Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What will ESI do if we're relegated?

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    I believe they will stay, invest, grow the Academy, and develop a new squad. 

But this is Charlton so who the hell knows. 
    Of course I should have added, we are not getting relegated so these points are superfluous. 
  • Options
    Everything went wrong when agents came in, yes you Southall!!, hiked the wages up of average players and with the compliance of weak and dopey club owners, crippled clubs like ours. No-mark clubs then looked at the promised land of the premier league and wanted a slice which is financed by Sky who will probably go bust soon as sat tv is finished. So now we have chancers like Southall buying clubs for a quid to take a punt, backed up by semi-rich foreigners who have also taken a punt. Six months  on and they are gone because they will lose interest. Just a rant pay no attention.
  • Options
    I thought an agreement existed to buy the valley, training ground etc within 6 months.
    My guess is that Southall was going to use that time to obtain the investment from outside parties.
    So it would seem if we are relegated the  options would be:
    1, Complete the purchase with any remaining investors and tahnoon picks up the rest. Or
    2, Write off current expenditure and walk away.
    It really all depends on what is in the contract and without seeing that it is all supposition.

• Options
    Didn’t Matt Southall say they’ve got plans for both outcomes, or have I made that up? 
    Yes he did.
  • Options
    well if ESI don’t buy the ground and Sparrows soon they won’t shift many season tickets.

IMHO this will be the only thing they can do to show they are not a load of bullshiters.
    100%, this was one of my answers in the Trust survey.  
  • Options
    There's unlimited supply
    And there is no reason why
    I tell you it was all a frame
    They only did it 'cos of fame
    Who?
    E.S.I. E.S.I.
    Too many people had the suss
    Too many people support us
    Un unlimited amount
    Too many outlets in and out
    Who?
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    And sir and friends are crucified
    A day they wished that we had died
    We are an addition
    We are ruled by none
    Never ever never
    And you thought that we were faking
    That we were all just money making
    You do not believe we're for real
    Or you would lose your cheap appeal?
    Don't judge a book just by the cover
    Unless you cover just another
    And blind acceptance is a sign
    Of stupid fools who stand in line
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    well it's better than Dylan's latest oeuvre (almost) ((:>)
  • Options
    There's unlimited supply
    Who?
    E.S.I. E.S.I.
    Un unlimited amount
    Who?
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    We are an addition
    We are ruled by none
    Never ever never
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    Love it ... pity Lydon is Arsenal, we could have asked him to re-record it  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1) We won't go down I'm still sure of it. 
    2) IF we did then I reckon they will still have the full backing of Bowyer, Jacko and Co and spend some money and we will storm back as champions but that won't be happening because number 1 ^^ is 👍
    But do they have any money ? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    There's unlimited supply
    Who?
    E.S.I. E.S.I.
    Un unlimited amount
    Who?
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    We are an addition
    We are ruled by none
    Never ever never
    E.S.I E.S.I E.S.I
    Gooooodbye Rowwwwland.... (blows Raspberry)
  • Options
    Well IMO it’s looking ever more like not only was the grass no greener on the other side....

But ESI took Rolands dead grass and just tried relaying it
  • Options
    FFS.
    If ESI walk there would be plenty of buyers willing to take Charlton on for £1.
    It isn't £1. It is £50 million a year or whatever the running costs are.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see (if we ever do) what the terms of this “contractual obligation” to acquire the stadium and training ground freehold are. What are the consequences if ESI decide they don’t want to throw money at a League One team because Southall promised his investors the Premier League was within reach?  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Peoples imaginations do tend to run wild on all this - we all expected a bit more in the January window but how we’ve gone from that to assuming they will be off if we are relegated, I’m not quite sure 
    I disagree with a lot of what you post, nothing personal against you, it’s just that we have differing opinions and views. But.....100% in agreement with this.
  • Options
    Didn’t Matt Southall say they’ve got plans for both outcomes, or have I made that up? 
    Didn't Southall say we had bought The Valley and Sparrows Lane?
    Anybody know if this is still knocking about?...

Lol
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    se9addick said:
    It will be interesting to see (if we ever do) what the terms of this “contractual obligation” to acquire the stadium and training ground freehold are. What are the consequences if ESI decide they don’t want to throw money at a League One team because Southall promised his investors the Premier League was within reach?  
    I would expect there to be a "get out" clause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are willing to loosen the purse strings when we are in the prem.

They are not going to touch them to get there.
  • Options
    Try to excuse their failure to address the obvious deficiencies in the squad in January. Spend fuck all and wing it. Totally avoidable relegation. They are skint in terms of financing a football club. Frying pan fire.
    Ok, who would you have signed in January? How much would you have paid them? If more than our current structure, how would you have seat with the possible unrest in the squad? How do you know that new signings would gel and hit the ground running?
  • Options
    Try to excuse their failure to address the obvious deficiencies in the squad in January. Spend fuck all and wing it. Totally avoidable relegation. They are skint in terms of financing a football club. Frying pan fire.
    Ok, who would you have signed in January? How much would you have paid them? If more than our current structure, how would you have seat with the possible unrest in the squad? How do you know that new signings would gel and hit the ground running?
    In fairness those are pretty ridiculous questions, he isn’t a paid scout or coach or squad harmony therapist for Charlton Athletic. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    In fairness those are pretty ridiculous questions, he isn’t a paid scout or coach or squad harmony therapist for Charlton Athletic. 
    Yep Bowyer and Gallen surely won’t have been happy with that window .
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Peoples imaginations do tend to run wild on all this - we all expected a bit more in the January window but how we’ve gone from that to assuming they will be off if we are relegated, I’m not quite sure 
    Nailed it as ever .
    100% right 
    I’m not quite sure either 
    they could do anything 
  • Options
    Presumably it was actual money they would have paid for Maddison had he decided to come. And given what’s happened at Hull since he got there, would he have made much of a difference to us?

What’s killed us is losing Gallagher- and I think the blame for that rests squarely with Chelsea and the lad’s agent. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

But not being a paid scout, coach or harmony therapist but continually states that esi should have done better in January without knowing what they did, who they tried to sign etc is a valid point? 
  • Options
    It seems pretty obvious to me that the idea that Roland Duchatelet somehow acquires the club again in the event ESI fold is pie-in-the-sky. He spent a couple of years getting shot of the responsibility of funding the football club. If ESI can't sustain the running costs in the event of relegation, they will need to look to cut their losses and find another owner willing to fund the operation although it's hard to see what prevents them simply walking away and the club being put at serious risk of a winding-up order.

If ESI really don't have decent money behind them (every indication thus far is that they haven't), then the prospect of funding a multi-million pound losing season in League One will not be attractive and may not even be possible. We should remember that the club should make an operating profit for the first time in a very long time his year back in the Championship. That profit won't be huge but it allows ESI to run the club for now without deep pockets. It's also only possible because we have enjoyed better gates at home, more TV defeats and have the lowest budget in the division. If they don't acquire the assets (Valley and Sparrows Lane), a lot of supporters, certainly those who renewed on news of the takeover, may well feel conned and decide not to renew irrespective of which division we are in. Without a sizeable increase in the operating budget in the Championship it's impossible to contemplate a serious promotion bid - the historical stats on this speak for themselves.