Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    How was Hooters mate?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    How was Hooters mate?

• Options
    One of the best away days in recent times as literally nobody thought we had a chance . As well as Naby played , Taylor gets my MOM  , his work rate is incredible  . If only he had a better strike partner than Hemed would have been an easy three points . Fans were unreal from start to finish  .
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching on video it looked like Lyle just stuck out a foot for the goal, but in the pic from the Guardian it was a full blooded volley. That’s some technique. [Edit: Having looked at the video again, not sure the photo is of the goal? Looks like three defenders round him in the photo, but only one or two in the vid? Yeah, not the goal. Naughty Guardian]

The Guardian’s headline was ‘Forest blow it at home to lowly Charlton’ :-(
    Ahhhhh been a while since we were called ‘lowly’.
    Used to be so standard pre premier league days I actually thought our name was ‘Lowly Charlton Athletic’ 🙄
    Ian St John when LWT covered us always seemed to refer to us as plucky wee Charlton 
  • Options
    Have I missed anything ? 

Home at 2.45am this morning, following a diversion from the M1 onto the A10, M25 closed approaching the Bridge so used the Blackwall Tunnel, then a diversion on the last leg off the A21. What larks, Pip ! 

I thought the tickly throat I arrived back with was my legacy from shouting on our lads, as were the nail indentations on my palms from the tension throughout the match.....

But, sadly, my reward for a 14 hour away day doing what the faithful do best, was the  aforementioned cough plus the bonus of a snotty nose. Of course it was worth it. 

I can't express just how satisfying it is to be at an away game & to come away with the spoils.

But to REALLY deserve the 3 points, following a gutsy yet polished performance against a team peering down from a great height, is something special & deserves to be savoured.....

...which is what I did from the depths of my cosy, fragrant smelling "pit" until mid afternoon. No way can I be on the subs' bench on Saturday ! 

Too many "thank yous " from yesterday to list them all but uppermost in my germ addled mind are 3 instances :smile:

To the 3 Forest fans we shared a table with in Wetherspoons before the match - lovely people who were totally shocked when they saw their starting line up but remained optimistic, whilst wishing us luck for the rest of the season.

Secondly, to Mr F whose turn it was to drive & who wasn't fazed by the twists & turns our seemingly straightforward journey home took. He was also the chauffeur for the Luton match when we encountered similar challenges. Bless his smelly cotton socks ! Maybe 3rd time lucky ?

And last but by no means least, our brilliant boys in black & their unwavering gaffer who NEVER loses faith in them. The joy on their faces at the final whistle, the punching the air from our Jacko ( who "lives down the road from me" !) and finally , the tunnel jump from 2 of our heroes on the night. We love you all.

Now for 15 minutes of steaming my old 'ead over a bowl of boiling  hot water, ensconced under a tea towel. That's guaranteed to bring out those pesky blackheads lurking under the surface.....

Onwards & upwards !!!
    I wish Mrs JS loved football the way that you do!  :-)
  • Options
    Great win, but lets be honest Forest were really poor and we gave the ball away a lot! Can't be doing that on Saturday.

How bad was Carl Jenkinson by the way? Rapid decline.
    We have a lot to thank Jenkinson for tho.From his sale proceeds from Arsenal SCP built our Championship winning team of 2012
    I remember watching Jenkinson have a nightmare in the infamous 2-1 loss at Dagenham and then reading with disbelief in the SLP that Arsenal were in for him - I thought it had to be a mistake.

