Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty extends contract to 2021

Comments

• shine166 said:
    clive said:
    The club remain in negotiations with Doughty and his representatives over a further extension to his contract.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e4fac730afc2/charlton-trigger-option-to-extend-alfie-doughtys-contract-to-2021
    I'm confused now, do we boo or cheer ESI ? It changes minute to minute. 
    Also i thought the extension was to 2022 but OS says to 2021?? Thought they had already confirmed his contract was until 2021 or is the above a keying error? confused.com
  • shine166 said:
    clive said:
    The club remain in negotiations with Doughty and his representatives over a further extension to his contract.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e4fac730afc2/charlton-trigger-option-to-extend-alfie-doughtys-contract-to-2021
    Also i thought the extension was to 2022 but OS says to 2021?? Thought they had already confirmed his contract was until 2021 or is the above a keying error? confused.com
    it was Cawley who said it was extended to 2022, the Club says 2021 which seems more plausible because we know he was out of contract in June this year and it would be odd to trigger a two year contract extension.
  • shine166 said:
    Great that he's signed something but strange only one year no?

ESI still seem to be waiting for that cheque to clear.
    That's still 2 years away, not like he can walk next summer 

seems he can now …..
  • Sage said:
    Not sure what the problem is?

We have triggered an extension in his contract so he no longer is out of contract in the summer. It would be completely foolish not to have done so whilst we are negotiating a new deal with him.

So now he’s on the same terms until at least 2021, but will be desperate to sign a new and improved contract on a longer deal.

All this move has done is take any power away from Doughty and his agent and put it in our basket. We also know he is going to want to sign, bloody hell he’s playing regularly and well in the Championship when in October he was playing for Bromley.

By the summer he will have a new deal that will probably last until 2023 or 2024. This is a good move all round and just means we are covering ourselves, and Doughty, as it at least keeps us in a position of power and keeps him grounded knowing he’s got a future here.
     Desperate?
    Playing in league one with Fulham interested?.
    Not overly convinced
  • shine166 said:
    clive said:
    it was Cawley who said it was extended to 2022, the Club says 2021 which seems more plausible because we know he was out of contract in June this year and it would be odd to trigger a two year contract extension.
    Cawley had previously reported Doughty had a contract until 2021. Maybe there was confusion over whether 2021 was before or after activating the extension.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-wants-to-keep-naby-sarr-and-reveals-contract-negotiations-underway-with-dillon-phillips-and-alfie-doughty/
  • Sage said:

We have triggered an extension in his contract so he no longer is out of contract in the summer. It would be completely foolish not to have done so whilst we are negotiating a new deal with him.

So now he’s on the same terms until at least 2021, but will be desperate to sign a new and improved contract on a longer deal.

All this move has done is take any power away from Doughty and his agent and put it in our basket. We also know he is going to want to sign, bloody hell he’s playing regularly and well in the Championship when in October he was playing for Bromley.

By the summer he will have a new deal that will probably last until 2023 or 2024. This is a good move all round and just means we are covering ourselves, and Doughty, as it at least keeps us in a position of power and keeps him grounded knowing he’s got a future here.
    Not sure there is a problem as such but it was initially reported he had signed a new deal to 2022 and then it transpires that in fact we have triggered an automatic extension to 2021.

I don't agree that Alfie will be desperate to extend it beyond that when we know others clubs are already sniffing around. As it stands next June he can leave for a small amount of compensation and negotiate a huge signing on fee with huge wages. 
  • shine166 said:
    Great that he's signed something but strange only one year no?

ESI still seem to be waiting for that cheque to clear.
    That's still 2 years away, not like he can walk next summer 

seems he can now …..
    Guess we can at least sell him in jan if theres no sign of him signing another deal. 
  • LenGlover said:
    I remember one Parker S signing a 5 year contract. The following January he was gone despite a director saying on the wireless that he wasn't leaving!

I'm pleased that in theory we have Alfie for 2 years but won't be holding my breath.
    I’m not sure other clubs are going to be sniffing around Alfie particularly hard yet. He’s had a couple of strong performances but also some pretty anonymous showings and looks very raw to me. He hasn’t done badly overall, and will very likely have a decent career but he also isn’t a really standout young player, imho. We’ve seen players look better than him at that age and when first coming into the team but that never managed to kick on and ended up down the divisions. Glad he’s ours for a least a bit longer and will get more time to develop and improve but I don’t think it necessary to be tying him down to a multiple year deal just yet. 
  • Sage said:

Desperate?
    Playing in league one with Fulham interested?.
    Not overly convinced
    We ain’t going down & he wants to stay here. Hopefully you can be more convinced in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Not sure there is a problem as such but it was initially reported he had signed a new deal to 2022 and then it transpires that in fact we have triggered an automatic extension to 2021.

I don't agree that Alfie will be desperate to extend it beyond that when we know others clubs are already sniffing around. As it stands next June he can leave for a small amount of compensation and negotiate a huge signing on fee with huge wages. 
    Cawley reported the wrong year but had the concept correct. We triggered the extension either way.

He will stay and wants to stay. But even if he did leave, this isn’t Roland negotiating anymore, we won’t get tiny figures for our players, especially young players with great potential.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Cawley reported the wrong year but had the concept correct. We triggered the extension either way.

