Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Some very silly marks for Oshilaja emerging in the marks thread.

He was there to do a job in the face of a serious head wind and gave us great physicality there, just what we needed with the ball bouncing all over the place and in the air. 
    He was playing out of position.
    He's not played many games this season.
    He's just back from injury.
    A lot of mitigating factors, but he was bloody awful and "gave them their second goal", which was incorrectly ruled out.

As soon as he was hooked and Lapslie came on the the game turned very quickly in our favour.
    The game changed as we took off a player in one position, brought on another in another position with a different remit a d changed our shape with it. Lapslie was brilliant with what he come on and did. Not saying Oshilaja was man of the match or anything but he did a job in very difficult wind conditions and I find marks of 3/10 completely OTT and unfair. I clearly saw a different game to most others.
    I can't agree with that mate. For me if he was doing the job he was meant to be doing he wouldnt have been whipped off in the 55th minute.

As you say though sometimes we just see games differently. I for one didn't think Deji performed particularly well when he played as the CB in a back 3, but the majority of fans did. 
  • Options
    I think Davis was a good signing. We have relied on Pratley too much and he is a player who can interchange with him. It is just you can't expect him to be your creative option - he is more a spoiler. At the end of the day it is about options and I think McGeady does offer some too. Smith to me was a bit of a waste, but maybe there is more to come from him. 

I don't think Luton are rubbish. If everybody had equal points they would stay up I think. But they don't so it will be tough for them.

A quick point about Sarr. I think more and more fans are realising that he should be the first defender Bowyer puts on his team sheet. Extend him and Taylor as a priority ESI.
    Agree with all of that
  • Options
    I think Davis was a good signing. We have relied on Pratley too much and he is a player who can interchange with him. It is just you can't expect him to be your creative option - he is more a spoiler. At the end of the day it is about options and I think McGeady does offer some too. Smith to me was a bit of a waste, but maybe there is more to come from him. 

I don't think Luton are rubbish. If everybody had equal points they would stay up I think. But they don't so it will be tough for them.

A quick point about Sarr. I think more and more fans are realising that he should be the first defender Bowyer puts on his team sheet. Extend him and Taylor as a priority ESI.
    Davis looked better second half in the defensive midfield role. Hasn't really got the energy to play that well further forward. Still much prefer Pratley over him but he's an okay backup. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    PWR

Second half attacking the Covered End has meant often a goal conceded by us a minute or two after the start of late. This time we attacked, a lovely sliderule pass to Green on the six yard line with the whole goal to aim at and he put it wide for a goal kick. 

Pretty sure the defender got to the ball ahead of Green didn't he?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I saw them preparing Lapslie on the touchline. They weren't just getting him ready, they were rushing him on. It was getting to the stage where Oshilaja was making so many errors a second yellow was a likelihood, not a possibility 
    Bit of an exageration... Ball went out for a throw in about two times whilst Lapslie was standing on the sidelines - If they'd been rushing him on he'd have been on during one of those breaks in play
  • Options
    We are not out of the mire yet but that was a big step forward and yes there was an element of good fortune but it was whoever scored first yesterday I think  was going to win the match. Two things stick in my head and they are that the Charlton fans did themselves proud with the applause for the young Luton town fan and George Lapslie’s return was great as I think we all love him when he comes on and for him to get a goal and his reaction summed up in the afternoon for me

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Some very silly marks for Oshilaja emerging in the marks thread.

He was there to do a job in the face of a serious head wind and gave us great physicality there, just what we needed with the ball bouncing all over the place and in the air. 
    He was playing out of position.
    He's not played many games this season.
    He's just back from injury.
    A lot of mitigating factors, but he was bloody awful and "gave them their second goal", which was incorrectly ruled out.

