Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garages/MOTs

If your MOT expires in the near future it might be a struggle to get your MOT done as a lot of garages/test centres will be closing. 

HGV testing has been suspended so hopefully this will follow suit for private vehicles.

Comments

• Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

(Mine's a 2005 diesel with 190,000 on the clock, so bringing it back to manufacturers limit might be tricky though I am putting diesel cleaner through, and have changed oil, oil filter and air filter.)

• IdleHans said:
    Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

(Mine's a 2005 diesel with 190,000 on the clock, so bringing it back to manufacturers limit might be tricky though I am putting diesel cleaner through, and have changed oil, oil filter and air filter.)

Check they're using the right limit for a diesel made in 2005 - I was failed before by a tester who was using the wrong emission level. 
  • IdleHans said:
    Mine's just failed, purely on emissions. They've changed the rules again this year - it would have passed easily under last year's criteria, but is a bit over this time. I need to check this properly, but if your car has a sticker showing the emissions level, thats the benchmark to which they test. Mine is 1.27, test result 1.67. Previous limit was 3.0. Because the tester found the sticker, he had to use it. The way he explained it to me, if there had been no sticker, the 3.0 would have been the limit. He may have been suggesting that judicious removal of the sticker would facilitate a pass, but I'm not sure.

Might be worth getting some cataclean.
  • Mots extended for 6 months.
  • Logical and sensible
  • Great, had to get mine just over a week ago and now will likely not use the car much for some time! Good for others though. 
  • Talal said:
    Great, had to get mine just over a week ago and now will likely not use the car much for some time! Good for others though. 
    Mine runs out in April so I'm in luck. 
  • Mine runs out in June, but who knows if things will be back to normal by then...
  • IdleHans said:

Might be worth getting some cataclean.
    Thanks for this. Put some in last night on way back from Manchester, will submit for retest tomorrow. Mine runs out tomorrow, so I just miss the extension. 
  • IdleHans said:

Car just returned to me by another garage, complete with shiny new MoT certificate. One of the many advisories is "Emissions sticker not found". No, well, he didn't look in my jeans pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Big nail hanging out of one of our rear tyres, so wife of to  kwik fit (I'm shut in) ,going to change tyre and all the necessary and then send an invoice, with out her leaving the car.
  • Big nail hanging out of one of our rear tyres, so wife of to  kwik fit (I'm shut in) ,going to change tyre and all the necessary and then send an invoice, with out her leaving the car.
    Kwik Fit also do a home service, that might have been easier
  • She did speak to them before hand and they said this was the best, thanks for your reply. 
  • edited June 2020
    Anyone know the answer to this question below..Have been hanging on phone to dvsa for an age and the online guidance does not cover it;

Mot due on 1st July but with the coronovirus extension that will become 1st Jan 2021. So is the next renewal date 1st July 2021 or 1st Jan 2022? (Potentially significant because a 6 month extension is good value for me if the renewal date is then Jan 2022. There is nothing materially wrong with the car and I will likely service it as normal).

Thanks in advance.
  • Am sure I heard a while back when they first extended that the new due date will be a year from the date you had the actual mot in order to maintain the integrity of the mot so Jan 2022
  • edited June 2020
    I just checked my MOT details on DVSA website and it has the MOT expiring on 14 July 2020, which is the date on my MOT certificate. I assume that the 6 month extension doesn't apply now.
  • They only update the new date 7 days before the due date of the MOT, so if the goverment do not change the requirements then you should see the extension on the DVLA site on 7th July.  
  • Dansk_Red said:
    They only update the new date 7 days before the due date of the MOT, so if the goverment do not change the requirements then you should see the extension on the DVLA site on 7th July.  
    I have the same issue with my car tax, which I can't renew (it expires at the end of the month) until they've rolled over my MOT!

Personally I'd be happy to get it done asap, rather than the full 6 months of MOT grace, as it's an old car so I want the confidence that it's still roadworthy. And the aircon needs pumping up too, which is getting annoying now!
  • Mine was due 25 May and now due 25 nov 
  • Same here -Mine was due in May and extended to November a few days before it was due.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Mine was due 25 May and now due 25 nov 
    MrOneLung said:
    Am sure I heard a while back when they first extended that the new due date will be a year from the date you had the actual mot in order to maintain the integrity of the mot so Jan 2022
    Thanks @MrOneLung.

We have a situation where a certain garage is telling us information that contradicts the current guidance at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020#what-you-need-to-do

I think the garage is mistaken or trying it on telling us the grace period is over already and the mot will only be backdated to the first due renewal date. That is clearly wrong. Also I would not expect to have to get another mot just 6 months after the rescheduled mot.

Anyway, DVSA did not answer the phone earlier and I have a few days yet to get a definitive answer.
  • muppetman said:
    Comedy gold from the DVSA:

"Your MOT extension will no longer apply if you take your vehicle for its MOT and it fails."

Who in their right mind will get an MOT when they don't need to.  Get it serviced, yes, but pay to be told you can't use it when you don't need to?
  • Someone who’s selling their car and wants it to have a year’s MOT.
  • Dvsa have just confirmed to me verbally that the new test date does indeed last for a year, (so the grace period does constitutes a freebie for the motorist), but she stressed the policy is under weekly review so everyone should check their MOT extension has been applied via the .gov website to ensure they have been included should they wish to take advantage. 
  • muppetman said:

"Your MOT extension will no longer apply if you take your vehicle for its MOT and it fails."

Who in their right mind will get an MOT when they don't need to.  Get it serviced, yes, but pay to be told you can't use it when you don't need to?

The MOT tests the critical safety aspects of cars. Whilst rust isn't really an issue with modern cars, things like brakes, steering & fuel systems can all suffer problems that could prove dangerous. I'd want to know if my car was safe to drive or not.
  • Dvsa have just confirmed to me verbally that the new test date does indeed last for a year, (so the grace period does constitutes a freebie for the motorist), but she stressed the policy is under weekly review so everyone should check their MOT extension has been applied via the .gov website to ensure they have been included should they wish to take advantage. 
    It's a shame they don't give more than a week's notice.  The garage we use is one man on his own and gets booked up very quickly. If the MOT date changes only one week before the original due date, but the Government suddenly changes the rules, we might not be able to get booked in.
  • muppetman said:

The MOT tests the critical safety aspects of cars. Whilst rust isn't really an issue with modern cars, things like brakes, steering & fuel systems can all suffer problems that could prove dangerous. I'd want to know if my car was safe to drive or not.
    Yes, in a funny way I'd like to have an unofficial MOT on my car!
  • Was supposed to have a theory test on 6th June at Sidcup, but been postponed to 6th July now.

Bit pointless really as practical tests have also been stopped for now. But I did read that if your theory test expires during the times practical tests aren't running then you have to take the theory again. Thought that was a bit harsh tbh, don't see why it can't be extended.

• muppetman said:

Why not just ask a garage to check it over without it actually being an mot submission? If there's anything dangerous that needs doing, you can still drive the car pending having that fixed, but at least you wont be off the road. MoT seems to be more about emissions nowadays than safety anyway.