Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SpaceX satellite train

edited April 2020 in Not Sports Related
Anyone see Elon musks satellites last night? They are passing overhead (uk) again this evening just before 10pm

https://findstarlink.com/#51.9796,North,0.2238,West;3

Comments

• Options
    Glad we've got some proper Astro geeks on here :)

Lets hope the sky is clear.  It was perfect conditions last night.
  • Options
    When there are thousands of these satellites, will it not clog up the sky and ruin a view of the stars etc?
  • Options
    When there are thousands of these satellites, will it not clog up the sky and ruin a view of the stars etc?
    It's buggering things up already.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2019/11/18/this-is-not-coolastronomers-despair-as-spacex-starlink-train-ruins-observation-of-nearby-galaxies/
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    It's buggering things up already.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2019/11/18/this-is-not-coolastronomers-despair-as-spacex-starlink-train-ruins-observation-of-nearby-galaxies/
    Cheers - times that by 100....
  • Options
    Southeastern were due to trial some but take off has been delayed due to signal failure at Lewisham.
    They need to increase season ticket prices
  • Options
    10 minute warning
  • Options
    Did anyone see it?? 
    Think I’ve been whooshed :lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    couldn't see a thing
  • Options
    I stood outside for 15 minutes and didn't see anything.
  • Options
    Saw about 6, 7 satellites, but not in the line I was expecting
  • Options
    They were really tiny, albeit I'm in central London. Wouldn't call it a chain. Saw about 4 about 5 mins apart
  • Options
    I saw one constant light moving across the sky, that was it.
  • Options
    That was cool. Used the website above and it helped me locate it. Venus looks pretty amazing tonight
  • Options
    Saw 6 or 7 across the top of us up here in the Fens. I trouble with the wife though as I dragged her out and she trod in our dogs shit in her slippers. They were smaller than I was expecting and as said before not all in a straight line.
  • Options
    Was out there from 9:30.  Eyes adjusted to the light, camera set up, app on phone.  Knew exactly where they were coming from, at what angle, camera set.

10.01.  Nothing.  Didnt see a thing.  About 10.06 saw 2.  Then a couple after that then that was it.  Just came in about 10.25.

Having seen the train before, I knew exactly what I was looking for so I'm a bit miffed with that tbh.

Alarm set for 3:30am to attempt to shoot the Milky Way Core.
  • Options
    Saw a few, but not as good as last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think I saw one.

Might have been a plane.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Was out there from 9:30.  Eyes adjusted to the light, camera set up, app on phone.  Knew exactly where they were coming from, at what angle, camera set.

10.01.  Nothing.  Didnt see a thing.  About 10.06 saw 2.  Then a couple after that then that was it.  Just came in about 10.25.

Having seen the train before, I knew exactly what I was looking for so I'm a bit miffed with that tbh.

Looking forward to seeing the results.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Sadly too much cloud.  Was out there for an hour.  Back to bed now!
  • Options
    i managed to spot one last night just after 10 travelling west to east starting not far from Venus. Apparently tonight there's a good chance again around 9pm.
  • Options
    Just saw some of them but they were further apart than I expected.
  • Options
    They were going for about 20 mins. Can understand why stargazers will be pissed off but still think it's pretty amazing to see something man made going across the sky like that
  • Options
    Very impressive tonight, got my eldest out and even she managed to watch it before chatting to her mates next door
  • Options
    Saw quite a few tonight as they went overhead.
    It's the peak of a meteor shower too later
  • Options
    Any idea what time?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Any idea what time?
    Peak tonight, best time between midnight and 4am I think. New moon phase too so sky even darker, for better viewing