I am sure he is a nice young man but I have never seen the slightest evidence that he is a Championship class player, let alone Premier League.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    1StevieG said:
    That red button though. That wasn’t even standard definition more like retro 80’s definition. At one point I lost track of the ball because there wasn’t enough pixels in the TV.
    It's awful quality to watch and it felt like their faces have been covered up or made fuzzy to hide their identity! Yet the highlights later were as clear as anything. 
    Is it an internet delivered service ? I’ve got sky and watch the red button games on a 50” (ish) tv, including this game and when I first select it and the picture comes up it is blurred for a few seconds then it sorts itself out pretty quickly and looks like a HD picture to me. It did drop out twice, once when it recovered quickly and restarted at the at the bit where it dropped out and again when I wasn’t sure if one of the dogs watching the game with me had put her paw on a remote and the screen went blank. I thought the commentator was pretty good the other night btw, unlike previous games when they’ve been fairly clueless imo 
  • Options
    Did the commentator on Sky red button even mention McGeady coming on to replace Oztumer? He mentioned Purrington replacing Doughty and then I noticed McGeady come into the picture on screen. Checked the BBC and he had replaced Oztumer 2 minutes before Purrington came on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did the commentator on Sky red button even mention McGeady coming on to replace Oztumer? He mentioned Purrington replacing Doughty and then I noticed McGeady come into the picture on screen. Checked the BBC and he had replaced Oztumer 2 minutes before Purrington came on.
    No he deffo missed that , well i did 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    That red button though. That wasn’t even standard definition more like retro 80’s definition. At one point I lost track of the ball because there wasn’t enough pixels in the TV.
    It's awful quality to watch and it felt like their faces have been covered up or made fuzzy to hide their identity! Yet the highlights later were as clear as anything. 
    Is it an internet delivered service ? I’ve got sky and watch the red button games on a 50” (ish) tv, including this game and when I first select it and the picture comes up it is blurred for a few seconds then it sorts itself out pretty quickly and looks like a HD picture to me. It did drop out twice, once when it recovered quickly and restarted at the at the bit where it dropped out and again when I wasn’t sure if one of the dogs watching the game with me had put her paw on a remote and the screen went blank. I thought the commentator was pretty good the other night btw, unlike previous games when they’ve been fairly clueless imo 
    That’s because it was Rob Palmer, the guy who used to do the Spanish La Liga on Sky with Scottie back in the day. Really knows his onions. It’s a tough gig doing commentary in a studio on your own. The camera didn’t pan on any of the subs so was amazed he knew any of them!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Have I missed anything ? 

Home at 2.45am this morning, following a diversion from the M1 onto the A10, M25 closed approaching the Bridge so used the Blackwall Tunnel, then a diversion on the last leg off the A21. What larks, Pip ! 

I thought the tickly throat I arrived back with was my legacy from shouting on our lads, as were the nail indentations on my palms from the tension throughout the match.....

But, sadly, my reward for a 14 hour away day doing what the faithful do best, was the  aforementioned cough plus the bonus of a snotty nose. Of course it was worth it. 

I can't express just how satisfying it is to be at an away game & to come away with the spoils.

But to REALLY deserve the 3 points, following a gutsy yet polished performance against a team peering down from a great height, is something special & deserves to be savoured.....

...which is what I did from the depths of my cosy, fragrant smelling "pit" until mid afternoon. No way can I be on the subs' bench on Saturday ! 

Too many "thank yous " from yesterday to list them all but uppermost in my germ addled mind are 3 instances :smile:

To the 3 Forest fans we shared a table with in Wetherspoons before the match - lovely people who were totally shocked when they saw their starting line up but remained optimistic, whilst wishing us luck for the rest of the season.

Secondly, to Mr F whose turn it was to drive & who wasn't fazed by the twists & turns our seemingly straightforward journey home took. He was also the chauffeur for the Luton match when we encountered similar challenges. Bless his smelly cotton socks ! Maybe 3rd time lucky ?

And last but by no means least, our brilliant boys in black & their unwavering gaffer who NEVER loses faith in them. The joy on their faces at the final whistle, the punching the air from our Jacko ( who "lives down the road from me" !) and finally , the tunnel jump from 2 of our heroes on the night. We love you all.

Now for 15 minutes of steaming my old 'ead over a bowl of boiling  hot water, ensconced under a tea towel. That's guaranteed to bring out those pesky blackheads lurking under the surface.....

Onwards & upwards !!!
    I wish Mrs JS loved football the way that you do!  :-)
    Can’t all be as lucky as Mr FF, Mr MHL, Mr Ci, Mr WA  or Mr KBLS 😜
  • Options
    Results really went our way last night, with only Luton getting points.
    Derby, Huddersfield, Reading and Stoke all lost!

• Options
    Great win, but lets be honest Forest were really poor and we gave the ball away a lot! Can't be doing that on Saturday.

How bad was Carl Jenkinson by the way? Rapid decline.
    We have a lot to thank Jenkinson for tho.From his sale proceeds from Arsenal SCP built our Championship winning team of 2012
    I remember watching Jenkinson have a nightmare in the infamous 2-1 loss at Dagenham and then reading with disbelief in the SLP that Arsenal were in for him - I thought it had to be a mistake.

