Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you miss from football

Comments

• Pre-match entertainment. I seem to recall army personnel climbing over things before some games at The Valley. The ground seems to be empty these days until about 10 minutes before kick off.
  • I feel like there is a distinction that needs to be made between nostalgia/things that were different in the past and things that we actually miss.

Having to wait to find out scores from a newspaper etc strikes me as more of a nostalgia thing, but when that went it was replaced by something that was even more convenient (for example - the excitement of knowing that your nearest relegation/promotion rivals are losing on the final day of the season). I don’t think we as football fans ‘lose out’ there. 

However, things like ‘old school’ grounds are things where something was lost and not appropriately replaced in the example of many modern day corporate style stadiums. That is something where really there is no going back and getting that atmosphere back into games at the top level
  • Football before SKY got involved.

The Soccer 6’s in Manchester (the competition that Charlton won in 88. I remember  we beat Liverpool 6-3, think we might have been 3-0 down. 

Not quite the same but I used to love the 5aside Masters Series that you'd get on SKY
  • cafctom said:
    I feel like there is a distinction that needs to be made between nostalgia/things that were different in the past and things that we actually miss.

Having to wait to find out scores from a newspaper etc strikes me as more of a nostalgia thing, but when that went it was replaced by something that was even more convenient (for example - the excitement of knowing that your nearest relegation/promotion rivals are losing on the final day of the season). I don’t think we as football fans ‘lose out’ there. 

However, things like ‘old school’ grounds are things where something was lost and not appropriately replaced in the example of many modern day corporate style stadiums. That is something where really there is no going back and getting that atmosphere back into games at the top level
    More convenient yes but I honestly preferred the excitement/anticipation of having to wait for other scores ahead of simply knowing them from BBC live text etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Picking up a news paper and finding out transfers that way - not 3 days before it happens.  

transfers being able to happen up until the old deadline day (think it was towards the end of March)

Only one game being on live tv each week.

Games being played in pissing rain and thick mud. I remember a game at Upton Park circa 88 it pissed down and there were puddles all over the pitch - some tackles that were practically GBH we’re flying in. 

Old style grounds - St Andrews, Ayresome Park, Roker Park etc etc. 

Football was so much better in the 80’s.
    Like.
  • 3pm kick offs.

Semi finals at neutral venues.

Terracing.
    All of these. Semi Finals were much better at Villa Park and Hillsbrough. 
    I know my football Dicky.
  • Wondering what state players would be in at the start of pre season training after a summer on the piss.
  • edited February 2020
    I miss the non accessibility of scores at other grounds and the buzz of excitement at find out out the other scores from one of these:

How they got that paper out to suburbs of London by about 5:30 on Saturday was amazing.
  • There were definitely whole Saturday afternoons in the late 80s when I would just watch the latest scores page on Ceefax.
  • edited February 2020
    Ramshackle terracing.

Floodlight pylons. 

Mud.

Slightly heavier ball (Minerva was good). 

Proper goal nets/posts and slightly different styles depending which ground you were at (not these shitty box things with stupid extra posts). 

Tackling. 

Diving headers. 

Published transfer fees.

No transfer windows. 

Pink 'un 

Green 'un 

• Outfield players going in goal - happens very rarely with 3 subs from 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Numbers 1-11
  • The halftime scoreboard.

By the time a combination of the scores actually appearing and one's inner Alan Turing cracking the code the second half was nearly over!
  • bobmunro said:
    Tuning into Grandstand at 4.45pm on a Saturday for the classified results and marking them on the fixture list printed on the inside back page of the daily newspaper.
    And getting shouted at by the old man if you dared to even breathe as he needed these to check his pools coupon
  • No internet or social media, so information about events other than the actual game, was word of mouth fan to fan. Never ceased to amaze me that we could go to Plymouth And they would now we had a big off with Man Utd 2 weeks earlier in Birmingham. The grapevine of information was immense. 

Standing..... I started going to Charlton at the age of 5. I don’t think I sat down at a game for the first 25 years anywhere, ever. 

• Off_it said:
    Waiting for The Mercury to be delivered so you could find out the "latest" news
    The Kentish Independent in my case (until it went bust)
  • Shoulder charging the goalkeeper.
  • No segregation of fans. Being able to decide what game to go to on a Saturday morning if Charlton were away. The East terrace. 
  • I miss the non accessibility of scores at other grounds and the buzz of excitement at find out out the other scores from one of these:

How they got that paper out to suburbs of London by about 5:30 on Saturday was amazing.
    Always very first half heavy!
  • Shoulder charging the goalkeeper.
    You can still run on the pitch and do it now. 
  • Rattles and rosettes