Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Other Public Workers at Risk .. Not Just the NHS

2»

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:
    seth plum said:
    It is now the Easter holidays, but teachers who have remained working for certain groups of children deserve a bit of credit.
    Not to mention that the schools were left open too long in the first place. Over 60 staff at my school had symptoms by the end of the first week of the closure. 
    Fucking hell, really? that puts to bed that myth that the Schools should have stayed open then!
  • Options
    Royal mail workers are at risk.
    My other half is a postie.
    She says when out delivering she has a bit of control and the public are gradually coming to terms with the measures they are taking ie no PDAs, knocking and standing back with parcels etc (busier than any day over Xmas period for parcels).
    It’s the 3 hours or so sorting and prepping inside that is stressing her out. There is an ingrained job n knock rushed mentality within Royal Mail and the social distancing is just not being adhered to by some of her colleagues. She’s repeatedly spoke to managers but though they’ve had briefings and taken some measures they aren’t doing enough to enforce it. You’ve got around 60 people just rushing round an office and controlling them is like herding cats.

• Options
    I’m in grateful awe of all of those workers who are just getting on with it. As you would expect doctors and nurses get most of the plaudits but there are just so many people who deserve our eternal gratitude. 
    Cheers Shooters...

;-) 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Thought all buses had screens for the drivers? If they're no good then why are similar screens being put up in the supermarkets? 
    Think they may have been removed since the buses went cashless.
    Ha, if you’d have got the bus last paddy’s day instead of sponging a lift you’d know they have screens with holes in. 

Most buses have middle doors. Just make them free and middle door entry. And only end shifts at one terminus allowing thorough cleaning of cab between switchover? 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Thought all buses had screens for the drivers? If they're no good then why are similar screens being put up in the supermarkets? 
    Ha, if you’d have got the bus last paddy’s day instead of sponging a lift you’d know they have screens with holes in. 

Most buses have middle doors. Just make them free and middle door entry. And only end shifts at one terminus allowing thorough cleaning of cab between switchover? 
    This is exactly why people like @suzisausage should be running the country. #VoteSuzi 
  • Options
    Bin men are some of my unsung heroes of the hour. Haven’t seen any of them wearing anything protective apart from the big ol smelly gloves. Legends getting on with their job with the minimum of fuss.
    Spot on - Gave one of them a Fiver - other neighbours gave beers and Easter eggs.
  • Options
    The way Truckers are being treated is little short of a national disgrace.When they arrive at DCs they are denied use of both toilets and hand washing facilities. The Services on motorways have closed shower and toilets.
    can't even get a sandwich or a cooked meal, but because most are working class men they are treated like sh!t.

• Options
    all of these posts and comments bring to life just how many people working in 'ordinary' jobs are too often just taken for granted .. bus driver/cleaners, shelf stackers, binmen, posties, supermarket cashiers, delivery drivers, food processors ..  the list is long and life for us in shutdown would be a lot grimmer without them .. let's hope that when this is all over, we will all be a lot more humble and grateful towards one another and aware of how many people have contributed to our comfort and keeping our various situations as 'normal' as possible .. 
    I'm waiting to back to work and find the individuals I work with complaining they're 20% down on their wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    It is now the Easter holidays, but teachers who have remained working for certain groups of children deserve a bit of credit.
    Many schools are continuing to provide childcare for children of key workers throughout the Easter holidays.
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    seth plum said:
    Many schools are continuing to provide childcare for children of key workers throughout the Easter holidays.
    Not just key workers kids. A lot of kids that are listed as vulnerable due to their home/family situation are cared for too.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Not sure how I can sponge a lift, if I was driving. 😂
  • Options
    Those of us in the veterinary world get little to no mention and despite what Joe public thinks, the vast majority do not earn a fortune.  At the end of the day most of us are in the profession to provide animal care and improve animal welfare standards, being praised or clapped for is the least of our worries (going by posts on a number of veterinary professional fb/insta pages only though). What annoys me is that the government initially did not put veterinary professionals on their list for key workers. As a country that has one of the best pieces of legislation for animal welfare it baffles me we were overlooked.

I won't say which one, but I work for a nation wide corporate veterinary company and we have seen roughly 25% of the entire workforce furloughed which, even in the event of only operating on the basis we see urgent/emergency appointments; can have a huge effect on the workload, stress and mental well-being of those that are still in work. 
    Worse than not being on a list of essential workers though, is that too many people just ignore the fact we are human beings as well. The number of complaints we have had from people ranging from "stop being selfish and share your PPE with the public/NHS" to "how can you refuse me an appointment for me to bring my 3 dogs and 5 family members for a general health check". A colleague of mine who is a care assistant was also told by a client yesterday to go f**k herself for not allowing him into the building. 

I do feel fortunate that I am in a position where I am working and have an income as I cannot imagine how difficult it is for those who are self-employed or have been made redundant; yet, I have a 60+ diabetic mother at home and I am the one risking both of us to ensure my veterinary practice can remain open. Least the public could do would be to be a bit more appreciative.

Our vet (Shrubbery vets) has been brilliant. She's fully kitted out all the staff in PPE with visors and masks. When you arrive you phoneand she collects the animal from your car, or just outside the entrance where there is plenty of space to distance. I've been twice with a couple of chooks since the lockdown. Amazing people, never say 'it's just a hen' as others have.