Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other Public Workers at Risk .. Not Just the NHS

Is enough being done to protect bus drivers and other transport workers at risk from the virus ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52212143

Comments

• In a word.......no
  • Shocking, sure TFL will now do what they can but passengers need to play their part too and steer clear of drivers and each other.
    Too many people ignoring advice, e.g. go to Sainsbury's and most people inside make no effort to keep a distance from each other.
  • The bus driver one is shocking and had a pretty simple solution for buses with a front and middle entrance.

Isolate the front doors so passengers can only enter through the middle. Then Corden off an area at the front of the bus two metres from  the driver.

There is always the possibility that one driver can pass it onto the next driver so not sure what there hygiene practise is between shifts. IE cleaning the cab?
  • They'd also need to refit the buses so the Oyster card readers were by the back doors, otherwise you'd have to breach the 2m cordon to tap your card. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility, as you could do that on the bendy buses, and I think the Boris buses, but I suspect they'd need to invest in new kit to make it widespread. But then you also have the problem of maintaining social distancing between the people getting off the bus and those waiting to get on. It's tricky.
  • edited April 2020
    Those of us in the veterinary world get little to no mention and despite what Joe public thinks, the vast majority do not earn a fortune.  At the end of the day most of us are in the profession to provide animal care and improve animal welfare standards, being praised or clapped for is the least of our worries (going by posts on a number of veterinary professional fb/insta pages only though). What annoys me is that the government initially did not put veterinary professionals on their list for key workers. As a country that has one of the best pieces of legislation for animal welfare it baffles me we were overlooked.

I won't say which one, but I work for a nation wide corporate veterinary company and we have seen roughly 25% of the entire workforce furloughed which, even in the event of only operating on the basis we see urgent/emergency appointments; can have a huge effect on the workload, stress and mental well-being of those that are still in work. 
    Worse than not being on a list of essential workers though, is that too many people just ignore the fact we are human beings as well. The number of complaints we have had from people ranging from "stop being selfish and share your PPE with the public/NHS" to "how can you refuse me an appointment for me to bring my 3 dogs and 5 family members for a general health check". A colleague of mine who is a care assistant was also told by a client yesterday to go f**k herself for not allowing him into the building. 

I do feel fortunate that I am in a position where I am working and have an income as I cannot imagine how difficult it is for those who are self-employed or have been made redundant; yet, I have a 60+ diabetic mother at home and I am the one risking both of us to ensure my veterinary practice can remain open. Least the public could do would be to be a bit more appreciative.

Having an elderly poorly dog just as we were going in to lockdown this really gave us a panic because we didn’t know if vets would stay open during a lockdown. Unknown territory for all of us. We were very relieved that they were still open so we could take him to be put at peace when he failed very badly. We were very grateful for all the staff at the Barrier Vet in Charlton to be open for us. 

This was the 23rd so they were just about open but minimal staff. Definitely an important service and horrible that staff are being abused. 

Best of luck to you. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Those of us in the veterinary world get little to no mention and despite what Joe public thinks, the vast majority do not earn a fortune.  At the end of the day most of us are in the profession to provide animal care and improve animal welfare standards, being praised or clapped for is the least of our worries (going by posts on a number of veterinary professional fb/insta pages only though). What annoys me is that the government initially did not put veterinary professionals on their list for key workers. As a country that has one of the best pieces of legislation for animal welfare it baffles me we were overlooked.

I won't say which one, but I work for a nation wide corporate veterinary company and we have seen roughly 25% of the entire workforce furloughed which, even in the event of only operating on the basis we see urgent/emergency appointments; can have a huge effect on the workload, stress and mental well-being of those that are still in work. 
    Worse than not being on a list of essential workers though, is that too many people just ignore the fact we are human beings as well. The number of complaints we have had from people ranging from "stop being selfish and share your PPE with the public/NHS" to "how can you refuse me an appointment for me to bring my 3 dogs and 5 family members for a general health check". A colleague of mine who is a care assistant was also told by a client yesterday to go f**k herself for not allowing him into the building. 

I do feel fortunate that I am in a position where I am working and have an income as I cannot imagine how difficult it is for those who are self-employed or have been made redundant; yet, I have a 60+ diabetic mother at home and I am the one risking both of us to ensure my veterinary practice can remain open. Least the public could do would be to be a bit more appreciative.

Having an elderly poorly dog just as we were going in to lockdown this really gave us a panic because we didn’t know if vets would stay open during a lockdown. Unknown territory for all of us. We were very relieved that they were still open so we could take him to be put at peace when he failed very badly. We were very grateful for all the staff at the Barrier Vet in Charlton to be open for us. 

This was the 23rd so they were just about open but minimal staff. Definitely an important service and horrible that staff are being abused. 

Best of luck to you. 
    We have been using the Barrier vets as well. Great service considering the days we’re in and a lifeline for 2 of our cats who’re on lifetime meds.

Agree that any essential service provider being abused is just unacceptable. Some people are just so stupid and arrogant.
  • Sponsored links:

• No, it’s not.
  • se9addick said:
    No, it’s not.
    What is not?
  • Thought all buses had screens for the drivers? If they're no good then why are similar screens being put up in the supermarkets? 
  • It’s not the screen it’s the changing drivers and not cleaning the cab 
  • Care workers in the community and in care homes are having a real hard time - hearing some of their stories is heartbreaking.

The bus drivers employed by TFL have been badly let down.
  • Bin men are some of my unsung heroes of the hour. Haven’t seen any of them wearing anything protective apart from the big ol smelly gloves. Legends getting on with their job with the minimum of fuss.
    Let's hope they don't catch it.
  • Royal mail workers are at risk.
  • I am still going to work being plumbing and heating we are classed as key workers, I wear ppe at all times and use trains and minimal tube.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am still going to work being plumbing and heating we are classed as key workers, I wear ppe at all times and use trains and minimal tube.
    Hope you keep healthy.
  • My vet has been very helpful - I had a telephone consultation, they sent meds through the post for #2 dog, and talked through what would happen if #1 dog's health got worse, and the end had to happen whilst we were in lockdown, given that the dog can barely walk and I don't drive, so would require a home visit.  Hopefully, she still has a few more months, but it is reassuring to know that if that's not the case, they can look after her, whilst keeping themselves and me safe.
  • iaitch said:
    Thought all buses had screens for the drivers? If they're no good then why are similar screens being put up in the supermarkets? 
    Think they may have been removed since the buses went cashless.
  • iainment said:
    se9addick said:
    No, it’s not.
    What is not?
    “ Is enough being done to protect bus drivers and other transport workers at risk from the virus ?
  • iaitch said:
    Thought all buses had screens for the drivers? If they're no good then why are similar screens being put up in the supermarkets? 
    So they were installed to protect cash not the driver then?
  • edited April 2020
    iaitch said:
    No, they are still there but have holes in for the driver to hear the abuse.
  • seth plum said:
    It is now the Easter holidays, but teachers who have remained working for certain groups of children deserve a bit of credit.
    Not to mention that the schools were left open too long in the first place. Over 60 staff at my school had symptoms by the end of the first week of the closure.