I am sure he is a nice young man but I have never seen the slightest evidence that he is a Championship class player, let alone Premier League.
    I'm amazed that he only left Arsenal permanently last summer, considering what a fringe player he was there for most of his career. Indeed he's actually played more league games for West Ham than he has done for Arsenal!
  • Options
    https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/gallery/best-action-nottingham-forest-v-3837274

Fourth picture on there, Lyle's celebrating.  If that's his celebration, he must be leaving.  Did he wave at the end of the game?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought we were outstanding tonight, I was really pleased Hemed got a run out, but he looked so rusty he looked like he should have been sprayed with WD40.
    I'm glad you said that. I thought it was only me with most others singing his praises.
    Looks like his legs have nearly gone to me.
    Shame you can't watch the first half again as I'm pretty sure Hemed's first four or five contributions were very positive. Was it three wayward shots he had though? If one of those had flown in it'd have massively helped his cause.
    Naby's now top of the assists table, and third top goalscorer btw.
    It's a shame he's no good though, isn't it?
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Interesting player marks in The Times' report of the game. Purrington 5. Phillips, Matthews, Davis, McGeady and Cullen 6. Lockyer, Pearce, Oztumer and Doughty 7. Sarr and Taylor 8. The Notts Forest scores were mostly 5s and 6s wit 7 for Lolley and Silva.
    Marks without any definition of the criteria for giving them aren't very useful other than for a comparison between players.  The Times's 5 could be our statbank's 7, for example.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No way is Kish's cross comparable to Sarr's
    iaitch said:
    Simonsen said:

World class is absolutely right, I can’t think of a better cross at Charlton. 
    Have a look at Kishishev's in this match, its right at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFepqhT3zY

Dazzler21 said:

Kish's cross was good, BeckenSarr's was excellent.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Now will you start to believe?

A little more faith in these lads because that was a fantastic result and performance.

Shout out to Sarr who was phenomenal and of course our match winner, Taylor.

Lee Bowyer’s Red Army! 
    This 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    No way is Kish's cross comparable to Sarr's
    iaitch said:
    Simonsen said:

World class is absolutely right, I can’t think of a better cross at Charlton. 
    Have a look at Kishishev's in this match, its right at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFepqhT3zY

Dazzler21 said:

Kish's cross was good, BeckenSarr's was excellent.
    I’d say El Karkouri’s ball for the first goal is better. Inch perfect.

Edit: Actually, four of the five goals in that game were excellent. 3 superb assists and one outrageous strike from Joey Barton.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    How was Hooters mate?
    Won't be winning Michelin stars any time soon, but the calibre of waiting staff was much higher than I was expecting!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Thought Oztumer looked class and a calming influence on the ball, picking it up and laying it off to the runners. Very different style to Williams who is a bit more frantic and tends to speed up play. How about that turn and shot in the first half? Unreal.

And a clean sheet. Brilliant! The problems with our defence are easy to fix, that's what's made them so poor: track your man, clear the ball, don't dive into tackles. Looks like we did all that for the most part. Like Bowyer said in the post-match interview, when we manage to do the basics, the rest clicks into place.

Looking at the results over the last 6 games: W2D2L2. It's starting to look better.

Also noticed the mighty Stoke lost at home ;)
  • Options
    I think the defence looks so much better when the ball doesn't keep coming back. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching on video it looked like Lyle just stuck out a foot for the goal, but in the pic from the Guardian it was a full blooded volley. That’s some technique. [Edit: Having looked at the video again, not sure the photo is of the goal? Looks like three defenders round him in the photo, but only one or two in the vid? Yeah, not the goal. Naughty Guardian]

And the devotees of the Guardian will have you believe that other papers lie and the Guardian is the only paper to read.

Read it and weep Guardianistas. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Quick question... the podcast, which I listen to religiously, what are the screen names here of Tom, and Nathan? Louis is LouisMend?
  • Options
    @wallin58 and @_nam11 I think
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

And the devotees of the Guardian will have you believe that other papers lie and the Guardian is the only paper to read.

Read it and weep Guardianistas. 
    That could be poor sub-editing, it could be deliberate, in which case shame on them.  However, the other papers lie a lot of the time to push an agenda, typically a right-wing, anti-EU agenda.  In the case of The Times and The Sun, being owned by Murdoch, they also promote sports covered/sponsored by Sky and bash the BBC because it's a rival to New International.
  • Options
    ^^^^^ that is a terrific photo