Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fried Bread

13»

Comments

• Made some fried bread over Christmas for the first time in about 5 years.  Lovely stuff

As an aside, that previous time was the best fried bread I've ever had and was from the Valley Cafe
  • The Big Plate cafe on Shooters Hill Road does excellent fried bread.
  • Bloody hell I really fancy some fried bread now.
    Like others I've probably had it once or twice in the last 20 years.
  • Nasty.
    Bread fried in a pan for no sake?
    Just have bread and butter or toast
  • Nasty.
    Bread fried in a pan for no sake?
    Just have bread and butter or toast
    No reason?

It's to soak up all the fat and grease that comes off your fry up as its cooking. Waste not want not.
  • Even reading the words makes me queasy. Made to eat it in childhood, but never since then.
    Had it once when I was young.  Made me feel proper sick, never touched it since then 
  • edited March 2020
    It’s not something I eat regularly, but I do like it even if it’s so unhealthy.

I was going to say it’s a sure fire way to heart attack city, but I had a deep fried mars bar last week up in Scotland, takes things to a whole new level, the guy serving it said i’d need a shot of insulin after eating it!
  • It’s not something I eat regularly, but I do like it even if it’s so unhealthy.

I was going to say it’s a sure fire way to heart attack city, but I had a deep fried mars bar last week up in Scotland, takes things to a whole new level, the guy serving it said i’d need a shot of insulin after eating it!
    Deep fried battered haggis! Superb after a few drinks.

Haven’t had any for a long time but I have visited chip shops in Glasgow and they used to sell and eclectic range of delicacies - everything imaginable deep fried, ice cream, cigarettes and assorted booze all in one. Not sure how widespread this was however 
  • The only thing worse I was made to eat as a kid was bread and dripping.
  • IAgree said:

Haven’t had any for a long time but I have visited chip shops in Glasgow and they used to sell and eclectic range of delicacies - everything imaginable deep fried, ice cream, cigarettes and assorted booze all in one. Not sure how widespread this was however 
    Very common for chippys to sell everything, also ice cream vans, you could go to the ice cream van and get your fags, toilet roll and a bag of scampi fries and not even think about ice cream 
  • Sponsored links:

• Last had fried bread about 6 months ago, but always really enjoy it, as part of an English breakfast.👍🏻
  • Should be mandatory for U 16’s. What was the point of Brexit if its all French and Dutch toast. Chlorinated hash browns can do one as well. Only spuds at breakfast should be in the bubble. 
  • Yes, fried bread as a child. We'd have fried mashed potato too if any was left over. Bread and dripping with marmite was another combination.
  • edited March 2020
    IAgree said:

At first I read that as deep fried cigarettes...and somehow wasn't surprised.
  • Fried bread can still be enjoyed in these troubling times (even if it’s not toast and actually a heresy) 
  • Made some croutons last night and put them in the following (vegan-friendly!) marvel, it was maybe the best meal I've ever made

https://veganonboard.com/creamy-wild-garlic-soup/

Hard to get hold of wild garlic now alas so probably no chance of a repeat
  • Leuth said:
    Made some croutons last night and put them in the following (vegan-friendly!) marvel, it was maybe the best meal I've ever made

This is the perfect time to pick wild garlic. 
    Take a walk along the Wye valley and most of the way the smell and cheeky smile of wild garlic will follow your footsteps. 
  • Alas I'd have to walk all the way TO the Wye Valley first...maybe Maryon Park? Maybe? :(
  • Sunblest thick sliced white into sizzling hot fat, 2 minutes per side.

I love it.  It doesn't love me.  Last time I had it I was suffering for 2 days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every Sunday, after walking the dogs, I'm to be found in the local cafe (Tuck Inn on the old A2, between Rainham & sittingbourne), where I indulge with a nice big fry-up, complete with bubble, black pudding and (of course) a fried slice.
  • Leuth said:
    Made some croutons last night and put them in the following (vegan-friendly!) marvel, it was maybe the best meal I've ever made

I've got some tame garlic I could agitate.
  • Anyone come up with any unusual fried bread 🍞 recipes during lockdown?
  • edited May 2020
    Quasi Mexican breakfast - mix baked beans, chilli and grated cheese in a bowl. Then fill rolled flour tortillas with the mix and fry them. Eat with some sour cream and salsa. Technically fried flat bread.
  • Will you be frying or toasting?