As soon as he was hooked and Lapslie came on the the game turned very quickly in our favour.
    The game changed as we took off a player in one position, brought on another in another position with a different remit a d changed our shape with it. Lapslie was brilliant with what he come on and did. Not saying Oshilaja was man of the match or anything but he did a job in very difficult wind conditions and I find marks of 3/10 completely OTT and unfair. I clearly saw a different game to most others.
    It was only a couple of people marked him as a three to be fair, and I agree, he did ok as he was out of position and lacking minutes post injury. He always gives everything wherever he plays.
    Lapslie was full of energy, but Luton were tiring when he came on, which helped. Great effort from him though, and he'll give Bowyer a selection headache (of the good kind) over the next few games. At very least he's a great addition to the bench, but now must be starting to challenge Davis, and possibly Pratley, for a midfield start, maybe in rotation.
  • Options
    What a wonderful second half that was . Taylor MOM by far , but Lapslie made a big difference when he came on for the struggling Oshilaja . Excellent atmosphere again , barely heard the Luton 2000+ all game .
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Taylor easily the MoM but a great sub appearance by Lapslie, the best he's played for a long time, as last season a lot of the time there was effort, but little end product.

I think it says it all that 2 of our deadline day signings didn't start or even come off the bench.

We needed the “bodies” but it’s obvious that Lapslie is ahead of Smith in Bowyer’s mind and Morgan should be too.  I’d argue that Oztumer and Williams are better than McGeady.  Davis has been ok - good against Forest but average since.  Overall, the window shopping was poor, IMO.  I don’t blame Bowyer and Gallen for that . 
    I take your point about the arrivals in the January window. You wonder if they were just insurance against another crop of injuries which would have meant relegation.
  • Options
    What a wonderful second half that was . Taylor MOM by far , but Lapslie made a big difference when he came on for the struggling Oshilaja . Excellent atmosphere again , barely heard the Luton 2000+ all game .
    I thought they made a reasonable noise at times, much louder than the Blackburn fans
  • Options
    Good assist by Davis for the first goal, he's slowly warming up. 
  • Options
    That was probably the worst pass Lyle Taylor has ever received from a range of less than five yards in his professional career. It was behind him  too hard and bouncing at neck height. God knows how he got it under control and buried it but yes, technically an assist.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    18th, 5 Points Clear. The plummet continues.

Wigan are the side that'll survive, at the cost of who though.
    Huddersfield is my bet.
    If so, would we be able to tempt back Grant? 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    18th, 5 Points Clear. The plummet continues.

Wigan are the side that'll survive, at the cost of who though.
    Huddersfield is my bet.
    If so, would we be able to tempt back Grant? 
    Not only wouldn't we offer enough but the dogs abuse he got recently would surely put him off after spending 10 years of his young life at the valley.

• Options
    That was probably the worst pass Lyle Taylor has ever received from a range of less than five yards in his professional career. It was behind him  too hard and bouncing at neck height. God knows how he got it under control and buried it but yes, technically an assist. 

I don't know about all that. It wasn't perfect and Lyle made a lot out of it, but it was an intelligent little chip to make a pass that didn't look like it was on happen.
  • Options

Living up to your name, cheer up we won.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I have to admit I wasn't filled with optimism when Lapslie came on, not because of his ability or the energy he brings to the side but because of his long stint out. Obviously Bowyer knows best so I should have been more hopeful.

As people have said, it was Gallagher-esque, the way he ran about with seemingly endless energy. We look so much better when we press teams and he allowed us to do that so much more effectively. 

Bonne looked excellent when he came on: strong, winning everything that came his way and picking out some intelligent passes. He also allowed us to make more runs behind with his vision and excellent short, quick passes. Would love to see him and Lyle up top together for the rest of the season - they'd absolutely destroy teams.
  • Options
    I have to admit I wasn't filled with optimism when Lapslie came on, not because of his ability or the energy he brings to the side but because of his long stint out. Obviously Bowyer knows best so I should have been more hopeful.

As people have said, it was Gallagher-esque, the way he ran about with seemingly endless energy. We look so much better when we press teams and he allowed us to do that so much more effectively. 

Bonne looked excellent when he came on: strong, winning everything that came his way and picking out some intelligent passes. He also allowed us to make more runs behind with his vision and excellent short, quick passes. Would love to see him and Lyle up top together for the rest of the season - they'd absolutely destroy teams.
    I keep reading that lapslies performance was Gallagher-esque but I think Gallagher’s early season form was lapslie-esque 
  • Options
    It looks a penalty from the Jimmy Seed stand camera angle.