Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Grinich' or 'Grenich'

Comments

• Options
    Actually i think I call it grenitch

But then again I used to province "duvet" as jew-vay
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Loo-sham
    Nah, that's Loo-ish'm. I'm also having trouble with the suggested pronunciation of Charlton as chul'un, as I don't think the first vowel sound is an "uh", even if it's a bit shorter than the "ar" in words like car. The problem is it's really difficult to describe the subtle differences without relying on comparisons with other words that we might pronounce differently, or using the weird IPA characters you see in dictionaries.
  • Options
    grinidge 
  • Options
    You say tomato I say......
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    How should I say Charlton?
    Chorlton.
  • Options
    Grinidge clearly, as I constantly have to correct people up here who believe mistakenly they have been to green witch, gren witch and green itch.
  • Options
    I've never heard 'Grinich' being used. It's 'Grenich' isn't it?
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Chorlton.
    Are you @pork_pie in disguise?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I've never heard 'Grinich' being used. It's 'Grenich' isn't it?
    You're not really from round here, are you?

;) 
    Nah. But I did mainly live in Bromley from about ‘64 to ‘70. Very happily :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bromley. So definitely not around here.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    IAgree said:

Give is a C - C
    Give is a H - H
    Give is a A - A
    Give is a R - R
    Give is a L - L
    Give is a T - T
    Give is a O - O
    Give is a N - N

CHARTUN 👏👏👏
    CHARTUN 👏👏👏
    CHARTUN 👏👏👏

I thought it was Carlisle?
  • Options
    Bromley. So definitely not around here.
    Just up the road!
  • Options
    Grinidge. 
  • Options
    Grinidge here!
  • Options
    Grew up in Grinnidge and that's what we all called it. It doesn't bother me how anyone else pronounces it but I do get annoyed when I hear news reports about 'Errith' or 'Elth-ham.'
    Air-ith and Elt-hum?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Grin-ige
    Loo-sham
    Wool-ige
    Chul-un
    Saaf Eas Lundun
    Gren-itch
    Lewisham
    Wool-itch
    Charl'un
    South East Lundun
  • Options
    Has definitely been pronounced 'Grinich' for as long as I can remember. Tram conductors used to call out "Pass down the car, pliz - Grinich, Charton, Wulich - change at Beresford Square for El'um..".

Only Toffs, Burlington Berties, louche BBC types and newly arrived Blackheathians with ideas above their stations say otherwise. And while we're at it, let's give the hyphen a heave ho. Our tribal home is South East London without the intrusive punctuation mark (another BBC failing).
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Grinidge. Just down the road from Woolidge. Go through Heaven on the way.
    As Belinda sings, Heaven is a place on earth. The second line, Post code SE7, never seems to get sung. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grinidge, of course. 
  • Options
    Grinidge
    Eltum
    Woolidge
    Charlern (especially when pissed)
    Plumstid
    Eriff (Up The Dockers!)
  • Options
    Slight diversion of pronunciation. 

Fored or fore head? 
  • Options
    Grinige in my family
  • Options
    mickc said:
    Slight diversion of pronunciation. 

Fored or fore head? 
    Forrid.
  • Options
    Foured.
  • Options
    Grin itch

Born and bred. Born in St. Alphages Hospital and never lived outside of Borough.
    I too was born in St Alfeges (apparently the Memorial Hospital Shooters Hill was full and ambulance took my mum to St Alfege's instead). Lived on Cherry Orchard Estate.  Went to school in Charlton and Greenwich.
    Always pronounced it Grenidge. 
    Reminds me of a girl at school who was mocked for pronouncing Well Hall Pleasance as "Play-sance" rather than "Plessence" 
  • Options
    Must say as a (very far) out of towner I'm loving this thread. Have always used Grenich and can't say I've ever noticed anyone saying Grinich.  Last year a colleague asked if I had any holiday plans and I said "no, but I'm going down for the game at Chul-un next week" :o Was a bit shocked at myself, but secretely pleased that I've obviously been Chul-un-ised!
  • Options
    If you’re posh and get out the bath to have a piss you say Grenich, if not it’s Grinich.
  • Options
    Always called it Grenich - majority of long term locals go for Grinich.