Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Haven't heard anyone say that we are missing Naby Sarr but he is our our only source of salvation. That and a boot up the backside for the team. The ref gave us nothing except three yellow cards for infringements that he allowed Borough to get away with more than once.  Dillon didnt learn that we had to play out from the back and continued to punt long balls at Taylor that their defence won. As for their goal, the least said the better

We were getting nowhere playing out from the back. You just had to watch how their players pressed our defenders whenever they were in possession, forcing errors. Naby and Matthews are comfortable on the ball, the rest of our defenders aren't. More often than not when Phillips did play it short, it ended up back witth him and what did he do? Punt it long. It worked early season but we were found out long ago.
    It’s been like it for weeks. Teams have sussed that’s it’s a huge flaw in the team. It’s why I think Aneke should be on the bench, he at least offers some physical bulk we can stick on to try and mix it up if we’ve been forced to go very direct, like today. 
  • Options
    Thought Boro played well, I must say.
    Didn't think they were great, no. 5 was quality
  • Options
    Borough not a great side you can see why they are struggling, which says how poor we are. That performance nearly as bad ad the away leg.
  • Options
    It's up to the players to show they are up for the fight. 
  • Options
    On reflection, great shithousery from Boro with the ad hoc ‘drinks break’ to waste time at their FK.  Was quite funny watching the ref go bat-shit crazy trying to get them back on the pitch.  Really should have got the card out, but nice idea from Boro
  • Options
    Not happy Bowyer doesn’t seem animated. Just stood there. 
  • Options
    Seem to be making a habit of shooting ourselves in the foot in recent weeks, today’s game again decided by a stupid mistake from us as opposed to us being blown out the water by the other team. I still think we’ve got enough to get us out of this mess but bowyer is right in that we can’t keep gifting goals away like we are at the moment otherwise we will be ending up in League one next season.

Can’t say I’m surprised at the few calling for LB’s head as always seems to be a minority of people who want the manager out as soon as results start going against us, but would love to know who those people feel could do better than LB with this group of players. It was apparent to everyone what we needed in January to get us over the line and for whatever reason it wasn’t delivered and we are seeing the consequences now. No disrespect to the players bought in but would any of them get in another championship squad? Two of them couldn’t get in the championship squads they started the season with (QPR and Preston) so didn’t seem like inspired business at the time, and definitely doesn’t now. 

Hull are fairly local to me and are in absolute freefall at the moment, so next week is a massive game. Be really concerned if we end up losing that one but let’s just hope dropping into the relegation zone gives us the shot in the arm we need to start putting some proper performances in. Season still not over yet.

Nice post Notts Addick 
  • Options
    Their no5, Shotton I think, was playing very very well in the middle of their 3 and shut down a lot of potential forward action. 

Much better when Bonne came on and he had more than just Taylor to think about. 

Jonny Williams looked a bit subdued so far out of the left of midfield. 

We didn’t exactly boss them all game but had about 10 minutes in the first half and 15 in the second half where we looked properly on top. Otherwise they looked big, fairly organised and quite skilful. We looked small, not very organised and our normal skill on the call deserted us, a bit like that game of pool where you don’t take the confidence shots on and miss the easy ones. Hopefully the next game we come out firing and it slots into place. Needs to really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Boro could shoot, it would have been embarassing. We had a bit of a flurry second half when we went long, but it doesn't look good at all. Williams had a bad day, and we desperately miss Gallagher, hence very little creativity on show. No goals in three games against struggling teams tells its own tale really.
    If we would shoot ..... we might have given ourselves some chance of a result.

As you say, "No goals in three games against struggling teams tells its own tale really.".
    It does.

#backtoBasics.

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    It's up to the players to show they are up for the fight. 
    I am sure they are all up for the fight and will do their absolute best. The problem is ,other than two or three players, none of them are capable of playing at this level. No amount of coaching will make Jason Pearce and Ben Purrington anything other than League1 average players.
  • Options
    Don't watch it.

The goal we contrived to put on a plate for them is just too ....... just don't watch it.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Don't watch it.

