great position, new retail etc. Looks ideal for a young couple. 

would do some serious research from those living there whether it’s new look is not just a pretty face. 35% was set out to be affordable housing. 
    My mate has a 1 bed flat in one of the new blocks.The  first time we visited there was puke in the lift and bikes and buggies in the corridors. As mentioned before a lot of it is social housing.
    The flat inside was quite small and suffered from condensation in the bathroom ( no window). 
    If you fancy mottingham i can show you a lovely flat for 300k. No chain and the owner is in no hurry.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

It was the same in 1976 when I got married. Prices decreed that we had to leave the Bromley area and we moved into a small modern house in Abbey Wood. The road abutted the dreaded Thamesmead and this was just four years after the release of A Clockwork Orange.  We were very happy there,  home is what you make it and at the end of the day needs must as the devil drives.

... Sorry for the back to back hackneyed expressions above, they just seemed appropriate.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Curb_It said:
    I don’t know from accommodation perspective or where you are looking but I would choose Kidbrooke over most of the places suggested on here. Being so close to Blackheath would be a big selling point for any younger person. You would most likely get off the train at Blackheath on the way home from work to go to one of the many pubs or restaurants that it has.  As mentioned it does have its own new smart new pub/restaurant. The Homebase has been turned in to an Aldi also.  Got a David Lloyd and it’s own train station on your doorstep.  And as mentioned easy to go see parents and not far from The Valley. 

It’s a good idea. 

He’s a first time buyer. It’ll be the street gym in Sutcliffe park and the drive through Mcdonalds.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Oi! 😁

You wait till you have kids and you'll be begging to get them into a Bromley school.