Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garages/MOTs

If your MOT expires in the near future it might be a struggle to get your MOT done as a lot of garages/test centres will be closing. 

HGV testing has been suspended so hopefully this will follow suit for private vehicles.

Comments

• Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

(Mine's a 2005 diesel with 190,000 on the clock, so bringing it back to manufacturers limit might be tricky though I am putting diesel cleaner through, and have changed oil, oil filter and air filter.)

• IdleHans said:
    Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

(Mine's a 2005 diesel with 190,000 on the clock, so bringing it back to manufacturers limit might be tricky though I am putting diesel cleaner through, and have changed oil, oil filter and air filter.)

Check they're using the right limit for a diesel made in 2005 - I was failed before by a tester who was using the wrong emission level. 
  • IdleHans said:
    Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

Might be worth getting some cataclean.
  • Mots extended for 6 months.
  • Logical and sensible
  • Great, had to get mine just over a week ago and now will likely not use the car much for some time! Good for others though. 
  • Talal said:
    Great, had to get mine just over a week ago and now will likely not use the car much for some time! Good for others though. 
    Mine runs out in April so I'm in luck. 
  • Mine runs out in June, but who knows if things will be back to normal by then...
  • IdleHans said:

Might be worth getting some cataclean.
    Thanks for this. Put some in last night on way back from Manchester, will submit for retest tomorrow. Mine runs out tomorrow, so I just miss the extension.