Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most underrated player for Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Whilst he was a bit lightweight I always enjoyed watching Mark Stuart - on his day a tidy skilful player 
    Very underrated. Got goals in the promotion season and then again in the top division. 
  • Options
    None of these other than Diawara and the Keepers were ever actually underrated IMO. Lots of them were rated quite highly whilst we were here. Kishishev for example one of our most rated players in my lifetime.
  • Options
    +1 for Keith Jones. Went about his business and was a vital player in the 98 play off season. One of the best £150k the club has ever spent. 
  • Options
    Whilst he was a bit lightweight I always enjoyed watching Mark Stuart - on his day a tidy skilful player 
    Good shout.

Wonderful to watch on his day but didn't always have 'his day.'

Lennie's Barcelona or Bromley quote was very apt.

He (Stuart) played for Rochdale for a while and they loved him up there.
  • Options
    Dare I suggest Alan Pardew (the player)

Never very popular, but for a couple of season his goalscoring was crucial in keeping us in mid table at a time when we were desperately short of money and didn't have prolific strikers

9 league goals in 92/93 and 10 league goals in 93/94, how much would a Championship midfielder with those numbers be worth now?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    LenGlover said:
    You don't play 179 Premiership games if you are c***, even if it is only midtable boring premiership football,  despite the viewpoint of our booboys at the time.

I am of course, like others above me, referring to Radostin Kishishev.

Some may have realised that actually he wasn't bad when, well past his peak, he p***** all over the much vaunted Semedo and Racon when Brighton stuffed us 4-0 at The Valley.

Great player for us and gave his all for the shirt every time.
    Agree. Very underrated player, humble lad and will always be remembered for this

Who is that in the dugout in the suit? Peacock? 
  • Options
    i always thought Diawara was rated. certainly don't remember him receiving undeserved abuse from fans. i used to call him Yaya Diawara in respect that he was like Yaya Toure for us. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Players who do all the dirty work like Kish are often underrated - you only appreciate their work when they're not playing and see the difference.
    Kish was more than a workhorse, he was a skilful passer of the ball

He could play a delightful through ball, seeing opportunities a good second or two before the likes of Lisbinho, but because the intended target was so slow seeing the chance it looked like a wasted ball from Kish hence why he used to get so much grief.

I loved the interview with him on Charlton Live a year or two back; either @LouisMend or @KillersBeard caught up with him when he was visiting The Valley on a matchday and he sounded on excellent form, still very passionate about football and Charlton and the bleeper had to be employed once or twice too!
  • Options
    Peter Hunt
  • Options
    i always thought Diawara was rated. certainly don't remember him receiving undeserved abuse from fans. i used to call him Yaya Diawara in respect that he was like Yaya Toure for us. 

Murray criticised Diawara heavily as did a number of fans - I thought he was a class act.
  • Options
    Peter Shaw (who I saw at the Valley the other week)
    Hugh McCauley

• Options
    Richard Rufus. Rated at Charlton yes but, IMHO, the best English CB to never play for England.

obviously that might have come if he hadn't been blighted by injuries.
  • Options

Murray criticised Diawara heavily as did a number of fans - I thought he was a class act.
    I think Murrays comments were part of him blaming Dowie for everything, and at the time most people took his word as Gospel. Anyone who saw him could tell Diawara was a decent player.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Deon Burton? Can't actually remember whether he was well rated or not but his hold up play was superb. 
    Always rated Burton - as you say his hold up play was excellent.
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Players who do all the dirty work like Kish are often underrated - you only appreciate their work when they're not playing and see the difference.
    Kish was more than a workhorse, he was a skilful passer of the ball

He could play a delightful through ball, seeing opportunities a good second or two before the likes of Lisbinho, but because the intended target was so slow seeing the chance it looked like a wasted ball from Kish hence why he used to get so much grief.

I loved the interview with him on Charlton Live a year or two back; either @LouisMend or @KillersBeard caught up with him when he was visiting The Valley on a matchday and he sounded on excellent form, still very passionate about football and Charlton and the bleeper had to be employed once or twice too!
    Interview is somewhere in this pod from back in 2016 https://aca.st/2e831a
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Addickted said:
    LenGlover said:
    You don't play 179 Premiership games if you are c***, even if it is only midtable boring premiership football,  despite the viewpoint of our booboys at the time.

I am of course, like others above me, referring to Radostin Kishishev.

Some may have realised that actually he wasn't bad when, well past his peak, he p***** all over the much vaunted Semedo and Racon when Brighton stuffed us 4-0 at The Valley.

Great player for us and gave his all for the shirt every time.
    Agree. Very underrated player, humble lad and will always be remembered for this

Who is that in the dugout in the suit? Peacock? 
    No......but I don’t know who it is?
  • Options

now you mention it i do remember Murray saying he was the most expensive player that no one has ever heard off. 
  • Options
    John Pearson.
  • Options
    I didn't think David Mooney was as bad as some made out... *runs for cover*
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Had some quality strikers - Akpo Sodje, Paul Benson, Pawel Abbott....

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:

Don't forget Tresor Kandol... 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Don't forget Tresor Kandol... 
    Chris Dickson
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Keep running!