The goal we contrived to put on a plate for them is just too ....... just don't watch it.

I just had to, it was either that or beat my testicles wafer thin with a steak mallet...  I made the wrong choice!

Made 42 seconds, anyone do any better? 
  • Options
    Bowyer and ESI 
    must have a game plan ?
    otherwise we are all fucked 😂👎👎
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Don't watch it.

that's the second one in consecutive games .. play it out from the back ? .. I'd far sooner the ball was lumped 60 yards upfield when that is what is required, Man Citee or Barcelona we ain't
  • Options
    I don't really buy this. Same thing was levelled at Powell. Not sure it's Bowyer's body language that's his problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    I don't really buy this. Same thing was levelled at Powell. Not sure it's Bowyer's body language that's his problem. 
    It's the results that are the problem

Otherwise if we were picking up points, nobody would give a toss about how we were playing or even Bowyer's body language.

• Options
    philcafc said:
    Got it all to do to stay up now. Thought Boro played some decent stuff considering where they are. They seem far more assured than us, didn't give the ball away and always seemed to have a man spare. After a poor first half, we huffed and puffed a bit 2nd half and created a chance or two but you can't really say we deserved a draw. At least the other results went our way, but we probably still need 3 more wins to be safe, and it's difficult to see where they are coming from. Let's just hope we can turn it round, but it's not looking good. 
    Are you levitating in your avatar picture?
  • Options
    I think having Bonne, Talylor and Green all on the pitch at the same time looks good. 

Hemed on the bench isn’t an impact sub more a cover for injury

As I’d like to have 2 up front, I’d have to ask Green to play a bit deeper which needs a decent right back behind him, that pushes us to a 4 at the back.

the problem then is any serious width. Green can play ok at right mf, better more centrally. Williams can play ok as left mf but better centrally. 

Doughty and Lapslie can play better wider but are a bit young and can’t know enough yet to judge when to push and when to track back.

We don’t have a fully balanced side of proven championship level players and that may be the reason we go down.

aOr we chance it with a high press game with the youngsters from the start and then bring the older kegs on later. 

I’d roll the dice and give that a go. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This thread often goes into meltdown after a defeat.
    Well today that's fully justified. 
    I've been supporting this club since the 60s and  I know what a relegation side loos like. 

We have absolutely no chance of staying up. 
    Fuckin rubbish. 
    It's not totally justified. We've played better today than the last two and were undone by a mistake. Again.

The players need to start shouldering the blame, as does Bowyer.

Deserved a draw but got nothing. Still don't believe we're down, but if we don't pick up 4 more wins we will be gone

If you honestly believe we deserved a draw I honestly don't know what to say to you.
    Sorry that should have said, could probably have nabbed a draw.

Deserved is wrong, only teams that deserve draws are those that score the same amount as opponents.
  • Options
    I know of one person who isnt getting a shred of the blame this evening yet fully deserves it!!

@Cantersaddick... didnt take his missus to the game and instead took someone who has an awful record of attending games at the Valley this season

Notice too he's kept very quiet tonight!! ;)
    Predicted Lapslie MOTM before the game too. Bad, bad juju
  • Options
    What a waste of time it all is. We were done for in the transfer window and thats when it became clear that this bunch are up there with the Spivs, Roland and Sunley as rubbish owners. Was Mouthall there today?
    Mouthall->allMouth lols
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I'm going to go with positives I genuinely saw, especially after hearing my dad moan non stop and demand Bowyer is sacked...

1. Thought Cullen finally looked fit today and played his best since injury 
    2. Taylor and Bonne do appear to have an understanding so I think 2 up top with hemed as back up is the way yo go.
    3. Best two centre backs return next week for Hull.
    4. Still 20% of the season to go, the first 20% was excellent!
    5. Spring is coming and we always play better in the sun!

That will do, I'm feeling positively chipper now!
    That's a great effort. Well done for having a go. 
    6. Hull are having a nightmare run of form - but it has to end sometime. Who are they playing next week? Oh f**k!