He will stay and wants to stay. But even if he did leave, this isn’t Roland negotiating anymore, we won’t get tiny figures for our players, especially young players with great potential.
    Is there an echo on here? I could swear I heard someone promise that in 2014...
    I also did say this isn't Roland negotiating anymore but you chose to ignore that part. Before all this got said when Roland was here, he had previous so we shouldn't have been surprised. This time, none of them have previous and he is good friends with a chairman who does know how to negotiate a good deal for their club. I am happy to believe Southall that is what is going to happen until they prove to us or there is proof already out of otherwise. 
  • edited February 2020
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I also did say this isn't Roland negotiating anymore but you chose to ignore that part. Before all this got said when Roland was here, he had previous so we shouldn't have been surprised. This time, none of them have previous and he is good friends with a chairman who does know how to negotiate a good deal for their club. I am happy to believe Southall that is what is going to happen until they prove to us or there is proof already out of otherwise. 
    I doubt if Roland did much or any negotiating. The issue is not lack of good intentions. I’m sure Katrien had those, as did RM. in practice, however, deals are dictated by circumstances and always will be. There is no evidence under this regime, so it seems best to reserve judgement and wait for some. As it would have been in 2014 when Richard Murray said the same thing. After all, Roland had plenty of money, but it made no difference. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

If he doesn't sign a new contract though and leaves next summer there isn't much negotiating to be done.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I doubt if Roland did much or any negotiating. The issue is not lack of good intentions. I’m sure Katrien had those, as did RM. in practice, however, deals are dictated by circumstances and always will be. There is no evidence under this regime, so it seems best to reserve judgement and wait for some. As it would have been in 2014 when Richard Murray said the same thing. After all, Roland had plenty of money, but it made no difference. 
    Yes but Roland has previous as other clubs and we had warnings right from the very beginning. Murray also hadn’t ever got value for money either beforehand, then Katrien was completely out of her depth.

This time there are no warning signs and having a relationship with a successful negotiator at another club and understanding of how things are done through being in football, bodes far better this time round.

I am happy to reserve judgement, but with that also means not to judge or suggest that it will be the same as it was before. So far, nothing suggests it will be different with letting players go to what has been said by the new ownership. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

If he doesn't sign a new contract though and leaves next summer there isn't much negotiating to be done.
    That problem will be solved when he signs a new deal.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I doubt if Roland did much or any negotiating. The issue is not lack of good intentions. I’m sure Katrien had those, as did RM. in practice, however, deals are dictated by circumstances and always will be. There is no evidence under this regime, so it seems best to reserve judgement and wait for some. As it would have been in 2014 when Richard Murray said the same thing. After all, Roland spent plenty of money, but it made no difference. 

• edited February 2020
    LenGlover said:
    I remember one Parker S signing a 5 year contract. The following January he was gone despite a director saying on the wireless that he wasn't leaving!

I'm pleased that in theory we have Alfie for 2 years but won't be holding my breath.
    I’m not sure other clubs are going to be sniffing around Alfie particularly hard yet. He’s had a couple of strong performances but also some pretty anonymous showings and looks very raw to me. He hasn’t done badly overall, and will very likely have a decent career but he also isn’t a really standout young player, imho. We’ve seen players look better than him at that age and when first coming into the team but that never managed to kick on and ended up down the divisions. Glad he’s ours for a least a bit longer and will get more time to develop and improve but I don’t think it necessary to be tying him down to a multiple year deal just yet. 
    I disagree, he’s shown enough potential that we need him signed up on a long term deal. He’s not a stand out player like Gomez or Shelvey, but look what happened to Aribo. He was very similar in that way, signs of quality but lacking consistency, an end product and that something extra that made him a regular starter. Aribo improved though and Doughty has a great chance of doing the same. We could strengthen the squad in the summer, Doughty could improve and become a regular, suddenly we’d have an important player with a few months on his contract and we could lose him for minimal compensation, even less if he goes abroad.
  • The extension was pre-existing and has been triggered, it's given us an extra year to negotiate new terms on a better deal. There's no point wringing our hands over what ESI MIGHT do or not do further to that. We know they WANT to tie him to a strong long term contract but the process has only just started if at all. Let's just see what actually happens before we hit the panic button.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

That problem will be solved when he signs a new deal.
    I hope you are right but until then I’ll maintain that’s ‘if’ .....
  • Scoham said:
    LenGlover said:

I disagree, he’s shown enough potential that we need him signed up on a long term deal. He’s not a stand out player like Gomez or Shelvey, but look what happened to Aribo. He was very similar in that way, signs of quality but lacking consistency, an end product and that something extra that made him a regular starter. Aribo improved though and Doughty has a great chance of doing the same. We could strengthen the squad in the summer, Doughty could improve and become a regular, suddenly we’d have an important player with a few months on his contract and we could lose him for minimal compensation, even less if he goes abroad.
    Not to mention Alfie's doing it a league higher than Aribo did

• Right thing to do for now, would be better to agree a longer term deal. This starts that process but it’s not a big thing. Calm down. 
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Brentford come in for him, especially if they don't go up this year. 
  • good news .. he will only get better
  • great he's been offered a new deal, very exciting prospect, not sure he'll sign one though.

Who is offering these contracts? ESI Mark 2 have not got EFL approval yet.

• Been offered a new deal: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-charlton-athletic-offer-new-contract-to-winger-who-attracted-january-interest-from-fulham/

Steve Gallen still overseeing that side of things + obviously Lee Bowyer will have a big input as well. Getting Alfie on a deal makes total sense.
    Hardly a shock decision that Gallen and Bowyer want to offer him a new contract

Of more relevance is that this has only actually happened since Nimer and Southall left
  • I'd be surprised if he didn't sign. He clearly has a lot of talent but he's still really raw and I think he might catch a case of the Dikjsteels if he left over the summer (given we stay up).
  • I'd be surprised if he didn't sign. He clearly has a lot of talent but he's still really raw and I think he might catch a case of the Dikjsteels if he left over the summer (given we stay up).

Yeah agreed, he's still quite raw, particularly when it comes to attacking end product. Needs a couple of seasons of regular first team involvement. Of course, we may not be the only Championship club willing to offer him that.