Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most graceful player you've seen play

Comments

• Options
    Cannavaro; Pirlo; Maldini.
  • Options
    Apart from the obvious names Davor Sukor was my favourite player to watch.
    Was so excited when he came to prem but he never quite lived up to the Sevilla/ Madrid player he was previous.

JJ Okacha made the game look very easy. 

Le Tissier was a joy to watch
  • Options
    Kinsella was a demi god but I would not describe his style as graceful.
  • Options
    The late Keith Weller when he was at Millwall. He just used to glide around our players like they never existed.
  • Options
    Hoddle. Zidane. 
  • Options
    jenson and mortimer for us - zidaine, bergkamp, pirlo and hoddle elsewhere 
  • Options
    Going back a little, but Liam Brady was a wonderfully elegant footballer for both the Arse and Juventus.

Glen Hoddle was a genius - unlucky to be play in an era where the long ball tactics of Watford and Wimbledon, meant that he spent large part of games watching the ball arrow over his head.

Agree with other posters that Zola and Bergkamp were both a cut above.
  • Options
    Surprised Iniesta or Xavi dont get a mention

Just guided the ball to where it needed to be each time
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I would put Scholes in that bracket.

It was either Xavi or Iniesta, at the height of their skills, who described Paul Scholes as the best midfielder in the world!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Glen Hoddle was a genius - unlucky to be play in an era where the long ball tactics of Watford and Wimbledon, meant that he spent large part of games watching the ball arrow over his head.

Not quite true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZOK3sR9WQ&feature=emb_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVlob8IT8Lk

• Options
    What amazed me about Hoddle was the amount of time he always seemed to have on the ball.
  • Options
    The most graceful left back I have seen at the Valley is Chris Powell. 

At his peak he had such an unflustered approach to defending and attacking. Stand-up defending, no diving in. Attacking with his shuffle and overlap.

I'd sum up SCP playing style as graceful considering he was a defender.
  • Options

At his peak he had such an unflustered approach to defending and attacking. Stand-up defending, no diving in. Attacking with his shuffle and overlap.

Cruyff turning Mendieta on his England debut is a prime example of that!
  • Options
    Cruyff at Wembley v England 1976. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I would put Scholes in that bracket.

It was either Xavi or Iniesta, at the height of their skills, who described Paul Scholes as the best midfielder in the world!
    The word graceful affected my choices - the above were brilliant,a s was zola but not sure they were particularly graceful - another graceful player was Trevor Brooking  
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Cruyff turning Mendieta on his England debut is a prime example of that!
    Read my mind Mr Munro. Believe he might have also nut-megged Pep Guardiola in same game.
  • Options
    Danny Blanchflower
  • Options
    Redondo.  How Pasarella managed to piss him off and lost him to the 98 WC, was the biggest tragedy to one of Argentina's most talented squads.  Beckham and Scholes had goals over him, Scholes could operate in the spaces supremely, but neither of them could define matches against the best in the world.  Redondo made McMannaman world class.  Athletically supreme when he was young, everyone knew his feint flick was coming but couldn't do anything about it.  When he slowed down at Madrid later on, he sat deeper but still found the space to run the match.

If only England could produce brilliant players who can operate centrally, skip laterally, then centre again.  Instead of great European players like Beckham who run in straight lines all day long.
  • Options
    Zidane. The best imo 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    Redondo.  How Pasarella managed to piss him off and lost him to the 98 WC, was the biggest tragedy to one of Argentina's most talented squads.  Beckham and Scholes had goals over him, Scholes could operate in the spaces supremely, but neither of them could define matches against the best in the world.  Redondo made McMannaman world class.  Athletically supreme when he was young, everyone knew his feint flick was coming but couldn't do anything about it.  When he slowed down at Madrid later on, he sat deeper but still found the space to run the match.

If only England could produce brilliant players who can operate centrally, skip laterally, then centre again.  Instead of great European players like Beckham who run in straight lines all day long.
    Redondo is a good call for gracefulness 

One of the things I should say is players develop and become great within the climate they play in. I think when he was marching about in midfield players like him were suited to spanish or south american football. English and most european football at the time was a lot more industrious and about percentages 

I do think we have produced those players and Scholes was a good example of it, found space and saw space regardless of where it was on the pitch. Whereas a lot of british players would do a job within a system and not look to retain possession in any area, or to take the ball, turn and look up
  • Options
    Not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I always thought Frank Worthington was good value. He really blossomed at Leicester when playing with our Lennie Glover.
  • Options
    If graceful is taken outside of playing I’d say Neville Southall. What a lovely, caring man.
  • Options
    Glass half full has covered all bases, Marvin Hinton stands out, even though 58 years ago. 
    Cripes that's a long time!

Went to Chelsea and they converted him  from a CB to full back.

Eamon Dunphy used to glide over the pitch if I remember.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    ColinTat said:

One of the things I should say is players develop and become great within the climate they play in. I think when he was marching about in midfield players like him were suited to spanish or south american football. English and most european football at the time was a lot more industrious and about percentages 

I do think we have produced those players and Scholes was a good example of it, found space and saw space regardless of where it was on the pitch. Whereas a lot of british players would do a job within a system and not look to retain possession in any area, or to take the ball, turn and look up
      Scholes was excellent.  Sticking him on the left of a midfield 4 for England was always criminal.  The difference is Scholes was good at finding space, and playing in pockets of space.  Did he make space by breaking up play, and taking out players with devestating dribbles?  Not really.  He always looked elegant to me but not devestating.  Redondo had the movement of Hoddle whilst defensively being as good as Makelele.  Even in the centre of a midfield 3 for England I'm not sure Scholes would have raised our one dimensional game.  Redondo could play in any world class league/team at his peak and would have improved them significantly, even England.

We seemed to have many players who could skip laterally in the 70s and into the 80s- such as Hoddle - by the Premiership all the British players emerging were straight liners.  Into that brilliant bunch I'd toss Chris Waddle.  The most graceful English player I've seen.  Barnes was incredible but Waddles movement just had a little bit more balance to it.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Carter said:
    ColinTat said:

Scholes was excellent.  Sticking him on the left of a midfield 4 for England was always criminal.  The difference is Scholes was good at finding space, and playing in pockets of space.  Did he make space by breaking up play, and taking out players with devestating dribbles?  Not really.  He always looked elegant to me but not devestating.  Redondo had the movement of Hoddle whilst defensively being as good as Makelele.  Even in the centre of a midfield 3 for England I'm not sure Scholes would have raised our one dimensional game.  Redondo could play in any world class league/team at his peak and would have improved them significantly, even England.

We seemed to have many players who could skip laterally in the 70s and into the 80s- such as Hoddle - by the Premiership all the British players emerging were straight liners.  Into that brilliant bunch I'd toss Chris Waddle.  The most graceful English player I've seen.  Barnes was incredible but Waddles movement just had a little bit more balance to it.
    I liked Chris Waddle for England, bit before my time as far as seeing him play in the flesh in his prime as he'd moved to France and the only time I was treated to him was when he was at Bradford and looked like he was playing through a really heavy cold against us, this was the game I thought the Bradford keeper Schwarzer was the best player on the pitch in a dull 1 nil defeat 

Wednesday fans love him
  • Options
    Zidane- had a bloody film made of him playing in a game. 

Hoddle- left foot, right foot, didn’t matter. Even his passes looked graceful. 

Cannavarro /Maldini- didn’t see Beckenbauer but these two made defending look sexy. 
  • Options
    Kempes
  • Options
    Cruyff
  • Options
    Pirlo, Bergkamp, Zidane - take your pick