Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Toast

Comments

• Options
    I like my toast to cool down first, then you can actually see and taste the butter, otherwise it’s just soggy bread, unless of course I’m having marmite, then I don’t care 
  • Options
    Sting like his toast done on one side.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Top 5 

Melted cheese, (Gruyère preferably) caramelised onion chutney on top 

Smashed avocado, crispy bacon, poached egg and chimichurri sauce

Peanut butter and blueberry jam

Lemon and lime marmalade/lemon curd

Lurpak and semi set honey (when it's thicker than normal and cloudy)
    This guy toasts! 1,2 & 5 on that list I'm completely down with. Just good quality salted butter all toasted items (especially English muffins, crumpets... but not-so-much bagels) is also a pure winner.

Overall I think peanut butter is wildly overrated, but could be championing a lost cause.

Would add pate and cheesy scrambled eggs to the list.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Don't people champion a full English breakfast anymore? Is it not PC or something?
    Probably my favourite meal - complete with half a loaf of toast.

It's cholesterol, Scottish people eat it
    links instead of lorne? that's definitely an English breakfast  
    Its a line from Alan Partridge 
  • Options
    cheers mate, sounds lovely 
    Ping me £50 and I'll send you a block over mate
    OR i'll get it here for £3.25

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-377-grand-fermage-beurre-aux-cristaux-de-sel-de-mer-de-noirmoutier-plaquette-250g.aspx 
    Have you seen the import duties since we've left the EU?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Can't beat a bit of toast.  Nothing complicated for me, just salted butter thick enough to leave some half melted blobs here and there.

Just one thing, has to be made in a proper pop up toaster.  Those conveyor belt jobs you get in hotels are absolute wank. They never get toast done properly. Bread always seems to end up too burnt or barely warmed.  Put every last one of them in room 101 !!
  • Options
    My kiwi ex got me into peanut butter on toast with sliced tomatoes and salt & pepper!
    a fantastic savoury snack
  • Options
    I’ve still never tried peanut butter or Nutella / choc spread. 

Reckon I’ve only tried about 25% of the tapestry of toast suggested on here. Great thread.

Toast with marrowfat peas and vinegar has got to be the stand out 
  • Options
    Was playing golf at Lullingstone and was in the cafè ordering a bacon roll and a guy came in and ordered 'full English and 10 of toast please luv'

Integestion tablets for dessert?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Don't people champion a full English breakfast anymore? Is it not PC or something?
    Probably my favourite meal - complete with half a loaf of toast.

It's cholesterol, Scottish people eat it
    links instead of lorne? that's definitely an English breakfast  
    Its a line from Alan Partridge 
    Ahh , went straight over my head mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love a bit of soda bread toasted, hotter than the sun, with lots of melting butter.
    Granary bread toasted with strawberry jam and banana.
  • Options
    Beans on toast is a meal of the gods. 

Might sound strange but I’m partial to a combination of peanut butter (got to be smooth) and marmite or peanut butter and Branston pickle. Always on brown, can’t remember the last time I ate white toast.
  • Options

Might sound strange but I’m partial to a combination of peanut butter (got to be smooth) and marmite or peanut butter and Branston pickle. Always on brown, can’t remember the last time I ate white toast.
    they've been watching you 

• Options
    I think this could give the takeover thread a run for its money.
  • Options

Risky. It’s taken me years to perfect the skill of getting the balance right.
  • Options

This is the stuff! An inspired combination!
  • Options
    IAgree said:

This is the stuff! An inspired combination!

That is the work of the Devil.
  • Options
    potted shrimp on brown toast
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Toast and butter sublime.
    But usually with Vegan Block (butter alternative) and a topping which depends very much on the bread. Granary bread is definitely marmalade, bagels marmite.
    Currently loving Lidl sourdough boule, as good as sourdough gets, usually homemade plum jam, but it carries any jam or marmalade, whereas marmite best saved for less tasty bread.
    Toast is marginally trumped by a great warm croissant though (see Lidl again).

PS homemade damson jam is number 1, sadly not had any for a while. 
  • Options
    The toast is underneath! :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    muppetman said:
    Hmm egg mixing with beans is a big no no!
  • Options
    potted shrimp on brown toast
    Jugged hare is nice, if you ever get the chance
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    If this was a rate my plate, I'd say the sausages were on way too high mate and bacon should be done either in a pan, or grilled. That looks like it was cooked in the over and very dry

5/10
  • Options
    Sliced bread in plastic or waxed paper is the work of the devil. A necessary evil I’ll admit but life is too short for shit bread. 
    I've seen sour cherry bread, fennel bread, olive bread, indeed all kinds of bread, but never shit bread.  I can't imagine it would be very popular.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Used to put toast in the fridge to cool it down and then put thick butter and marmite on.  Incredible!

Don't knock it until you have tried it.  
    Sounds awful.  I notice you say you used to.  So even you've given up on it.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Used to love sandwiches out of these when I was a kid -

Remember - 
    Ham and Cheese
    Ham and Tomato
    Cheese and Onion
    Sure beans got thrown in at some point
    Banana and Strawberry jam
    That’s not toast though is it. Toast is bread on it’s own, then grilled on both sides, then add fillings if you want a sandwich made from toasted bread.
    Mind you I do like a Brevilled sandwich.
    Do you think you might be taking this a little bit too seriously mate?
    I'd say you're being a bit flippant.  Toast is a serious matter, even Jesus liked a bit.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Used to put toast in the fridge to cool it down and then put thick butter and marmite on.  Incredible!

Don't knock it until you have tried it.  
    Sounds awful.  I notice you say you used to.  So even you've given up on it.
    Hahaha I can't say I will never do it again.  Just not put it in the fridge for a good while. 
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    If this was a rate my plate, I'd say the sausages were on way too high mate and bacon should be done either in a pan, or grilled. That looks like it was cooked in the over and very dry

5/10
    Sausage and bacon cooked on a Foreman grill, the rest in a microwave. It’s the only equipment we have at work, and the most important piece of course, the toaster. :)
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Used to love sandwiches out of these when I was a kid -

Remember - 
    Ham and Cheese
    Ham and Tomato
    Cheese and Onion
    Sure beans got thrown in at some point
    Banana and Strawberry jam
    That’s not toast though is it. Toast is bread on it’s own, then grilled on both sides, then add fillings if you want a sandwich made from toasted bread.
    Mind you I do like a Brevilled sandwich.
    Do you think you might be taking this a little bit too seriously mate?
    No. Toast is never too important.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Damn