Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Grinich' or 'Grenich'

Comments

• Options
    Grinidge for me too. 
    And Woolidge. Charlton comes out a bit like Charwton.
    And Blackeef. I was brought up in Earif. 
    Eltham is El'um where the ' is a glottal stop. (Or glo' aw stop if we get fernetik). 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    chulton sandwiched between grinidge and woolidge is how it is  

With Plumstid just to the east.
    Weirdly that seems to have an extra almost silent p for me - Plum(p)stid. Bit like how the l in Charlton is hardly there either.
    ETA on the original question, another vote for grinidge here, and I was born there according to my birth certificate. Although technically I suspect it was actually Woolwich, as it was the old Mothers and Babies hospital.
    Must be a British Hospital for Mothers and Babies thing because I pronounce Plumstead with a soft p too.

Always Grinidge. Years ago a colleague from the Caledonian Road correctly identified that I came from South East London from a conversation about Grinidge Mean Time. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Theres no t in it
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:

and eltum to the south
    Theres no t in it
  • Options
    Born in grinidge, grew up in grinidge just like my old dears family. 

Although it seems to have been renamed to gren-etch what with all the poshy types that flood the area now. 
  • Options
    Grinidge.
    Plumpstid.
    I was alsol born in BHMB.
  • Options
    Surely it’s Chul-un. No T, just a glottal stop. 
    I would say a definite T.... Chulton 
  • Options
    Green Witch
  • Options
    Grnch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Green Witch

Nah just Grenitch or Grenidge when I'm there...
  • Options
    I too was born in the BHMB but grew up in Dartford, so maybe that's why I say Grenidge

Alternatively it was a childhood watching Gordon Greenidge destroying England's bowlers!
  • Options
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10952788.burning-questions-how-should-greenwich-be-pronounced/

The NS did a survey in 2014, Gren-itch won narrowly from Grin-idge and then Gren-idge!
  • Options
    Grew up in Grinnidge and that's what we all called it. It doesn't bother me how anyone else pronounces it but I do get annoyed when I hear news reports about 'Errith' or 'Elth-ham.'
  • Options
    Grenidge. As in Gordon....
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:

and eltum to the south
    Theres no t in it
    a soft t same as in chulton has been agreed i'm afraid - when singing chulton the t is dropped but when spoken its a soft south east london t - there probably is a more technical term for one of those  
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Having heard yet another journalist pronounce 'Greenwich' as 'Grenich' on the radio earlier I just wondered what the consensus on here was as to the 'correct' version?

As an SE18 lad in my early days always 'Grinich' for me and my gut feeling is that would be the view of most 'locals' with outsiders saying 'Grenich.'
    Always thoiught the same as this about the different pronounciation - I've found locals end to say Grinidge or even Grinich
  • Options
    Only ever heard it as Grenitch, so many Americans think it's Green-witch and it makes me cringe every time I hear it 
  • Options
    Grin-ige

Loo-sham

Wool-ige

Chul-un

Saaf Eas Lundun

• Options
    Grinidge.
    Woolidge.
    Charlton I have always pronounced like Bolton.

My son who was born and raised in Bournemouth has an amusing way of pronouncing Sandwich - i.e he pronounces it properly, exactly as it reads whereas as I say Samwidge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As an aside, it's definitely El'um, or at a push Eltum, anyone who calls it "Ellfum" is a dandy and a sop and a nincompoop
  • Options
    Have had this discussion with my wife. She’s from the posher side of south London and says “Plum-sted” and “Wool-itch” . Having been brought up in Plumstead, for me it’s always “Plum-stid” and “Wool-idge”.

Strangely, I think the names of the local towns are the only words I actually pronounce with a south east London twang. Most people struggle to place my accent.
  • Options
    Falconwood,  The lady announced on the train pronounces it foolconwood but everyone I know calls it foulconwood
  • Options
    Grinidge 
  • Options
    Reading through, I’m surprised by how many say “gren” rather than “grin” for Greenwich. 2nd half of the word seems more agreeable.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Having heard yet another journalist pronounce 'Greenwich' as 'Grenich' on the radio earlier I just wondered what the consensus on here was as to the 'correct' version?

As an SE18 lad in my early days always 'Grinich' for me and my gut feeling is that would be the view of most 'locals' with outsiders saying 'Grenich.'
    Like you Len, I will go with whatever the officially designated EU pronunciation is. 

Would be good to know their view, don’t you think? 

;-)
  • Options
    Grinidge, Plumstid, Woolidge, Eltum (with subdued t), Lower Road and Charl'un. BHMB parlance it would seem. And Covered In Market, not public. 
  • Options
    Isn’t it ‘Grinidge’ or ‘Grenarrrtch’?
  • Options
    Grinich for me 
  • Options
    Grinidge for me

Graaanaaarch for the people of Blackheath