Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hold on to your hats!

Comments

• Options
    Sunday looks like a good day to stay in.
  • Options
    I don't think being in the woods in high winds is a good idea....Blackheath might be a better option!

P.S Love the bothy story, Baldybonce.....I've been in a few during storms; although nothing like the kind of storm that you describe!  Burning kelp gathered from a storm beach as the wind and rain lash down is probably one of the cosiest feelings it's possible to have....and now I'm pining for the Hebrides again!
  • Options
    I have been shopping, bought a shoulder of lamb and plan not to leave the house other than to empty the dogs
  • Options
    On duty tomorrow. Should be fun.
  • Options
    I don't think being in the woods in high winds is a good idea....Blackheath might be a better option!

P.S Love the bothy story, Baldybonce.....I've been in a few during storms; although nothing like the kind of storm that you describe!  Burning kelp gathered from a storm beach as the wind and rain lash down is probably one of the cosiest feelings it's possible to have....and now I'm pining for the Hebrides again!
    I've never been to the Hebrides because of the logistics of getting there. The Cairngorms are easy, train to Aviemore and bus or walk.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Those underplaying the effect of possible 80mph gusts might like to imagine riding a motorbike at even half that speed with no visor to protect your eyes - and then remember that doubling the wind speed quadruples the energy it carries.
    A few years ago i was caught out in the Cairngorm mountains when the tail end of a hurricane passed over Scotland.
    Myself and another chap managed to get to Corrour bothy where we were stuck for 48 hours. The wind speed was recorded outside at 108 mph. To get water meant getting to a stream about 50 yards away, this was achieved by me crawling with 4 water bottles there and back.
    A 108 mph wind sounds like a jet taking off, your eyes water so you can hardly see, you cannot stand or even kneel, the temp of about -2 with windchill is about -30. Within about 15 minutes things get out of control and you can hardly function. 

Sounds fantastic, I'm looking to get out walking somewhere Sunday & take some photos. Any suggestions on some decent woods on outskirts of London ? Would prefer to go to the coast but don't want to get stuck on a train somewhere for 12 hours !!!
    Jack woods at Shooters hill could give you some nice shots across London and not too far to go  if transport is messed up.
    Thanks Baldybonce but just up the road from me & I like to get out & about more. Mind you when I'm soaked through & battered about I'll probably wish I'd taken your suggestion :-)
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Those underplaying the effect of possible 80mph gusts might like to imagine riding a motorbike at even half that speed with no visor to protect your eyes - and then remember that doubling the wind speed quadruples the energy it carries.
    A few years ago i was caught out in the Cairngorm mountains when the tail end of a hurricane passed over Scotland.
    Myself and another chap managed to get to Corrour bothy where we were stuck for 48 hours. The wind speed was recorded outside at 108 mph. To get water meant getting to a stream about 50 yards away, this was achieved by me crawling with 4 water bottles there and back.
    A 108 mph wind sounds like a jet taking off, your eyes water so you can hardly see, you cannot stand or even kneel, the temp of about -2 with windchill is about -30. Within about 15 minutes things get out of control and you can hardly function. 

Sounds fantastic, I'm looking to get out walking somewhere Sunday & take some photos. Any suggestions on some decent woods on outskirts of London ? Would prefer to go to the coast but don't want to get stuck on a train somewhere for 12 hours !!!
    Shorne Woods Country Park.
    Thanks SoundAs, never heard of it :-) Will have a look into it but may go Epping forest
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Sounds more like Brokeback Mountain than the Cairngorm mountains.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Southeastern trains have cancelled all trains on Monday and Tuesday as a precaution.
    That sounds ridiculous but could still be true 😨
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Southeastern trains have cancelled all trains on Monday and Tuesday as a precaution.
    That sounds ridiculous but could still be true 😨
    Well, I was joking, but this is what I've just seen on their website ....

"As Storm Ciara heads to the UK this weekend, we strongly advise our passengers NOT to travel tomorrow."

So that's it folks, Southeastern's advice is to not travel any where tomorrow over any distance and for any reason. What a pile of wank.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Wow! My cousin died in the Cairngorms on a school trip. Got stuck in snow and sheltered in the Alamein huts which were unsurprisingly insufficent. I recall only 1 boy and a teacher survived
  • Options
    Not sure anyone should be heading for woods or forests tomorrow. 
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Wow! My cousin died in the Cairngorms on a school trip. Got stuck in snow and sheltered in the Alamein huts which were unsurprisingly insufficent. I recall only 1 boy and a teacher survived
    Just read up on this. 

So sad. 
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

6 died. Terrible tragedy.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

6 died. Terrible tragedy.
    Was terrible. I was only 6 but remember it for obvious reasons. He immediate family never got over it, particularly her mother and brother who took solace in substances that ultimately brought about an an early death.
  • Options

I've never been to the Hebrides because of the logistics of getting there. The Cairngorms are easy, train to Aviemore and bus or walk.
    You must try and get up there if you can.  When the sun is shining, I think that there is nowhere more beautiful on this Earth.  Start with Mull and you'll want to see more!

P.S Sad to hear about the Cairngorm tragedy....I think the coldest I've ever been was on a trip to that part of the world...
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

This is what they were looking for, the Alamein ‘hut’ was just a temporary shelter made by soldiers exercising. We sheltered for something to eat last october as it had started to snow. I took the oic but didn’t know the others.
    Yes they were built by soldiers preparing for the battle which gave them their name. I recall they may have been removed as were giving a false/insufficient option
  • Options
    Not sure anyone should be heading for woods or forests tomorrow. 
    I am sure .... they shouldn't.  Some people (shakes head).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to get a southeastern train from medway back to london. Wish me luck....
  • Options
    Echo junior league football all been called off in advance over here Essex / East London 
  • Options
    Very windy across Mottingham right now.
  • Options
    Plenty of stuff flying around outside in Welling.  Recycling boxes,  rubbish, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dartford bridge is reported to be preparing to shut, apparently the east bore is closed and being readied and the bridge is shut with a temporary block at Thurrock 
  • Options
    Sounds a bit lively out there!
  • Options
    London Winter Run cancelled so think I'm going to head out for a jog in this wonderful weather.
  • Options
    Bit windy. 
    Trampoline just blown over.