Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Obviously still not mathematically safe but that's a big step in the right direction, at this point we can't relax but neither do we need to but the panic button if we get less than three points next time round.
  • Options
    Don’t want our goal difference to be a factor, but …
    Lapslie coming on today was such a game changer. Some on the match thread ridiculing it. Got to trust in LB. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Hold my hands up, when I saw Lapslie coming on I thought shit that's negative but he changed the game. 
    If he'd been coming on for a forward or Oztumer then yes but we plainly needed a midfielder - any midfielder - to replace Deji
    You were pretty scathing of his substitute appearances before the game, maybe you could "hold your hands up" too. 
    Scathing of times he's been introduced for an attacking player. This time he was introduced for our defensive pivot, which is a new one for him, and which I was even at the time in agreement with 
  • Options
    What was Lyle like in the captain's role today?

It has occurred to me that being team captain next season might be one of the unnamed things Lee said Lyle wanted to happen before he would consider signing a new contract.  The absence of other senior players such as Pearce & Solly today might have made it an uncontroversial game to give it a trial without putting other noses out of joint.
  • Options
    I was a bit scathing before though, so yeah, fair play to Lapslie 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Hold my hands up, when I saw Lapslie coming on I thought shit that's negative but he changed the game. 
    If he'd been coming on for a forward or Oztumer then yes but we plainly needed a midfielder - any midfielder - to replace Deji
    You were pretty scathing of his substitute appearances before the game, maybe you could "hold your hands up" too. 
    Scathing of times he's been introduced for an attacking player. This time he was introduced for our defensive pivot, which is a new one for him, and which I was even at the time in agreement with 
    He didn't play in that position though did he, Davis did. Just praise his performance rather than look to say "see I was right!" which you often do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth was quite positive about Lapslie the player just not how his substitutions worked out in terms of points.
  • Options
    As I say, there are two parts of every substitution - the player going off as well as on. If people saw Oshilaja going off as negative then they really weren't thinking straight - the only people on the bench I'd have seen coming on for him were Pearce and Lapslie, with the latter the less negative option 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    As I say, there are two parts of every substitution - the player going off as well as on. If people saw Oshilaja going off as negative then they really weren't thinking straight - the only people on the bench I'd have seen coming on for him were Pearce and Lapslie, with the latter the less negative option 
    At the time I'd have had McGeady on for him, which is why I thought it was negative. I was wrong. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, Doughty was more or less flawless 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Conditions were poor with the wind, saw two lots of double headers in the first half. Sarr unlucky in hitting the bar with a right foot volley. Had the Luton player let the shot go in instead and kicking it and being offside, it might have been a different game. Battled well in the end and a deserved result.
  • Options
    Observation from the girlfriend. 

"If Lyle Taylor decides to stop football I think he'd make a god ballerina"

More cutting edge insight later but now I have to take her out for dinner...
    Comments like that, make her pay!!!!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Attendance:

Decent attendance 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LB got everything spot on today. When we saw Lapslie was coming on everyone thought it was too negative but he changed the game. As already mentioned, a Gallagher-esque performance from him. Also, bringing on Bonne for Oztumer and putting Taylor at the number 10 role was surprising yet very effective. He dictated the tempo in that position, and was largely involved in our 3rd, as was Bonne who provided the assist.
    All subs spot on but not the starting eleven. Lets not forget how shit we were first half. 
    We need to stop playing two 'defensive midfielders' in our 5-3-2/4-1-2-1-2. We can't retain the ball and lose out in the midfield most of the time we do. Obviously the lose of Gallagher, and Williams been made out of glass has made this difficult.

When Pratley comes back I hope its either him or Davis and not both of them. Lapslie is great, but not sure he is the long term solution. I'd prefer Morgan but it's clear that Bowyer does not rate him. 
  • Options
    MASSIVE result for us.... Whatever Lyle wants for him to sign a new contract, just give it to him. I know no player is bigger than the club but Lyle 100% is and that has clearly shown since he came back from injury.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I love it how Lyle takes penalties 👌